Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:13 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by evelyned
Got a question about health insurance. I am going back to Canada for good with my 3 children on the 5th of August but have a return ticket just in case I am running into trouble registering them to school without a Canadian passport.

I know there is a 3 month waiting period to be covered with Quebec "free" healthcare. Can I just take a normal travel insurance that covers up to 3 months at a time and just switch to the one way trip insurance if I need a few days covered until I get my "carte soleil"?? Hope this all makes sense.

The one way trip insurance would cost me £345 for 4 months compared to £171 for a normal one.
You need to check if it covers immigration insurance - that will be your question mark... you don't want to run into trouble at month 2.5 before Quebec insurance has kicked in, and if your kids are in school your travel insurance in the UK may not pay out because, well, you've moved - your kids are in school etc.

You would probably be okay to be covered under travel insurance since you are entering as a visitor and have a return ticket, but your kids, who are Canadian and would be in school, may have trouble. (Obviously I don't know for sure, it's just my opinion.)

A bucket of people on the board, myself included, have gone with CanadaSure, which is specifically for the wait period before your health care kicks in. I'd suggest using this for your kids from when you move, it will cover them for the 90 days. For you, as I said you should be fine on your own travel insurance, and then once you land, get this for yourself. (I'm not sure if your time as a visitor would count in Quebec; I know it doesn't in Ontario, the 90 days commences once you officially become resident.)
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

evelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
You need to check if it covers immigration insurance - that will be your question mark... you don't want to run into trouble at month 2.5 before Quebec insurance has kicked in, and if your kids are in school your travel insurance in the UK may not pay out because, well, you've moved - your kids are in school etc.

You would probably be okay to be covered under travel insurance since you are entering as a visitor and have a return ticket, but your kids, who are Canadian and would be in school, may have trouble. (Obviously I don't know for sure, it's just my opinion.)

A bucket of people on the board, myself included, have gone with CanadaSure, which is specifically for the wait period before your health care kicks in. I'd suggest using this for your kids from when you move, it will cover them for the 90 days. For you, as I said you should be fine on your own travel insurance, and then once you land, get this for yourself. (I'm not sure if your time as a visitor would count in Quebec; I know it doesn't in Ontario, the 90 days commences once you officially become resident.)
Ok thanks. Will have a look at CanadaSure. Definitely don't want to have problems if something happens.

ps. One of the extra activity in the insurance was called "Hot Dogging". Not knowing what it was I googled it. Bad mistake!
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:26 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

GAAAH DO NOT GOOGLE. NSFW!!!!

WTF?! Which insurance policy said they didn't cover it -- and I suspect their definition is NOT the one I just read at Urban Dictionary, which was the first result when I typed in "hot dogging".

NSFW NSFW NSFW. And now here's hoping IT is not monitoring my searches, as I *am* at work.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Stewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond repute

Hotdogging History | SURFLINE.COM
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:33 pm
Concierge

That is so much better.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

evelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond repute

That is so much better.
Hahaha! Second hit is pretty disturbing isn't it!! Why couldn't they just call it surfing?!?
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

nicolasta is an unknown quantity at this point

Just back from sunny Newfoundland (no really the weather was gorgeous!). A couple of days after i got there - July 2nd - I had some communication from London ..... hurray!
They are looking for the following in order to progress:
"New Schedule A - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5669E.pdf
Original Police Certificate from Ireland
Please be advised that your copy on file has now expired."

I was one of the ones that took the form at its word and filled in IMM5669 for the last 10 years instead of since I was 18.

Have to wait around for the new police cert and then will send in updated documents, at least I got communication. Not as worried now as I am 7 months pregnant and banned from travel until mid November.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:44 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by nicolasta
Just back from sunny Newfoundland (no really the weather was gorgeous!). A couple of days after i got there - July 2nd - I had some communication from London ..... hurray!
They are looking for the following in order to progress:
"New Schedule A - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5669E.pdf
Original Police Certificate from Ireland
Please be advised that your copy on file has now expired."

I was one of the ones that took the form at its word and filled in IMM5669 for the last 10 years instead of since I was 18.

Have to wait around for the new police cert and then will send in updated documents, at least I got communication. Not as worried now as I am 7 months pregnant and banned from travel until mid November.
At least with your medicals extended to May 2015 that means your COPR should be issued to May 2015 as well, so at least you'll have plenty of time to sort out your landing with your new little one. (Congrats, btw!)

I've updated you on the spreadsheet; lots around your timescales have heard recently, so hopefully you'll be approved shortly after they receive the update documents.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

nicolasta is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks SchnookoLoly - I am feeling really hopeful with the recent flurry of activity... then again I am just back from holidays and haven't hit work yet... so give it time
Old Jul 16th 2014, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

abrxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks,

quick update, following ECAS showing "decision made" we have received COPR in the post today!

A few notes about my application, that may encourage those just assembling their documentation now:

1) We are a married couple with children, wife is Canadian. Children are all Canadian with Canadian passports.

2) I provided work and personal history going back to age 18.

3) Since we had lived in two countries for more than six months, we provided criminal record checks for both countries, and voluntarily provided the "your travels" documentation for both myself and my wife for the last 10 years or so.

