Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

This is a very quiet forum ???

This is a very quiet forum ???

Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Ras0888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: This is a very quiet forum ???

Hi, just wanted to add that I also read this forum everyday, I also use another French forum. This one is far friendlier, the other is quite often nasty and confrontational. The atmosphere here is nice and its good to see some friendly banter in the posts.

Ruth
Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Surely if they are both penniless and hungry, they could well be less and less as well as fewer and fewer?

Back to topic, I read the forum every day. I personally very much appreciate the civility and courtesy of comments. Compared to other forums it is a breath of fresh air. I am in awe of other members knowledge and helpfulness. We first moved to Spain, before coming to France so I started on the Spanish forum, but on both fora (okay Novo?) I have received so much helpful advice. I try to throw my twopennyworth in when I can, but am very conscious that it is pretty small beer compared to the pearls from others.
So please stick with it guys, I am sure the friendly atmosphere is just as appreciated by newbies as it was by me
Ah, a convert! My work here is done....
Old Sep 18th 2014, 1:00 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

My pet hate is every time I hear (especially on the BBC)
"I would of loved to have..."
But aren't you just hearing "...would've"?

But I agree. I hate reading "would of".
Old Sep 18th 2014, 1:41 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If I may revert to yesterday's thread drift, I swapped e-mails with Val50 today and passed on various posters good wishes.

The news on her OH is that he's stable after chemo and I think a stem cell treatment. He has however had a minor heart attack as well, but nonetheless has been given medical permission to travel and they'll both be spending a couple of weeks in Manche 50 in October.

I'm sure she was pleased to hear that she's still remembered on here.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

BTW Novo my comment apropos Fora was entirely coincidental, as I had not read the property thread - been away in Spain.

But I well remember a heated exhange between my very mild mannered Latin master (double First) and my senior English master (Also a First but from the other place) as to whether a foreign word that had become accepted usage in another language should be pluralised according to the original rule or whether it been transformed into a native word and should be pluralised accordingly.
I cannot for the life of me remember who won but did discover a belated appreciation for my Latin master whose life I had previously made a bit of a misery.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 4:26 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

BTW Novo my comment apropos Fora was entirely coincidental, as I had not read the property thread - been away in Spain.

But I well remember a heated exhange between my very mild mannered Latin master (double First) and my senior English master (Also a First but from the other place) as to whether a foreign word that had become accepted usage in another language should be pluralised according to the original rule or whether it been transformed into a native word and should be pluralised accordingly.
I cannot for the life of me remember who won but did discover a belated appreciation for my Latin master whose life I had previously made a bit of a misery.

The people won. People, and the way they decided to use language, always come before pompous fuddy duddy grammarians (although sometimes I wish it could of been different than this...)
Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:05 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by JWL
The people won. People, and the way they decided to use language, always come before pompous fuddy duddy grammarians (although sometimes I wish it could of been different than this...)
Except, of course, in France and Germany.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:10 pm
Born again atheist

whether a foreign word that had become accepted usage in another language should be pluralised according to the original rule or whether it been transformed into a native word and should be pluralised accordingly.
But thinking of German, often the foreign word was adopted so long ago that the plural form has been retained in modern English.

Example: Ochse, Ochsen (German)
Ox, oxen (English)

There is no hard and fast rule though in English, AFAIK.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

JWL - cheap shot!
And I might add Cervantes to Novos list.
Although I owe a huge debt to the Goethe Institut, but for whom i might never have come to know Wanderers Nachtlied. Which seems a very appropriate reference at this time of night, although I will probably stay late to see if Scotland does opt to leave.

But in principle yes I completely agree with your point. The great strength of English (IMO) is that it is NOT English. It belongs to America (the dominant commercial power), to the Anglosphere and, increasingly, to all those millions and millions of English speaking graduates who are spreading it across the developing world and who WILL decide its rules. If there are any. As an ex phonologist you only need to watch the progress of Estuary English across the UK to see how speech and grammar are changing constantly.
We in the British Isles are surfing on the back of a very fortuante inheritance.
But then that is only my opinion.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is a lovely forum. I didn't know about it when I was in France, as I only came upon it when we were planning to move to Canada. I too belonged to another French site, it was quite horrid sometimes people were nasty, rude and very confrontational. The Canadian forum is busier, but probably because it takes quite a lot more effort to get to Canada than simply crossing the Channel so there are a lot more questions, taking months and indeed years from start to finish so you become quite involved with the posters problems.

I can't imagine why anyone would prefer Facebook, a ghastly thing iMHO.

OP you might enjoy a travel to The Lounge? I occasionally visit. Spain however is always full of action, I often lurk at the back there in a dull moment.