Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Dare I mention it...

Dare I mention it...

Old Feb 25th 2017, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dare I mention it...

Found a (reasonably) close by language school that does Hungarian as a foreign language classes. Going to go for it.

I will do my best not to cry too much at any point in the proceedings..... ;-)

According to the Immigration website it states that you can apply for naturalisation after 3 years of residency and if you have been married to a Hungarian for more than 3 years. Got that down! So just accelerating the language learning.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you!
Old Feb 26th 2017, 5:30 am
Just Joined

123Emily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jetsam1
I am trying to be positive but it is starting to look ever more concerning with talk of reprisals over the UKs government refusal to even acknowledge some form of security for EU citizens living in the UK.

Anyone else considering starting to speak to lawyers or emailing the Hungarian government to try and see what the policy direction may be? There may be relatively few UK citizens living here so they will either treat us as an irrelevance and badly or as an irrelevance and be fine with us staying put.

I have two small children both of whom are Hungarian citizens and if anything happens with me I will guarentee my wife will have bother returning to the UK as we all know how non-EU spouses are treated at the moment despite the potential mahoosive backlog I will expect once A50 is actually implemented. It will be funny as she has enough NI payments to qualify for the basic state pension and we got married in Yorkshire!!

We are carrying on as we were but having to look at pushing a few things forward such as selling my house in England as I will presume the Hungarian authorities will count money in the bank towards residency as they don't count income from abroad i.e. a rent. Either way I won't be living there again.

I have to hope being an Ostermelo is enough. Through vandalism and me losing a year to major surgery we have barely started so only have two and a bit years. That will get me to 5 years resident though.

What were the requirements for residency in Hungary prior to them joining the EU? That might give some clues as to where they might go? I am mainly getting jumpy for the kids, the youngest is only eight months....
Hi,
If your children are Hungarian citizens under EU law, you got not be deported as you are required to stay to support the children.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ecord-eu-court

I would however start saving up for a lawyer, as at this rate you will need one. I doubt Hungary gives a damm about 4,500 brits, half of which are students anyway. I have watched this very closely since Brexit and so far May has done nothing to guarantee our rights, it is done for the British government once we Brexit to neogate with each individual country.

Also very worse case, move to southern Ireland, British can live there even after Brexit, due to an agreement we have since 1930, (which might end) then you can get your EU citizenship and move back to Hungary.

Also I read that if you have a EU child, then as a non eu citizen you can not be deported from a EU country as you need to stay to look after that child. But I would start to save up now for a lawyer... I am basing it on this case and this interpretation of EU law....https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ecord-eu-court

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 26th 2017 at 6:33 am.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 123Emily
Hi,
If your children are Hungarian citizens under EU law, you got not be deported as you are required to stay to support the children.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ecord-eu-court

I would however start saving up for a lawyer, as at this rate you will need one. I doubt Hungary gives a damm about 4,500 brits, half of which are students anyway. I have watched this very closely since Brexit and so far May has done nothing to guarantee our rights, it is done for the British government once we Brexit to neogate with each individual country.

Also very worse case, move to southern Ireland, British can live there even after Brexit, due to an agreement we have since 1930, (which might end) then you can get your EU citizenship and move back to Hungary.

Also I read that if you have a EU child, then as a non eu citizen you can not be deported from a EU country as you need to stay to look after that child. But I would start to save up now for a lawyer... I am basing it on this case and this interpretation of EU law....https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ecord-eu-court
By the time Article 50 has run its course I will have been here 5 years so hopefully that should count for something. However the only way to be sure is to aim for naturalisation. Everyone says to calm down and that everything will be ok but when you look at the current UK government and their individual records (May, Fox, Davies and Johnson) it clearly demonstrates that they will happily screw all of us over. They have completely sold out to UKIP and I don't think reality can penetrate that particular psychology.

I was a little surprised when I found out how few Brits are actually in Hungary, thought there would be more. Sadly I have no Irish ancestry.......

I am still in two minds whether to spend the money to get my son his UK nationality as he was born in Hungary. My daughter was born in the UK but is a Hungarian national.

Having said that the UK have just forcibly deported a grandmother who has lived in the UK for 27 years. On a Sunday. So they couldn't even contact a solicitor. All bets are off with this Tory government I'm afraid. It's time to think only of our own future.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to start worrying about this until June next year or having chatted to a friend about early retirement might hold off until June 2019 which would give me the number of years I need to get a full NHS pension.