4) We wrote a three page covering letter

5) Proof of relationship was simply 60 photographs of us, printed on A4 paper, 4-6 to a page, showing our relationship from early stages through wedding, honeymoon and continuing to the present day. In addition we provided a recent joint bank account statement. No other evidence was offered.

6) We sent the invoice for our flights to Canada via the online case specific inquiry web page, to substantiate our proof that we are intending to relocate to Canada. We also gave them the name/address/phone of the Canadian school we had enrolled our daughter in.

I hope this may help some people.

Maybe I will see some of you in the greater Vancouver area soon! We arrive August 20th.

Thanks,
Alastair
Old Jul 16th 2014, 10:57 am
Just Joined

sambailie is an unknown quantity at this point

That I would not suggest. It may or may not be a problem for CBSA, but it is highly likely to be a problem with the airline.

When my husband flew to Canada, he booked a one-way flight. When he went to check in for his flight he was asked about the fact that he'd booked a one-way ticket. He said that he was a Canadian PR and was moving. They asked to see copies of his paperwork (he had his PR card). Not sure if they would have let him board if he couldn't prove he was a PR and thus was going to be let in.

Airlines won't let you fly if they don't have reasonable assurance you'll be granted entry on the other end. He'd be better off booking a return flight, and then just not using the return trip.

Question - I have applied to sponsor my husband, application received Feb 12th and sponsorship March 12th. I know we have some time to wait for the CORP but have decided to travel to Canada on 19th August at my grandfather is not well and I want to start a job there as soon as possible. Not thinking I have booked one way tickets for me (Canadian), my 2 yr old son and my husband. I see you say that one way isn't advisable. Can I just buy a return (Canada to the UK) for just my husband? Or would I need them for me and my son even though we are both citizens?
Old Jul 16th 2014, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Stewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond repute

COPR Arrived this morning! They were nice enough to return all our pictures as well, which was unexpected.

The whole thing has went really quick I think we got lucky, although my girlfriend thinks it was her outstanding application.

Thanks for all your help and support during the application guys.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 12:23 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by abrxx
Hi folks,

quick update, following ECAS showing "decision made" we have received COPR in the post today!

A few notes about my application, that may encourage those just assembling their documentation now:

1) We are a married couple with children, wife is Canadian. Children are all Canadian with Canadian passports.

2) I provided work and personal history going back to age 18.

3) Since we had lived in two countries for more than six months, we provided criminal record checks for both countries, and voluntarily provided the "your travels" documentation for both myself and my wife for the last 10 years or so.

4) We wrote a three page covering letter

5) Proof of relationship was simply 60 photographs of us, printed on A4 paper, 4-6 to a page, showing our relationship from early stages through wedding, honeymoon and continuing to the present day. In addition we provided a recent joint bank account statement. No other evidence was offered.

6) We sent the invoice for our flights to Canada via the online case specific inquiry web page, to substantiate our proof that we are intending to relocate to Canada. We also gave them the name/address/phone of the Canadian school we had enrolled our daughter in.

I hope this may help some people.

Maybe I will see some of you in the greater Vancouver area soon! We arrive August 20th.

Thanks,
Alastair
This is useful, thanks for sharing. Your processing time was just over 7 months, which is around the average right now - so it's great that you were able to provide everything and not have to worry about being asked for anything extra, particularly the history since 18.

There have been some mumblings about a Vancouver meetup for around that time, I'm not sure of the date, I think 4Bells is organising it.

Originally Posted by sambailie
Question - I have applied to sponsor my husband, application received Feb 12th and sponsorship March 12th. I know we have some time to wait for the CORP but have decided to travel to Canada on 19th August at my grandfather is not well and I want to start a job there as soon as possible. Not thinking I have booked one way tickets for me (Canadian), my 2 yr old son and my husband. I see you say that one way isn't advisable. Can I just buy a return (Canada to the UK) for just my husband? Or would I need them for me and my son even though we are both citizens?
It's highly unlikely your husband will be let on the plane on a one-way ticket if he does not have COPR in hand, which is not likely. Book him a return ticket; he can always just not use the return, but he will need it to get on the plane in the first place.

Originally Posted by Stewart84
COPR Arrived this morning! They were nice enough to return all our pictures as well, which was unexpected.

The whole thing has went really quick I think we got lucky, although my girlfriend thinks it was her outstanding application.

Thanks for all your help and support during the application guys.
Congrats! Glad you got it quickly. A complete application with no problems can certainly make a difference. Hard to say if it's THE reason, but it definitely doesn't hurt!!

Good luck with your move and stay in touch! Where are you off to in Canada? (I think you've posted but I don't remember!)

All updates done.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks! Was confident everything was in there but as you know once its off its time to start stressing about the minute stuff.

Toronto, not sure when yet. Time to send really nice emails to my old employers now.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Becki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond repute

GAAAH DO NOT GOOGLE. NSFW!!!!

WTF?! Which insurance policy said they didn't cover it -- and I suspect their definition is NOT the one I just read at Urban Dictionary, which was the first result when I typed in "hot dogging".

NSFW NSFW NSFW. And now here's hoping IT is not monitoring my searches, as I *am* at work.
O.M.G. Can't Stop Laughing

Stomach hurts. Bahahahaha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.