Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Phillipines???

Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Phillipines???

Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Location: San Fernando, La Union, Illocos Sur, Luzon, Philippines
slowsmile is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Phillipines???

Originally Posted by Sheliaa
Dear Mr Slow Smile....I am interested in retiring to either Malaysia or Phillipines shortly.Would be grateful for any advice. I am a single lady.Is it dangerous there for someone in my position?Is there an Ex Pats community?Is there a social life, or volunteer work?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks Sheliaa
I would say that it is rare to see a woman from Europe or America living in the Philippines. Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines all have their dangers.

But I would add that if you live in the provinces or semi provinces(like I do) in th Philippines, the local people are very different to those people in say Cebu or Manila. It's all hassle and hustle in the big cities, but what I've found is that the provincial people are far more honest and much more friendly and straight. Very low crime where I live - the regional govenor - Ortega - has zero tolerance to crime.

There is a fairly large expats community where I live niw - we have Swiss, German, American, English and Dutch people mainly.

There is also plenty of opportunity for volunteer work - mainly from Christian religious groups.

Hope this helps,

slowsmile
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do NOT move to Thailand

Originally Posted by micheal_efc
you are certinally a whinging pom i guess, grow up son and see the good side of life or your going to lead a very sad life.
Don't know about the whinging pom bit(Aussies are right up there but generally those whom live in another country,UK for example.)
But what i really want to comment on is the considerable numbers of foreigners whom had moved from Thailand to Cambodia stating most the concerns Chris 351 raised and more.
A big plus was being able to get a longer period to remain in the country .By the way was vert impressed with Laos when there last year.Similar thing a year business visa for either $US 300 or $500 plus Vientiane being such a pleasant low key city with easy access to Thailand for shopping and medical.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:18 am
Just Joined

AlvinR will become famous soon enough

Malaysia is a great choice....don't even think about phillipiness Thailand is a nice place for travel (only)....lol
Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:48 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by slowsmile
I would say that it is rare to see a woman from Europe or America living in the Philippines. Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines all have their dangers.

But I would add that if you live in the provinces or semi provinces(like I do) in th Philippines, the local people are very different to those people in say Cebu or Manila. It's all hassle and hustle in the big cities, but what I've found is that the provincial people are far more honest and much more friendly and straight. Very low crime where I live - the regional govenor - Ortega - has zero tolerance to crime.

There is a fairly large expats community where I live niw - we have Swiss, German, American, English and Dutch people mainly.

There is also plenty of opportunity for volunteer work - mainly from Christian religious groups.

Hope this helps,

slowsmile

San F sounds like a great place. Hey, you couldn't talk one of the posters from Phuket into moving there, could you?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlvinR
Malaysia is a great choice....don't even think about phillipiness Thailand is a nice place for travel (only)....lol
Yes fully agree Besides Malaysia being a nice place there is also a high level of English spoken and the national language Bahasa Malaysia is fairly easy to learn.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by katongkaren
San F sounds like a great place. Hey, you couldn't talk one of the posters from Phuket into moving there, could you?
Another reason to retire in the Philippines is the index linked state pension that is allowed here. With the financial system as it is who knows what will happen in ten years, expats in Canada, Auss and New Zealand have leanrt the hard way.
A point to consider when retiring to a third world country is where to have your house built. The provinces are cheaper and busy with neighbours and activity. Many of the locals will have not been educated and taught any social graces, spitting, finger eating and men peeing outside will be a common sight, openly dropping litter on the road will also show. We lived in a rented modern house for a year and experienced this behaviour, early Sat morning pigs being tied to a table and killed for neighbours orders. Birthday celebrations, Kareoke, ear drumming stuff most of the night every couple of weeks. We were glad to move into our house in a quiet secured subdivision where we have space for garden and growing home produce.
Then again living here is harder to make friends with up market Philippine families keeping themselves to themselves unless you share a common interest.
For us, the garden and being also close to the sea for boating is the other draw of retiring to a warm cheap country. Our neighbours in the beachhouse include us in all their celebrations and the province folk all speak to us. Halloween night Sunday 3am, candle lit shapes in the streets and a moonlit millpond ocean was magical. (kids stole the candles from the cemetry!)
.....and we have a good recipe for English bangers, U need to make your own here.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:41 am
Account Closed

I think making the comment "dont even think about phillipiness" (Philippines actually - and you are a teacher ??) and "Thailand is a nice place for travel (only)" is pretty daft if I may say so.

A lot of people like living in the Philippines. A lot of people like living in Thailand. You just have to find the right spot which agrees with you, and everyone has different tastes - it'd be very boring if we all chose to live in the same place wouldn't it? For example, I wouldn't choose India though I note from your posts that you love it - that's fine. (Love the food though.)
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Location: San Fernando, La Union, Illocos Sur, Luzon, Philippines
slowsmile is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Yes fully agree Besides Malaysia being a nice place there is also a high level of English spoken and the national language Bahasa Malaysia is fairly easy to learn.
katonkaren...lol. I guess its horses for courses really. Most people who come to the Philippines expect European or US standards. Forget it, the Philippines is a third world country, so if you decide to live here - accept it. There is corruption in Thailand, The Philippines and Malaysia. But most Filipinos all speak English of a sort here which is not like Thailand. Being a pomme, I like to cook curries, rendangs...barbeques etc. I have no problem with the food either unlike some. Plenty of hotels on the beach in SF - all serve European/American grub very cheaply. There is also a proper German deli/butcher here - run by a German - that sells proper bacon, beef or pork bangers, steaks etc. just like you get at home. No problem with English breakies...