There's no impact on my Hungarian wife living in UK because her passport was stamped 'indefinite leave to stay' before Hungary joined the EU.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I'm not going to start worrying about this until June next year or having chatted to a friend about early retirement might hold off until June 2019 which would give me the number of years I need to get a full NHS pension.

There's no impact on my Hungarian wife living in UK because her passport was stamped 'indefinite leave to stay' before Hungary joined the EU.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...n-for-27-years

I would say be very careful and take nothing for granted. Looks like this Lady's crime was to help look after her ill parents. This is how the UKBA behave.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

I read that article in the Guardian too and was shocked.

Luckily (for them) my sister who married an Englishman 30 years ago got a British passport - in those days the British passport was better than a German one.

Nowadays she usually shows her German passport again when travelling.

Her children btw have British passports and just decided that they want the German ones too - you never know.

Let's just hope that the EU doesn't react as crazy as the British government!
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I would say be very careful and take nothing for granted. Looks like this Lady's crime was to help look after her ill parents. This is how the UKBA behave.
That's truly shocking. My wife's first husband married for the third time to a woman from Mongolia. She has been here now for atleast five years. They've since had a child. What's incredible is he was unemployed when she was admitted to this country. How, how, how was he allowed to do this. It shows the UKBA is very inconsistent. Cruel as it may be I'd like her deported because he's still unemployed and when he left his first wife he left behind huge debts. He doesn't deserve to be treated differently. And neither does his Mongolian wife because she left behind a ten year old kid with other family members. How selfish.

Might look into persuading my wife to apply for British passport.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FenTiger
What's incredible is he was unemployed when she was admitted to this country. How, how, how was he allowed to do this.
He presumably gained residence under the old rules. In 2012, the Home Secretary introduced new rules massively curtailing the right of spouses of British citizens to live in the UK with their husbands, wives and children. (I don't need to say who the Home Secretary was, I hope...)
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wolfi
I read that article in the Guardian too and was shocked.

Luckily (for them) my sister who married an Englishman 30 years ago got a British passport - in those days the British passport was better than a German one.

Nowadays she usually shows her German passport again when travelling.

Her children btw have British passports and just decided that they want the German ones too - you never know.

Let's just hope that the EU doesn't react as crazy as the British government!
I can only assume that they enjoy it.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Watchpost
He presumably gained residence under the old rules. In 2012, the Home Secretary introduced new rules massively curtailing the right of spouses of British citizens to live in the UK with their husbands, wives and children. (I don't need to say who the Home Secretary was, I hope...)
My Hungarian wife's first husband is English. He emigrated to USA, came back after ten years, got all the benefits, then his Mongolian wife came here from Mongolia. They met via internet chatroom!!!
When I read about other British or their spouses significantly contributing to the UK economy this makes me so angry.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 5:31 am
Just Joined

123Emily is an unknown quantity at this point

How did you get Hungarian citizenship for your children if neither you or your wife is a Hungarian?

As I understood it, it was based on blood lines.

Magyar Nagykövetség - Washington DC

Last edited by 123Emily; Mar 4th 2017 at 5:34 am.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can only assume that they enjoy it.
I think first Must put the Blame the Level of numbers of EU Migrants in UK squarely at the Government whom should have at system in place like Australia, all so if as with some one whom is entering UK on Visa under Immigration Directorate as Partner or Parent and Have to Pay a NHS Surcharge of £600.00 and that the have obtained a English speaking Certificate, Vetting of Such a entry Visa takes 12 weeks, Non of above for EU members entering UK, This last week and more to arrive DAILY hear we Have Fields of Narcissus Daffodils to be Harvested instead of Golden Heads dancing in pleasant Spring sunshine Days, But Hundreds of Migrant Back Sides waggling, collecting Daffodils, near to me I estimated well over 100 whom arrived in Cars better them I could Afford.OK wye no British doing this work, Well all Field Work is Given to Gang Masters they have no Time for UK workers. digger 47
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

The story of this lady isn't quite what her sister claims on GoFundMe.
The madam has just about spent 14 years with her husband, the kids had to do without mother when hubby took them back to U.K. Just read a bit on this topic on BE. Lots of folks have been duped into donating. BTW I'm not British.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 123Emily
How did you get Hungarian citizenship for your children if neither you or your wife is a Hungarian?

As I understood it, it was based on blood lines.

Magyar Nagykövetség - Washington DC
My wife is Hungarian. The eldest was born in the UK and therefore is dual nationality and the youngest was born here. I have yet to attempt to get his UK nationality sorted out as it is rather expensive and no doubt a monumental pain in the arse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.