Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Since Carrot crunchers thread about moving ended up as a discussion on polite greetings in Hungarian, and since it seems I am not the only one here who struggles with this subject I thought a thread might be useful.

I think we pretty much covered Csokolom, but even the simple Koszonom gets me into trouble.
In English it is acceptable to shorten Thank-you to Thanks, even to people you meet casually, bar staff, check out girls etc

It seems I am definately not allowed to Koszi anyone except the very closest of friends.
also it seems if I am with a friend one of us can Koszonuk but the other can't, or at least shouldn't, the second person should still koszonom.
Correct or no?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Did you mean köszönjük? I have never heard that spoken but I assume you use it if you are thanking a group of people, like kérjük is used on notices in shops and offices as it is the organisation rather than an individual that is saying "please".
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Köszönjuk means 'we thank you' and you use it if you are with others and saying thanks. For example, at a restaurant you can say it to the waitress if there is more than one of you. I say 'koszi' informally, but it depends on the situation and the person.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

As Polgardi states, köszönjuk is used when there is more than one of you thanking a third party, but i would add that I believe more than one person in your group can say köszönjuk. I don't think the rest are restricted to köszönöm.

With regard to kosci, I agree, as long as you use the general rules for formality, i.e. relationship to other person, age gap etc I don't think you can go too far wrong.

I had this checked by my other native other half before misleading you all.

Have a good week.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to see a language thread

Been here for a shade over 5 years and have gained a reasonable vocabulary over that time although my technical grasp of the language is very poor. I am sure I sound like a real "window licker" when trying to have a conversation, however I find Hungarians very patient and incredibly gracious when chatting to them!

I mentioned this on the other thread but I seem to have a mental "crutch" when it comes to nyolc (8) and kilenc (9), I know them with out thinking but when I try and use them in conversation it just gets messy.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

At least you can get as far as nyolc and kilenc, I get flustered with öt, hat, hét...too similar. I currently work, and would like to continue to work once I've moved, with databases and Business Inteligence report writing. That's my career buggered then.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Carrot_Cruncher
At least you can get as far as nyolc and kilenc, I get flustered with öt, hat, hét...too similar. I currently work, and would like to continue to work once I've moved, with databases and Business Inteligence report writing. That's my career buggered then.
My wife suffers with the same set of numbers but has no issue with 8 & 9, one of those things I guess.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

When I fill up with petrol I try to choose a pump like 3 that is an easy number to say!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

I tend to do exactly the same, but extended to all the languages for each country on the drive through Europe.

Asking for toll stickers and vignettes for the various motorways used to petrify me until I found Tolltickets.com, where you can order Austrian toll stickers by post and the Hungarian vignettes in advance.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Carrot_Cruncher
I tend to do exactly the same, but extended to all the languages for each country on the drive through Europe.

Asking for toll stickers and vignettes for the various motorways used to petrify me until I found Tolltickets.com, where you can order Austrian toll stickers by post and the Hungarian vignettes in advance.
I had the old 8/9 problem when I bought a vignette a couple of years ago, I purchased a ticket and used the wrong license plate number. A couple of weeks later got a bill for 45,000 hufs (I think), I wrote an email in my bestest Hungarian (duplicated in English) explaining the situation. I got an email in return explaining that I could take my original Vignette and bill to a maintenance place on the side of one of the motorways and pay an administration fee of 2,500 hufs and it would all be ok.

Not sure if this is still the case it was just after the moved from a physical sticker to a printed receipt, but worth noting!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

The old 'nyolc' issue....I am glad it's just not me I used to look at an advert which said 'nekem nyolc' and get really confused until I asked a friend. 'Nekem nyolc' literally translates as 'to me 8'...but its meaning is something like 'its all the same to me'...'doesn't matter'.... For example if someone asks if you would like a beer or a wine and you don't mind either...you would say 'nekem nyolc'. I think it is something to do with the fact that the number 8 has two zeros which are both the same...but I stand to be corrected :-)
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Polgardi
The old 'nyolc' issue....I am glad it's just not me I used to look at an advert which said 'nekem nyolc' and get really confused until I asked a friend. 'Nekem nyolc' literally translates as 'to me 8'...but its meaning is something like 'its all the same to me'...'doesn't matter'.... For example if someone asks if you would like a beer or a wine and you don't mind either...you would say 'nekem nyolc'. I think it is something to do with the fact that the number 8 has two zeros which are both the same...but I stand to be corrected :-)
Seems to translate to whatever???? New one on me, hay ho

I find this online translation tool a million times better than anything else I have tried, it wipes the floor with Google Translate which is only of any use for a quick giggle!

http://www.webforditas.hu/
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by llareggub
Seems to translate to whatever???? New one on me, hay ho
I think it is 'whatever' but not in a sulky teenager way.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Huh! what a clever bunch!
I am still on 1,2,3. like Fid I either fill up on the first 3 pumps or it is fingers after that!

I may not speak many foreign words but luckily my fore finger manages to communicate in just about every language know to man!
And when he gets together with my index finger they can make themselves remarkable well understood!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes I did mean Koszonjuk, which rather proves the point about repeating what I think I hear and what the actual word should be.

Obviously people differ in their use of this word, I was told that once one person from the group has made the general 'we thank-you' then everyone else should only make a thank you , as opposed to a round of 'we thank-you's'
But not using either gets me a real ear bashing!
My defence that she has just said 'thank-you from both of us' didn't save me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.