Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Phillipines???

Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Phillipines???

Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Chris351 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Phillipines???

Just read through and see how the people who love living in Thailand behave.
They attack , disallow opnions and really have no argument . They like it and that's OK ' I hate it and that's wrong

As for outing my identity Karen, presumably in Karon , Is that really an honorable way to proceed with discourse ?

Actually Is that really within this forum's rules??

And you're ridiculing me for trying to help animals? Just because you disagree with my stance on Two-Two Faced Thailand ?
Yes I see you fit perfectly within Thailand

Perhaps as you're so interested in my identity we'll meet at the upcoming Women's Club event next Saturday and we can have this conversation in person.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:42 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Chris, Phuketti, whoever you are - I have absolutely no side to take in this, I have never met Karen or any other poster on this thread, I don't live in Phuket or even Thailand, but I have to ask what the hell is your problem?

People come on this thread to discuss moving to Asia, to try to have a grown-up conversation. You may have some valid points to make but when you start ranting, you don't make a lot of sense, and I doubt people will take a lot of notice.

It is you that always equates Thailand with sex.

You always resort to comments about maids - did anybody mention having a maid? I'm not reading back over this thread but I don't think so. Regardless, why have a cheap shot at people if they do have one? Chip on your shoulder?

You're obviously not happy - I could make some assumptions but, unlike you, I don't want to get so personal. Why don't you just leave Thailand?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katongkaren
San F sounds like a great place. Hey, you couldn't talk one of the posters from Phuket into moving there, could you?
Not a chance I now consider it my duty to warn people off Thailand.
Allow me to reiterate
Foreigners :
Can't own land or a house but can own condos in specially reserved complexes which are losing value as the market is over sturated . Can't start a business without 4 (or 5 or 6 ? ) Thai partners .
Difficult to obtain over 1 year residency. Report every 90 days to Police

That's all - for now.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seasider
Chris, Phuketti, whoever you are - I have absolutely no side to take in this, I have never met Karen or any other poster on this thread, I don't live in Phuket or even Thailand, but I have to ask what the hell is your problem?

People come on this thread to discuss moving to Asia, to try to have a grown-up conversation. You may have some valid points to make but when you start ranting, you don't make a lot of sense, and I doubt people will take a lot of notice.

It is you that always equates Thailand with sex.

You always resort to comments about maids - did anybody mention having a maid? I'm not reading back over this thread but I don't think so. Regardless, why have a cheap shot at people if they do have one? Chip on your shoulder?

You're obviously not happy - I could make some assumptions but, unlike you, I don't want to get so personal. Why don't you just leave Thailand?
I say most of the people that like it here are men , Sex-Pats here for cheap prostitutes . And / Or their wives enjoy cheap maids and that is the mentality of those who like it here.
YOu and Karen aren't the only foreign people in Thailand .. are you?

If I'd read my posts instead of the fluff as posts critisizing Two Two Faced Thailand tends to get deleted , I'd chosen a different destination .
And I don't want to leave as I feel I have to stay for reasons I"m not posting here ( I"m sure KKaren will dig it out and post in leiu of an argument. )

Meanwhile I AM AND WILL TELL ANYONE WHO ASKS , my opinion on Two Two faced Thailand .
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:24 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you read my post very well.

It's quite obvious you are beyond reason but just once more I'll say - if you stop ranting, perhaps more people will listen to the occasional valid point you may make.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seasider
I don't think you read my post very well.

It's quite obvious you are beyond reason but just once more I'll say - if you stop ranting, perhaps more people will listen to the occasional valid point you may make.

Please, your civilly toned insults are tiresome and won't discourage me
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AlvinR
Malaysia is a great choice....don't even think about phillipiness Thailand is a nice place for travel (only)....lol
Agreed , a nice place to visit but ...

I"m looking at Langkawi or Penang, I know that MMSH has a 10 year residency .
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:44 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by Chris351
Please, your civilly toned insults are tiresome and won't discourage me
You really are paranoid, aren't you? Go ahead - do your worst.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:47 am
Just Joined

Lars is an unknown quantity at this point

I do see that Chris (He/She) has a vaild point that is revelant to the original poster, and that is which place is better to retire. I lived for a bit in Tagatay in the Philippines and I loved it. But when I went to visit Thailand it was a much different environment. Maybe it was because of the strong connection that the Philippines had with the western culture that made it much easier for me to adapt and respect. But Thailand didn't offer that respect. Their thirst for inclusion amonst their own was a shock.