I agree also with your comment about AlvinR being a teacher...lol. I guess he likes all that "modernity" and "order" which is exactly what makes western life so bloody boring and expensive.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:46 am
Just Joined

katonkaren...lol. I guess its horses for courses really. Most people who come to the Philippines expect European or US standards. Forget it, the Philippines is a third world country, so if you decide to live here - accept it. There is corruption in Thailand, The Philippines and Malaysia. But most Filipinos all speak English of a sort here which is not like Thailand. Being a pomme, I like to cook curries, rendangs...barbeques etc. I have no problem with the food either unlike some. Plenty of hotels on the beach in SF - all serve European/American grub very cheaply. There is also a proper German deli/butcher here - run by a German - that sells proper bacon, beef or pork bangers, steaks etc. just like you get at home. No problem with English breakies...

I agree also with your comment about AlvinR being a teacher...lol. I guess he likes all that "modernity" and "order" which is exactly what makes western life so bloody boring and expensive.

I believe it's a free world...Everybody has the right to voice their opinion.So who are you to mock and judge others on their comments.Yes about me being a teacher ...I teach Art.

We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path.”
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:11 am
Account Closed

I believe it's a free world...Everybody has the right to voice their opinion.So who are you to mock and judge others on their comments.Yes about me being a teacher ...I teach Art.

We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path.”
Absolutely correct - so why were you mocking Philippines, Thailands?

"dont even think about phillipiness"
"Thailand is a nice place for travel (only)"
unquote

and as Slowsmile says "it's horses for courses" which is not mocking and judging - I certainly didn't find it like that. The phrase means that there are different places suitable for different people - which I think is what you are also trying to say now, isn't it??

Pain and renunciation? Jeez, lighten up ol' chap - we're only on this planet a short while - may as well enjoy it while we're here.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Absolutely correct - so why were you mocking Philippines, Thailands?

"dont even think about phillipiness"
"Thailand is a nice place for travel (only)"
unquote

and as Slowsmile says "it's horses for courses" which is not mocking and judging - I certainly didn't find it like that. The phrase means that there are different places suitable for different people - which I think is what you are also trying to say now, isn't it??

Pain and renunciation? Jeez, lighten up ol' chap - we're only on this planet a short while - may as well enjoy it while we're here.
Listen lady! Get off my back.
what I meant by PAIN ...You wouldn't know! I lost my cousin in the Philllipines.....ok! He was murdered there.....and as for Thailand I was there this summer... me and my family were cheated there
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:36 am
Account Closed

Listen lady! Get off my back.
what I meant by PAIN ...You wouldn't know! I lost my cousin in the Philllipines.....ok! He was murdered there.....and as for Thailand I was there this summer... me and my family were cheated there
Thanks for your explanation. Obviously I did not know of your loss. I'm sure the death of your cousin must have affected your perception of Philippines though I am sure there are many good people in the Philippines too. I have sent you a longer PM. I offer sincere apologies to you if they are required.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your explanation. Obviously I did not know of your loss. I'm sure the death of your cousin must have affected your perception of Philippines though I am sure there are many good people in the Philippines too. I have sent you a longer PM. I offer sincere apologies to you if they are required.

No worries...apologies accepted .No hard feelings.....Sorry if i was abit harsh
on you.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Chris351 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do NOT move to Thailand

No, she (SHE) is not a whinging pom. On the ThaiVisa thread she claims to be an American woman (same as Phuketti coincidentally). Clearly she's a very angry woman with a few problems in her life. And if you note the second line of HER posting...

Thailand offers lots of beautiful women who will sell sex for about 1000 baht and that is the only draw
unquote

Think about it.
Nothing like using an incomplete quote to make a point

My complete statement :
"Thailand offers lots of beautiful women who will sell sex for about 1000 baht and that is the only draw , so the vast majority of immigrants " Sex - Pats " are these kind of men to whom this attribute make Thailand a paradise."

Why is the Thai loving apologists always have to attack in a troll manner and usually it's sexual in nature?
Can't someone NOT LIKE Two faced Thailand THailand for the two Two faced society that it is ?
The poster asked for opinions these are mine ..
And Falang is a racist term denoting a racist attitude toward caucasians ,
to think otherwise is delusional . So how much do you pay that maid?
btw HAve you seen the starving horse at FantaSea, they haven't had hay for 2 months
The way Thais treat animals is reason enough to boycott this place
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

Chris351 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope this helps,

slowsmile
In Thailand, Must Have WORK permit - even to volunteer.
I've even been asked for a work visa to withdraw my own monies from a bank account I'd opened on a tourist visa . Took me 3 hours , but I got it .
When I tried to buy an air card for a laptop , "where's your work visa ??"

I have a one year visa but that isn't good enough . Oh and I have to report every 90 days to the Immigratin , no matter I have a Thai driver's license and a fixed address . I cannever get a straight answer why this is necessary I think iti's about making sure you know who's boss. Or thay assume everyone is a sex criminal, though yeah maybe quite a few Pedophiles come through

This place is a joke , a nightmare , did you read where the PAD protestors are tacking USED sanitary napkins to statues in Bangkok ?

Apparently menstrual fluid is seen as having powerful negative energy.
WTF ???
Seventh grade mentality is pervasive here.

YOu want cheap beautiful prostitutes, you'll be happy. Cheap maids you'll be happy . If you need a little more outta life, you might not be so happy.

Last edited by Chris351; Nov 11th 2008 at 3:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.