Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Uk passport renewal from Italy

Uk passport renewal from Italy

Old Oct 18th 2022, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk passport renewal from Italy

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Top Tip 2: Poste Italiane charge an absolute fortune for international recorded delivery and your envelope could well be sitting in Milan or somewhere for 10 days before even leaving the country. Use UPS pick up from home for about €18, cheaper and ten times faster.
I used Postapriority Internazionale. It costs less than €5 and was quite fast.
Old Oct 18th 2022, 6:00 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
I used Postapriority Internazionale. It costs less than €5 and was quite fast.
Really? That doesn't come with a recorded delivery notice does it? The ricevuta di ritorno?

Old Oct 18th 2022, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Really? That doesn't come with a recorded delivery notice does it? The ricevuta di ritorno?
Its recorded to the Italian border. I have used it quite often and found it reliable.
Old Dec 2nd 2022, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

I'd like to renew my passport online, but I'll give up if I don't sort this out within a couple of days!
I see that I'll need a digital photo; they tell you that you can get this from a photographer's shop or a booth. So I went to two nearby shops and neither of them knew anything about it, only took traditional photos. Went to a booth and got it done there. Good quality photo, with a photodigital code... only it's just a 6-character code. Looking at various web pages it seems that the UK passport office wants something longer, a code in 3 parts. The 6-figure booth code seems to be ok for local Italian purposes. I need someone who can assure me that the code is right for UK passports and not just for the Comune di Milano!

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old Dec 2nd 2022, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jonwel
I'd like to renew my passport online, but I'll give up if I don't sort this out within a couple of days!
I see that I'll need a digital photo; they tell you that you can get this from a photographer's shop or a booth. So I went to two nearby shops and neither of them knew anything about it, only took traditional photos. Went to a booth and got it done there. Good quality photo, with a photodigital code... only it's just a 6-character code. Looking at various web pages it seems that the UK passport office wants something longer, a code in 3 parts. The 6-figure booth code seems to be ok for local Italian purposes. I need someone who can assure me that the code is right for UK passports and not just for the Comune di Milano!

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Why dont you just do the photo yourself? I did mine with my mobile phone. You upload it and they check that it is correct before you complete the application. If there is a problem you can make another photo.
Old Dec 2nd 2022, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

I see. I thught you needed some kind of code anyway, but if you can just upload from the mobile phone that solves the problem.

Thanks philat98!
Old Dec 2nd 2022, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

I see. I thught you needed some kind of code anyway, but if you can just upload from the mobile phone that solves the problem.

Thanks philat98!
Follow the instructions carefully. Good luck.
Old Dec 2nd 2022, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

I did exactly the same thing, dead easy
Old Dec 2nd 2022, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

No, but you have a bar code and can track it on poste italiane website. I always use it .
Old Dec 3rd 2022, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I think the digital photo code is for GB photo booths - I had the same problem and ended up using a photo I took myself. In the end it was the only one they would accept.
Old Dec 3rd 2022, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Those taking selfies - have you managed to get through the automated gates at airports since using that picture?
Old Dec 3rd 2022, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tpw21
Those taking selfies - have you managed to get through the automated gates at airports since using that picture?
of course
Old Dec 3rd 2022, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pugliese
of course
Ah ok - I have heard stories where people have taken them so that they are the opposite side of the face as they’re seen at the automated gates.
Old Dec 11th 2022, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

From a close look at my photo (done by a photographer because I did't really have a suitable wall in the flat to take it against) I see there's a little bit of shadow that I hadn't noticed before sending it off (silly b***er I am). The photo is not supposed to have any shadow so they're bound to tell me it's no good. So what is the procedure? Do they send you a link where you can insert the replacement photo?
Actually I didn't really like the photo anyway, but my stepdaughter persuaded me to send it in.

Another question: I'm going to the Comune tomorrow for a certificate of residenza plurilingua because I haven't got anything else issued within the last 12 months that can ptrove my address. But I just wonder what HMPO means by residence. They ask for "address and/or residence", but in Britain you only have an address; "residence" doesn't mean anything different, so we don't really know what the person who thought up the rule actually had in mind.
And does the Comune print out the residence certificate there and then or do they tell me to come back?

Last edited by jonwel; Dec 11th 2022 at 9:24 am.
Old Dec 11th 2022, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

From a close look at my photo (done by a photographer because I did't really have a suitable wall in the flat to take it against) I see there's a little bit of shadow that I hadn't noticed before sending it off (silly b***er I am). The photo is not supposed to have any shadow so they're bound to tell me it's no good. So what is the procedure? Do they send you a link where you can insert the replacement photo?
Actually I didn't really like the photo anyway, but my stepdaughter persuaded me to send it in.

Another question: I'm going to the Comune tomorrow for a certificate of residenza plurilingua because I haven't got anything else issued within the last 12 months that can ptrove my address. But I just wonder what HMPO means by residence. They ask for "address and/or residence", but in Britain you only have an address; "residence" doesn't mean anything different, so we don't really know what the person who thought up the rule actually had in mind.
And does the Comune print out the residence certificate there and then or do they tell me to come back?

HMPO will advise you whether the photo is acceptable or not.
I had to explain to my comune that plurilingual certificates exist in Italy !!! ( No, signora, sono 30 anni che sto qui e non l'abbiamo mai fatto. Non esiste, solo italiano!!).
Have you checked with yours
Anyway, in the end I succeeded, but I had to come back because it is a 4 page document they have to fill in which is attached to the original italian one.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.