Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Nov 8th 2015, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by adfletch83
Hi all, our application is in, my wife sent it in on Thursday! Let the good times (or stress) roll!

Application Received in M: 06/11/15
CL or M: M
Meds: 06/10/15

Fingers crossed!
Hello! I have added you to the spreadsheet.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

dminty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

currently our application is undergoing further scrutiny from LVO. Our case is what i thought to be "Straight forward" however i have come to realise that we are applying in the most complicated of cases.

My partner and I are applying via Conjugal Partner status, hence we are subject to further scrutiny, and we currently assisting LVO by providing extra information.

Not sure if many of you have come across this, but there is access to documents that outline what CIC are looking for in applications... I found it as a result of a family member helping search up on conjugal class definitions.

I hope that this will help others understand what the Immigration Officers are looking at in terms of proof and documents in all aspects of Immigration across all classes
Operational bulletins and manuals

the section under Operational Bulletins is sectioned to different types, Inland / Outland (Overseas processing) etc.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 7:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dminty
Hi,

currently our application is undergoing further scrutiny from LVO. Our case is what i thought to be "Straight forward" however i have come to realise that we are applying in the most complicated of cases.

My partner and I are applying via Conjugal Partner status, hence we are subject to further scrutiny, and we currently assisting LVO by providing extra information.

Not sure if many of you have come across this, but there is access to documents that outline what CIC are looking for in applications... I found it as a result of a family member helping search up on conjugal class definitions.

I hope that this will help others understand what the Immigration Officers are looking at in terms of proof and documents in all aspects of Immigration across all classes
Operational bulletins and manuals

the section under Operational Bulletins is sectioned to different types, Inland / Outland (Overseas processing) etc.
Thanks for the link, it's one many use but it's always good to have a reminder of where it is for those that haven't come across the operation manuals before.

You say you are applying under 'conjugal' - do you mean that literally, or do you mean common law / spouse (which is also a conjugal relationship)?

Conjugal as an immigration stream is one of the hardest to get approved, only used for those that cannot live together or get married due to cultural or other countries immigration laws. (as an example, in some cultures living together pre-marriage is illegal - in others, divorce is illegal).
Conjugal Partner

A conjugal partner is a foreign national residing outside Canada who is in a conjugal relationship with a sponsor for at least one year, but could not live with the sponsor as a couple. This term applies to both heterosexual and homosexual couples. This category was established for partners of sponsors who normally would present an application as spouse or common-law partner but cannot due to circumstances beyond their control (e. g., immigration barrier, religious reasons or sexual orientation). Thus, they could not live together for a period of at least one year.

In most cases, the foreign partner is also not able to legally marry their sponsor and qualify as a spouse. In all other respects, the couple is similar to a common-law couple or a married couple, meaning they have been in a bona fide (genuine) conjugal relationship for a period of at least one year.

However, a significant degree of attachment and mutually interdependence between both partners must be demonstrated. They must also provide proof of the obstacles or restrictions that prevent cohabitation or marriage.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 9th 2015 at 7:06 am.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 11:37 am
Just Joined

without going into too much personal detail, Yes Conjugal in the literal sense... at the time of application, there had been barriers that prevented us from marrying and living together, so we just hope and pray that CIC LVO can accept our reasoning, explanations and evidence

We have quote... "been living life as a couple - albeit 5000 miles apart"

If LVO are not convinced of this and turn down our application, then we will then arrange to marry and start the process all over again.

However it would be safe to say then they are forcing us to marry to suit the immigration process, One which we thought they were trying to disparage... Whether we marry or not, they should still be considerate of how we are/feel with each other and our desire to be life long partners marriage or not.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dminty
without going into too much personal detail, Yes Conjugal in the literal sense... at the time of application, there had been barriers that prevented us from marrying and living together, so we just hope and pray that CIC LVO can accept our reasoning, explanations and evidence

We have quote... "been living life as a couple - albeit 5000 miles apart"

If LVO are not convinced of this and turn down our application, then we will then arrange to marry and start the process all over again.

However it would be safe to say then they are forcing us to marry to suit the immigration process, One which we thought they were trying to disparage... Whether we marry or not, they should still be considerate of how we are/feel with each other and our desire to be life long partners marriage or not.
CIC are not forcing you to marry per se as you want to move to Canada and CIC have requirements to meet. What impediments are stopping you living together as common law? Can you move to the country where your partner is or vice versa?
Taken from CIC Manuals
Because of Supreme Court decisions, the choice not to marry is a constitutionally protected choice. Thus, CIC cannot require couples to marry in order to immigrate. However, if they are not married, they must be common-law partners. There is NO provision for fiancé(e)s or “intended common-law partners” in IRPA. If a Canadian and a foreign national can get married or can live together and establish a common-law relationship, this is what they are expected to have done before they submit sponsorship and immigration applications.

