Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old May 22nd 2015, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

It is true that grammar analysis is difficult, and takes a lot of exercise. But it is necessary to understand deeply the structure of the language (and especially the branch called "analisi logica") once for the rest of life. It helps a lot also in understanding other languages, especially the ones with a complicated grammar (e.g. French or German or Russian or Arabic). Now that i am a grown up am grateful to my teachers who made me spend hours in learning a good Italian. Of course I did have preferred to play instead of spending hours on books.... :-)
Old May 22nd 2015, 11:12 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by primularossa
It is true that grammar analysis is difficult, and takes a lot of exercise. But it is necessary to understand deeply the structure of the language (and especially the branch called "analisi logica") once for the rest of life. It helps a lot also in understanding other languages, especially the ones with a complicated grammar (e.g. French or German or Russian or Arabic). Now that i am a grown up am grateful to my teachers who made me spend hours in learning a good Italian. Of course I did have preferred to play instead of spending hours on books.... :-)
Very true Primula - the fact they had stopped teaching any grammar in English lessons at school made it very difficult for me to learn Italian later in life. I will never forget the time when the exasparated Italian teacher said to me in one of my early lessons:
"Oh come on Mike! It's simply an unstressed object pronoun" I thought we had moved from Italian to double-Dutch when I wasn't paying attention.....
On the bright side, learning Italian improved my English grammar significantly.
Old May 22nd 2015, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

I'm against teaching grammar for grammar's sake .. at least in one's native language and even in a foreign language. We only ever got the real basics in English at school ("ad adjective is a describing word" etc.), and I'd never even heard of the present perfect or the past simple in English until I started teaching EFL! Spelling was of course always an issue however.

I started learning German aged 11 and we were never taught any grammar for the first two years at least, in fact it was an oral based course and it was brilliant. We didn't even have to read or write at the beginning it was all based on listening and repeating, just as you do in your native language.
Old May 22nd 2015, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

I'm eternally grateful to a teacher in my 2nd year of secondary school (age 12-13) who went through English grammar scientifically and made us see the point of what we were studying. I don't seem to remember learning the names of tenses but we did phrase analysis, clause analysis, punctuation (which some people seem to find difficult) etc. Knowing English grammar really helped me to learn other languages.
On the other hand we weren't taught so much about how to write an essay or a précis and more could have been done on this side. In teaching there seems to be a pendulum swinging between all grammar (a bottle without wine) and no grammar (wine without a bottle, spilt on the floor). It would be good if it could stop in the middle, but I think it's now stuck on the no-grammar side because those who didn't study it at school can't teach it to anyone else even if they want to!
They say that you'll pick up the grammar without having to study it. This may be true for everyday use but not if you have to write a scientific or legal document. It's like saying that you'll pick up maths in the street; you may learn to count but you won't learn integral calculus that way!
Old May 23rd 2015, 8:16 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonwel
I'm eternally grateful to a teacher in my 2nd year of secondary school (age 12-13) who went through English grammar scientifically and made us see the point of what we were studying. I don't seem to remember learning the names of tenses but we did phrase analysis, clause analysis, punctuation (which some people seem to find difficult) etc. Knowing English grammar really helped me to learn other languages.
On the other hand we weren't taught so much about how to write an essay or a précis and more could have been done on this side. In teaching there seems to be a pendulum swinging between all grammar (a bottle without wine) and no grammar (wine without a bottle, spilt on the floor). It would be good if it could stop in the middle, but I think it's now stuck on the no-grammar side because those who didn't study it at school can't teach it to anyone else even if they want to!
They say that you'll pick up the grammar without having to study it. This may be true for everyday use but not if you have to write a scientific or legal document. It's like saying that you'll pick up maths in the street; you may learn to count but you won't learn integral calculus that way!
Old May 23rd 2015, 9:23 am
Just Joined

garfagnino has a reputation beyond reputegarfagnino has a reputation beyond reputegarfagnino has a reputation beyond reputegarfagnino has a reputation beyond reputegarfagnino has a reputation beyond reputegarfagnino has a reputation beyond reputegarfagnino has a reputation beyond reputegarfagnino has a reputation beyond reputegarfagnino has a reputation beyond reputegarfagnino has a reputation beyond reputegarfagnino has a reputation beyond repute

'you won't learn integral calculus that way!'

Or quadratic equations either, lol!!
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:43 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Random qu from a non Italian speaker. I find when travelling a polite but firm no thanks in the local language is always a good idea to learn to quickly fob off beggars, pan handlers and the usual assortment that hang around tourist attractions selling crap and extorting cash from tourists.

Whats the best way to politely say piss off I'm not interested?
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

"no grazie, non mi interessa".

Accompanied by stern facial expression.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:17 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Ugo51
"no grazie, non mi interessa".

Accompanied by stern facial expression and hand waving.
FIFY Ugo :-)
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
FIFY Ugo :-)

I had written the same but then I deleted it because I didn't want to appear like making a stereotype
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:28 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Ugo51

I had written the same but then I deleted it because I didn't want to appear like making a stereotype
great minds think alike
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 9:26 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect thx, I'll work on the hand waving and a suitably dismissive frown
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 2:57 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Perfect thx, I'll work on the hand waving and a suitably dismissive frown
I just give a stern NO. I must be Scarry.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

I think a polite and sympathetic smile is more pc these days, but avoid eye contact at all times.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

What's the best way to politely say piss off I'm not interested?
I agree with the others. Avoid anything translatable as "piss off" (I'll grant you that you did say "politely").

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.