Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Dare I mention it...

Dare I mention it...

Old Mar 14th 2017, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dare I mention it...

PS:
Just read this in the Guardian - funny in a way:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ependence-vote

Is May really that crazy or stupid?
She thinks she can do what she likes but has the nerve to tell Sturgeon off ...
Old Mar 14th 2017, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

There have been expats outside the UK for years living in Hungary,Orban respects Uk decision to leave, we, as others bring in money to the country, contributing to the economy, paying tradesmen (mostly cash ehhhemm),shopping at retails outlets etc so I am confident we are to remain here as normal. Not being a political animal what ever evolves through Brexit, so be it.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't worry about Hungary going anti Brits, but more the UK being vindictive about the expats living here. E.g. the EU regs forbid discrimination across the EU. This has forced the UK to give the annual pension increases to the pensioners in Hungary (pensions for which they have paid throughout their working lives.) When the UK leaves the EU will UK pensions be frozen again as they were before Hungary joined the EU.
And then there is the issue of health care - will the EU health card still be valid both ways. Mine is issued by Hungary, will the UK accept it or will I need (expensive) health insurance when I visit my family in the UK?
Old Mar 15th 2017, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
I don't worry about Hungary going anti Brits, but more the UK being vindictive about the expats living here. E.g. the EU regs forbid discrimination across the EU. This has forced the UK to give the annual pension increases to the pensioners in Hungary (pensions for which they have paid throughout their working lives.) When the UK leaves the EU will UK pensions be frozen again as they were before Hungary joined the EU.
And then there is the issue of health care - will the EU health card still be valid both ways. Mine is issued by Hungary, will the UK accept it or will I need (expensive) health insurance when I visit my family in the UK?
I would expect pensions to be frozen. No money for any social benefits remember...... I expect May's government to be vindictive as they have already shown over the last few years.

Yes I think May and her cohorts are not stupid as such but they have target fixation that makes them blind to anything else. Also extreme arrogance and a seeming desperation
Old Mar 15th 2017, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
I'm not due my state pension for another 10 years but this is still a worry for me if inflation goes out of control. This would mean I would have to dip into my savings to top up any shortfalls although I do also have a NHS pension which shouldn't be affected as far as I know. This also means I will have to postpone early retirement for a couple of years unless I can retire on full pension due to ill health. Mind you no serious issues at the moment although I do have an ongoing medical condition called tinnitus which isn't life threatening but can wear you down when you can't sleep properly!!!!

Health care is going to be a worry if UK passport holders can no longer take advantage of the EHIC card in either country. I think I'm going to have to tell my wife to shoot me dead if medical fees are going to wipe out our bank accounts.

Last edited by FenTiger; Mar 15th 2017 at 12:38 pm.