Read sections 5.45 to 5.49 of this link for more info
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf

It appears that you want to move here to Canada and your partner is the Canadian or PR sponsoring you and you have both been previously married as you mentioned divorce documents. Read section 5.26 of that link as well.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Nov 9th 2015 at 12:20 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

thanks
Old Nov 10th 2015, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

TorontoBartender is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys. So ECAS changed to decision made for me last monday but nothing else has updated, nor have I had a request for a passport etc. I have had no correspondence from LVO regarding the decision. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Thanks
Old Nov 10th 2015, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at 2014 applicants the longest someone waited from DM to receiving a request for passport scan, photos and updated information chart is 14 days.

Not everyone gets the request and we do not know the criteria which decides who gets the request. Personally I think it is to do with the PA's location and/or their passport expiry/how long ago they applied.

So you may get the request within a week or you will just get COPR in the mail.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Gazzae is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I received my COPR in the post on Saturday (7th) - if you want to update the final column of the spreadsheet. Plan currently is to move after xmas, lots of organising to do now.

I hope everyone else waiting gets some good news soon.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spreadsheet updated, it only took a day to get to you after decision made, so they must have sent it before DM I would say.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Bromelia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone,

Gosh, this waiting game is really taking its toll. Very happy for those of you who have received good news, for the others, who are perhaps like me and are still waiting - hang in there!

I know I asked this before, and it was answered, but from a slightly different angle:

When my COPR arrives, which hopefully will be this month (without wishing to jinx it!!!), at the absolute latest next month, if whatever reason I cannot find a job in Canada and an ex-company or similar offer me something outside of Canada for a brief freelancing period (e.g. a month or few months), how much of a negative impact will this have? I am just trying to keep my options open as I need to start my career back up ASAP and start bringing in some decent coin!

I just want to say another huge thank you to the guys that keep this post up and running.

Keeping everything crossed for all of you out there who are in my situation. It's going to be okay guys ;-)!
Old Nov 10th 2015, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bromelia
Hey everyone, Gosh, this waiting game is really taking its toll. Very happy for those of you who have received good news, for the others, who are perhaps like me and are still waiting - hang in there! I know I asked this before, and it was answered, but from a slightly different angle: When my COPR arrives, which hopefully will be this month (without wishing to jinx it!!!), at the absolute latest next month, if whatever reason I cannot find a job in Canada and an ex-company or similar offer me something outside of Canada for a brief freelancing period (e.g. a month or few months), how much of a negative impact will this have? I am just trying to keep my options open as I need to start my career back up ASAP and start bringing in some decent coin! I just want to say another huge thank you to the guys that keep this post up and running. Keeping everything crossed for all of you out there who are in my situation. It's going to be okay guys ;-)!
Once you receive the COPR forms there is a validity expiry date which is usually from 12 months of the medical examination results or could be sooner if the passport expiry date is before that. Providing you do the landing within that date (no need to establish a residence in Canada) then you will be ok. If you try landing after the expiry date then you wont get landed and become PRs. You can land one day then go back the next day and be out of Canada for say the next 2 years but you must be physically present within Canada for 730 days (2yrs) in every rolling 5 yrs so be careful.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Bromelia is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the prompt response.

I am hoping that all goes according to plan and I can find a suitable job in Canada. It was just a plan B, should plan A not materialise.

I am waiting in Canada, so it would be more of a case of validating the PR, then searching for a job here, and then possibly outside just to tie me over whilst things improve in Canada.

So to maintain your PR you have to be in Canada for 2 years out of a 5 consecutive year period, but to gain citizenship it is different.

Re: the 730 days, is this consecutive within that 5 year period?

Re: when becoming a citizen, is this 4 consecutive years within a 6 year period? And why on earth did the government change it?
Old Nov 10th 2015, 8:48 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bromelia
Thank you for the prompt response.

I am hoping that all goes according to plan and I can find a suitable job in Canada. It was just a plan B, should plan A not materialise.

I am waiting in Canada, so it would be more of a case of validating the PR, then searching for a job here, and then possibly outside just to tie me over whilst things improve in Canada.

So to maintain your PR you have to be in Canada for 2 years out of a 5 consecutive year period, but to gain citizenship it is different.

Re: the 730 days, is this consecutive within that 5 year period?

Re: when becoming a citizen, is this 4 consecutive years within a 6 year period? And why on earth did the government change it?
No consecutive requirement for PR nor citizenship, just a total of 730 days (apx 2 years), or whatever the number of days is for 4 years. You subtract any days you are away on holiday etc outside of the country, so it usually takes say 2.5 years to accumulate the 730 days.

Worth noting that if you are overseas but living with your Canadian sponsor then those days count for PR but not for citizenship.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 12:02 pm
TRC
Forum Regular

TRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond repute

Still heard nothing. Processing for over 14 months now. I'm getting quite fed up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.