Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Old Aug 11th 2013, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

hi dave do you mean szervusz not szerbusz
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

dave1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

In all my time spent in hungary I have never heard anyone say that word to anyone else. Yes I do mean szerbusz.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dave1982
In all my time spent in hungary I have never heard anyone say that word to anyone else. Yes I do mean szerbusz.
Hello

I was of the understanding that szerbusz was a form of szervusz...and even it could be the way it is pronounced (strangely). I have heard szervusz many times, especially in the local...it comes from the Latin for 'servant'. I would have thought a 'Jo napot kivanok' or 'Köszönöm' would have sufficed is response to a 'csókolom'.

Would like to know what over people think
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave1982
For 1.

From experience and the way it would sound correct to me the response from the older person. In this case a lady would be a response of szerbusz.

For the second No. 2 an appropriate response to the greeting would be a simple good day, Good morning or good night depending on time of day.

The csokolom greeting is used by persons who are younger to show repect for their elders both male and female and also for men to show respect for ladies they may not know well enough in the usual way.

Has anyone notice Hungarians say goodbye with the word "Hallo"

Don't know why, just find it annoying.
For 1. I would have thought "Hello" would be pretty safe, I have never heard anyone say "Szerbusz". I would agree with you on 2. but note that "good morning" does not last until mid-day like in UK. I was told that you only use it early in the morning, perhaps up to 8 am.
Yes, it is frustrating that they have adopted an English word but applied it wrongly and I have never replied with "Hello" when someone is leaving.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Hello

I was of the understanding that szerbusz was a form of szervusz...and even it could be the way it is pronounced (strangely). I have heard szervusz many times, especially in the local...it comes from the Latin for 'servant'. I would have thought a 'Jo napot kivanok' or 'Köszönöm' would have sufficed is response to a 'csókolom'.

Would like to know what over people think
Apologies for the poor spelling....Monday morning and an overdose of Hungarian lessons is my excuse :-)
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers for all the responses

clearly my head is going to get mashed learning Hungarian

my hubby is already total confused.com if he asks for something he does the jo napot kivanok then immediately goes in to german ish

he called to a lady whos child was running off near the road in italian, only italian he knows is from jamie oliver, when asked he couldnt remember the english "excuse me your child is escaping" like a Hungarian is going to understand Italian and better than English
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by heli2010
c
when asked he couldnt remember the english "excuse me your child is escaping" like a Hungarian is going to understand Italian and better than English
I have never seen the phrase 'excuse me your child is escaping' in any language phrase book so I think your OH can be forgiven.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to have a dig around as I have never heard any one say Szurbusz in 5 and a half years living in Hungary... From what I have found it is a 'rural derivation' of Szervusz, Serbus is also the word used in is also a greeting in Slovenia apparently. Maybe it is an Western Hungary 'thang' dating back to a time Pre-Trianon?

Now that I have got over the confusion of Hallo meaning hello and goodbye, I love it, only problem is I used it far too often on the only time I have visited the UK in 5+ years
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

They also use Szia (See ya') for hello!
But don't let it confuse you because they're not sure themselves and usually say both Hallo and Szia for both arriving and leaving!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think szia or sziasztok have anything to do with English but it could be that hello is regarded as a substitute for szia.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I reply to most with hello, it slips out before I know it. When initiating a greeting though, I tend to always use Jo napot or Jo este - never up early enough for Jo reggelt
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Some phrases :-) I am sure the Hungarians and linguists among you will point out any mistakes.

Te sem vagy egy matyóhímzés. - Nobody is perfect
Nem tartozik rám. = It isn’t my cup of tea.
Mi folyik itt? - What's going on here?

Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:36 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for those, had only heard the last one. I'm sometimes surprised at how phrases have the same meaning in both languages.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Nem tartozik rám. = It isn’t my cup of tea.

I would say isn't exactly right,but others may want to comment.

I would say a better translation would be ."Its not my concern" or " it's nothing to do with me".

Someone might say to you, say in an argument for example "Ez nem tartozik rád"....meaning its not your concern, ...butt out, don't get involved.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Te sem vagy egy matyóhímzés. - Nobody is perfect.

I would translate as "you're not perfect either" the Te meaning you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.