Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Well done Pol Do you know how you did yet or is it a wait and see?
I will know in 30 days.... I did well in oral and reading, but listening and writing were tough...so it's 50/50 I think. I was the only candidate sitting the exam, apart from a young Korean girl who took the written exam. Clearly the Hungarian language is popular
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:41 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
I will know in 30 days.... I did well in oral and reading, but listening and writing were tough...so it's 50/50 I think. I was the only candidate sitting the exam, apart from a young Korean girl who took the written exam. Clearly the Hungarian language is popular
I think you're amazing just for giving it a go and I'm sure you will have done well. Listening and writing were what I always found more difficult so even if I got what I wanted to say across, I couldn't understand the reply. I can write the words I know but forget most of the accents. Recently read about a new way to learn it but looking at it as building blocks and simplifying much of the grammar but I'm nowhere near your level yet.....
Old Jun 14th 2014, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's amazing. Is there course material to help you study?
Old Jun 14th 2014, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cathyg
Wow that's amazing. Is there course material to help you study?
Hi Cathy, Yes, there are some books which are geared toward A2 but not many. For a start the ECL webpage and sample tests are here ECL ~ aloldal but they were different this year, the ones here are more easier in my opinion.

Some books and webpage which cover A2 are here http://magyar-ok.hu/en/home.html

But I would highly recommend getting a teacher, who knows the exams to coach and teach you. In my opinion self study alone is not enough. I can pm you the teacher I used if you like.

Also, I found that having some knowledge of Hungarian culture and cuisine helps, which of course living here you will have. I say that because in the listening test there was a question about what a lady had for dinner...and unless you were 'au fait' with Hungarian cuisine, it would be easy to miss some of the dishes mentioned. Also, quite funny, one of the questions was what pets did the lady have...so I was trying to listen out for cat or dog...but it was a cockerel which slightly threw me Or at least I think that is what was said :-)

Another book I found helpful was this one Szita Szilvia: 1 szó mint 100 - Magyar-angol tematikus szókincstár | bookline
I am sure you will be able to find it somewhere else.

Any other questions, feel free to ask :-)
Old Jun 14th 2014, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

I think you're amazing just for giving it a go and I'm sure you will have done well. Listening and writing were what I always found more difficult so even if I got what I wanted to say across, I couldn't understand the reply. I can write the words I know but forget most of the accents. Recently read about a new way to learn it but looking at it as building blocks and simplifying much of the grammar but I'm nowhere near your level yet.....
Thanks Rural I think I am more naive or stupid than amazing! It was interesting being back in a Uni though...I even had lunch in the student cafeteria :-)
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:19 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rural I think I am more naive or stupid than amazing! It was interesting being back in a Uni though...I even had lunch in the student cafeteria :-)
Having experienced Hungarian "canteen food" dare I ask ? A glutton for punishment springs to mind.....
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Having experienced Hungarian "canteen food" dare I ask ? A glutton for punishment springs to mind.....
Being a non-meat eater I chose the lecsó and the rántott sajt...it wasn't too bad...but what did make me laugh was the service at the cash till. There was an old chef who was serving the food and a woman on the cash register, there were only about 5 things to choose from so I cannot imagine the job was a difficult task. However, when you chose something from the chef, he would then write it down on a little piece of paper, and then pass it to the lady on the till. It did amuse me somewhat
Old Jul 11th 2014, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Okay....I know I am showing off....but I PASSED I have a long road ahead of me, I know, but am happy to have got past the beginner stage. As expected I did well in reading and speaking, but not as good in writing and listening. Reading 90%, Speaking 80%, Writing 65%,Listening 50%. But overall I passed.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 12:27 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Well done you, have a drink on me
Old Jul 11th 2014, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Polgardi ..... we've got alot of catching up to do!
Old Jul 11th 2014, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Hungary Hippo is an unknown quantity at this point

A big congrats, Polgardi! I had a look at the site you linked to with the sample questions and I thought some of the English tests were quite tough and as I'm only at a "nem beszelek magyarul" level at the moment had obviously no chance at the Hungarian stuff.

So was it a cockerel that the woman had as a pet?
Old Jul 11th 2014, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hungary Hippo
A big congrats, Polgardi! I had a look at the site you linked to with the sample questions and I thought some of the English tests were quite tough and as I'm only at a "nem beszelek magyarul" level at the moment had obviously no chance at the Hungarian stuff.

So was it a cockerel that the woman had as a pet?
Yes it was a cockerel :-) To be honest, my Hungarian is still quite poor, and the exam was tough...but if I can do it....anyone can!
Old Jul 11th 2014, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Fen, Hippo and Rural
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

What is the correct word in Hungarian for 'rectangle'?

According to my Byki software it's derekszogu negyszogu but according to Google translate it is téglalap
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FenTiger
What is the correct word in Hungarian for 'rectangle'?

According to my Byki software it's derekszogu negyszogu but according to Google translate it is téglalap
My old fashioned (but very good) paper dictionary says táglalap :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.