Chris might come off as a bit harsh but her/his words need to be heard.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Do NOT move to Thailand

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Don't know about the whinging pom bit(Aussies are right up there but generally those whom live in another country,UK for example.)
But what i really want to comment on is the considerable numbers of foreigners whom had moved from Thailand to Cambodia stating most the concerns Chris 351 raised and more.
A big plus was being able to get a longer period to remain in the country .By the way was vert impressed with Laos when there last year.Similar thing a year business visa for either $US 300 or $500 plus Vientiane being such a pleasant low key city with easy access to Thailand for shopping and medical.
Can you open a business in Laos ?
That's my main beef w T land, It's made out to be so easy to start a business when in reality it's anyhting but. It'a ll geared toward putting everything in a Thai's name . Even the entire Immigration Department is geared toward marrying off Thai women to foreigners .
It's institutionalized prostitution .
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lars
I do see that Chris (He/She) has a vaild point that is revelant to the original poster, and that is which place is better to retire. I lived for a bit in Tagatay in the Philippines and I loved it. But when I went to visit Thailand it was a much different environment. Maybe it was because of the strong connection that the Philippines had with the western culture that made it much easier for me to adapt and respect. But Thailand didn't offer that respect. Their thirst for inclusion amonst their own was a shock.

Chris might come off as a bit harsh but her/his words need to be heard.
Well thank you Lars for your kindness and not trying to shut me up . How I detest censorship
( Oh yeah ANOTHER rather unbelievable aspect for a " democracy" is you can go to jail for critisizing the Thai monarchy
in any way )

May I say,

"Thirst for inclusion," that's utter poetry.
How 'bout

Hunger for nationalism ..
or ...ravenous racism

Last edited by Chris351; Nov 11th 2008 at 5:29 am.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:20 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

<<snip>> Admin Edit <Please adhere to rule 8 "We realize members of BritishExpats may also be members of other forums, do not try to degrade or discredit other forums, their administrators, moderators, or their members." Thanks>

And no, I do not live in Karon. And no, I am not a member of the Phuket International Womens Club and have no wish to join, thank you. And Seasider does not actually live in Thailand - if you read a bit more carefully you would know that.

And why would someone trying to set up business in Thailand and attract visitors to their business - why are you trying to turn them away? Me thinks the business might fail.

And your postings have no relevance to retirement in Malaysia, Thailand and Philippines.

Last edited by Sue; Nov 11th 2008 at 2:26 pm. Reason: Discussion of mod/member actions etc on other sites, this has nothing to do with THIS site. Thanks
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Default The Downsides of Thailand :It's not that cheap either

Wow , talk about off topic- ..Thank you, Mod for that censuring.

More things about Thailand that you won't get from the tourist operators-
that you might want to know before retiring here.

YOu always hear how it's so cheap .. Maybe land ( which you can't own) and manual laborers like maids but other things- think again.

-It is governmental policy to charge ' Farang" ( caucasian foreigner) far more than Thais. National parks, etc. you may pay up to 5 times more.

- Used cars are incredibly expensive. As are other QUALITY manufactured products such as stereos

- Imported wine and spirits have very high import taxes, not sure but I can imagine what Thai wine tastes like.

I guess the worst thing for me is the feeling of utter alienation- the constant staring and hearing that horrid name, " Farang" As it isn't said to your face but said when you enter a place a comment that "Whitey" has entered the store...it's seems to be really quite a predjudiced statement .

And Thais have a aversion to truth. I think it may well be considered rude to tell the truth but lying is a way of life.

I will say petty crime is less than in the west however you may want to be aware that Thailand is rated 3rd in the world from gunshot deaths , behind S Africa and Columbia - over 20,000 last year. For comparison gun crazy USA with almost 4 times the population had less than 10,000 deaths by gunshot
Oh and that brings me to Thai fatalistic driving habits
How many places allow one to drive a motorcycle with an infant in one arm and 2 or 3 toddlers clinging on ?
the saying "My Pen Rai " is common it means, " we're Thai, so we don't give a d*mn 'bout nothing.."
Oh and think air travel is safe.... visit this pro pilot discussion site

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/3...rounded-8.html
and for the hairy truth regarding the 1-2 Go crash in Phuket last year

and www.InvestigateUdom.com

Do not Fly Thai...

