CIC Citizenship timelines

Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of
Default Re: CIC Citizenship timelines

Originally Posted by Ciderman
Applied for my citizenship at the end of October 2008 and took the test on August 12th this year so that part took almost 10 months.

Supposed to be about 1 to 2 months after the test for the ceremony part.
Just had notice to attend our citizenship swearing in ceremony on 28th October following on from our test so 2 months after.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Just had notice to attend our citizenship swearing in ceremony on 28th October following on from our test so 2 months after.
My wife and myself went for the citizenship ceremony today, 28th October 2009, so just about a year from applying to getting citizenship.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and myself went for the citizenship ceremony today, 28th October 2009, so just about a year from applying to getting citizenship.
Congrats

(You can leave now )
Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
I talked to somebody who works for CIC in Halifax about the process and she said that as soon as the application has been processed by CIC Sydney, which is the central processing facility for ALL applications, the files are being forwarded to the respective province for further processing and it depends on the province how long it takes to schedule the citizenship tests. In smaller provinces with less applicants and maybe only 1 citizenship judge, who has to travel around (Maritimes , etc.) it will take longer until they have a session organized, in places with more applicants it might not take as long, before they will contact you...
Or alternatively, "In bigger provinces with more applicants, citizenship judges are busy, so it will take longer ... "
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

here is my timeline (Nova Scotia)
citizenship application sent : Nov 18 , 2008
letter of acknowledgement received: April 20th , 2009 (5 months later)

since then I haven't heard anything, but they already said it would take 12-18 months.... so I am prepared for another wait.

I talked to somebody who works for CIC in Halifax about the process and she said that as soon as the application has been processed by CIC Sydney, which is the central processing facility for ALL applications, the files are being forwarded to the respective province for further processing and it depends on the province how long it takes to schedule the citizenship tests. In smaller provinces with less applicants and maybe only 1 citizenship judge, who has to travel around (Maritimes , etc.) it will take longer until they have a session organized, in places with more applicants it might not take as long, before they will contact you...
I couldn't edit this message, so here is another update in my citizenship application process>
Citizenship Test written (and passed) on Nov. 18, 2009
They said it would take 2-4 months before I get an invitiation for the ceremony.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't edit this message, so here is another update in my citizenship application process>
They said it would take 2-4 months before I get an invitiation for the ceremony.
That's good, thanks for the update. We applied in June / July 09, and still haven't heard back, but it sounds like we may hear soon, and have the test sometime next summer. We are NS too.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

You can't apply ahead of time though can you? We are eligible from April next year, I'm thinking we have to wait until then before we can apply. I am so old that I don't have to sit the test, maybe I will just get notification of the acceptance and then ceremone date. MOH will have to sit the exam though and it would be good to be at the same ceremony.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
You can't apply ahead of time though can you? We are eligible from April next year, I'm thinking we have to wait until then before we can apply. I am so old that I don't have to sit the test, maybe I will just get notification of the acceptance and then ceremone date. MOH will have to sit the exam though and it would be good to be at the same ceremony.
No , I don't think you can apply in advance. You have to have the required number of days on the date you apply and they verify it at the test date. They checked every single stamp in my passport to make sure I had enough days in Canada before applying.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:32 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Just resurrecting this thread as we got our acknowledgement today of our application for citizenship back in June.

Again, it says we might wait 12-15 months before hearing anything more, but I'm excited to read from this thread that it miay be a lot earlier than that!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:35 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Reassuring and annoying at the same time. We sent ours out in September and still waiting for a peep out of them. At least I now know this is normal.

However they take your money up front and quickly. Bureaucrats are sh*ts everywhere.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:42 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Reassuring and annoying at the same time. We sent ours out in September and still waiting for a peep out of them. At least I now know this is normal.

However they take your money up front and quickly. Bureaucrats are sh*ts everywhere.
They're certainly not built for speed, that's for sure

Our application (Feb 09) was transferred to our local office on Jan 12th for final processing & we'll apparently be informed of the next available citizenship test in due course
My friend, who applied 3 months before me had her test in mid-Jan & is now patiently waiting to find out if she passed & when her ceremony will be
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:49 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
They're certainly not built for speed, that's for sure

Our application (Feb 09) was transferred to our local office on Jan 12th for final processing & we'll apparently be informed of the next available citizenship test in due course
My friend, who applied 3 months before me had her test in mid-Jan & is now patiently waiting to find out if she passed & when her ceremony will be
At this rate we'll be applying for another PR card in 2011 before we get the citizenship test.

At least I got my new shiny UK passport through from Washington DC yesterday. There was something deeply reassuring about getting it back.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Marmite lover is an unknown quantity at this point

At this rate we'll be applying for another PR card in 2011 before we get the citizenship test.

At least I got my new shiny UK passport through from Washington DC yesterday. There was something deeply reassuring about getting it back.
Dont forget to get the new Discover Canada booklet. It is different from the old study book. I was told the mid Island has there test November.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:21 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

At this rate we'll be applying for another PR card in 2011 before we get the citizenship test. At least I got my new shiny UK passport through from Washington DC yesterday. There was something deeply reassuring about getting it back.
I bl**dy well hope not! Ours expire Nov 10 ... surely they can get their butts into gear before then

Ooh lucky you, unfortunately we're still recovering from Christmas so will be waiting to get the cheaper Canadian one (looks back longingly to when the kids wanted some Fisher Price stuff & a car/doll etc ... instead of Digital Cameras/Laptops etc )

Last edited by bananahammock; Feb 20th 2010 at 3:23 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

purplemoose is an unknown quantity at this point

Too true

Sounds like we're in the same boat as you, sent ours off 14th Sept last year and still waiting for confirmation. Hopeful to hear something back maybe next month, if other people's time lines are anything to go by...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.