And the way animals are treated-if you care about such things
I am affiliated with a horse rescue and it is a horror here. Right now there are horses starving at a theme park in Kamala beach and I'm told not to try to do anything as I'll end up dead- this from the local PAWS chapter.
There is a stable affiliated by name with a 5 star resort on Bang Tao bay that had some of the most sickening sights I'd ever seen, in UK the owners would have done jail time and been banned from owning horses again .

But I think this is prevalent in Asian countries , BUT at least MY has laws on the books about animal welfare though can't state if for fact they are enforced .

I could go on and on ...The two facedness of it all. The corruption on a day to day basis ...and the political situation which is going to go nuclear any moment ..... the THOUSANDS of deaths from separatists in the south. The pedaephiles , the sex- pats ....
A thousand dirty little lies ...

So my recommendation, Do NOT retire in Thailand, don't even visit . Boycott it for the consumer rip off that it is

Last edited by Chris351; Nov 20th 2008 at 7:15 am. Reason: clarification
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Downsides of Thailand :It's not that cheap either

Originally Posted by Chris351
I guess the worst thing for me is the feeling of utter alienation- the constant staring and hearing that horrid name, " Farang" As it isn't said to your face but said when you enter a place a comment that "Whitey" has entered the store...it's seems to be really quite a predjudiced statement .
This happens in a lot of other countries, too. While I lived in Japan, everywhere I went I heard "Gaijin" and was often called "Gaijin-San" as though adding "San" at the end made it more respectful. I have a feeling that Gaijin may not be as offensive as it sounds like Farang is, but I am not sure. It basically means foreigner and it is most often used to describe white people.

And here in Barbados, when I'm driving off the main tourist areas, I'll often hear someone holler "White Girl" and all you can do is ignore them.

It can be frustrating because most westerners are not used to those types of labels. I don't act that way so it's strange for me to be treated as such.

These situations make my character stronger and make me appreciate life and what I have.

Good luck to you all.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Default Thai neighbors

One thing to consider is whether you'll live in the city or 'burbs or rural. Will you live next to Thai neighbors ?

If rural or suburban...
Keep in mind , there are dozens of mangy dogs everywhere that are not controlled in any way- usually they are submissive but some neighborhoods have packs that can get quite aggressive.
Trash disposal is a problem too. My neighbor throws his refuse on the dead end lane between out 2 properties. When the wind is blowing away from his home , and usually toward mine-he'll set in on fire. One day he burned a plastic office chair, the winds died down and it smoldered all night cenveloping my home with toxic fumes .
This happens a lot througout the neighborhood. Tires were burned last week down the street.
Either there is no education regarding pollution, or more likely Thais just don't give a ****

Get used to Boom Boom Boom of the bass from stereos too, very late at night or early early early. . Another neigbor taps rubber so comes home about 5 AM and turns the stereo on ... I get up about 6:30 but my last hour of sleep is always disturbed. He moved in about 4 months ago into a house that was built after I moved into my home. I took care to not have neighbors nearby but 3 houses have been built within the last year and all of them have occupants worse than inconsiderate.

NOne of these people acknowledge me in any way but they do stare at me when I come outdoors and snicker and giggle a lot when I do work around the yard.

I post these numerous detractions as I wish I'd read my posts before I moved here. Thailand is a beautiful county unfortunately there are Thai people living in it ...If not for them it would be a paradise.

Oh, someone mentioned jelly fish in Penang.
They are moving into Thailand, too and into Phuket waters.
Bang tao beach has warning signs and a man wrote the local paper about being stung.
People have been killed and there is some talk that officials have purposely kept this information secret as tourism reigns above all.
I went into the water last week and was stung constantly by seal lice , much worse than in previous years so maybe the water is becoming more habitable for stinging critters.

I previously mentioned political turmoil, I've just found a great site ThaiCrises.com it has a lot of commonsense commentary on many subjects.

As I've said before, Thailand is place to come if you're a man wanting sex, indeed it probably reigns supreme in that category. But that's about it .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.