Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

TenTon Polar Bear

TenTon Polar Bear

Old Sep 15th 2014, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Cameronian19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TenTon Polar Bear

Allow me to introduce myself, to all on here.
though not sure what to expect, I will just take my time, and play it by ear for a while.
anyway as this seems to be the place to meet expats, I think its only just and proper, that I give a little about myself, for starters.

I live in the Salford area of Manchester, recently retired after a long, and mostly rewarding career working for the NHS as Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.

we have a couple of Gits in Fugios, Limousine region, which we bought several years ago, and after a setback concerning a dodgy, builder, and trying to cut a path through the Numerous form filling, and bureaucracy, in the form of battement de France, we are nearing our goal, and dream, of completing to the standard that at times seemed like a lost cause.

I now spend up to 8 weeks at a time over there working on the houses, in order to save some money, as i have skills gained working on Building sites back in the 70s which have stood me in good stead.

my next trip is on or around the 30th of september this year for a couple of weeks to monitor some works our new builder is doing for us,

well thats it for now, i would be glad to help out in any way i can for anyone on here who lives, in the limousine region, or for that matter Fugios.

i was thinking along the lines of gardening work, keeping an eye on your home while back in the Uk, or anything else that may suit.

there it is.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 8:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TenTon Polar Bear

Originally Posted by Cameronian19
Allow me to introduce myself, to all on here.
though not sure what to expect, I will just take my time, and play it by ear for a while.
anyway as this seems to be the place to meet expats, I think its only just and proper, that I give a little about myself, for starters.

I live in the Salford area of Manchester, recently retired after a long, and mostly rewarding career working for the NHS as Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.

we have a couple of Gits in Fugios, Limousine region, which we bought several years ago, and after a setback concerning a dodgy, builder, and trying to cut a path through the Numerous form filling, and bureaucracy, in the form of battement de France, we are nearing our goal, and dream, of completing to the standard that at times seemed like a lost cause.
Gits? <damned autocorrect >

Welcome to the forum.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:16 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Gits? <damned autocorrect >
Didn't think it was PC to openly call you kids Gits.....

To the OP welcome to the Forum
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Didn't think it was PC to openly call you kids Gits.....
or to own up to having bought them...
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Unable to offer any suggestions for the Limousine region, but someone else may be along to help.
What's the TenTon Polar Bear thingy?
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:19 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
I think there might be a spelling error for Fugios, too. It isn't in my French Atlas, but maybe it's a hamlet included in a Commune? Which is your nearest big town?
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Since this has turned into something of a spelling bee, perhaps it's as well to point out that it's the Limousin region (with no 'e'). There's no such place as the Limousine region, although I suppose there might be a case for calling the area around the town of Cadillac in Gironde 'la Limousine'.
Cadillac has given its name to a very pleasant sweet wine that goes well with foie gras and which makes a decent, much cheaper alternative to its neighbours, Barsac and Sauternes.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:23 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention the muddle of lower and upper case I/i's honestly someone should report the post
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

i would be glad to help out in any way i can for anyone on here who lives, in the limousine region, or for that matter Fugios.

i was thinking along the lines of gardening work, keeping an eye on your home while back in the Uk, or anything else that may suit.

there it is.
I am not sure that there are many Brits living in SW France to be fair. You might have your work cut out finding some.

I think they all live in Jura and Franche Comté.....

I love Arbois red wine.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:37 am
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by touraine
I am not sure that there are many Brits living in SW France to be fair. You might have your work cut out finding some.

I think they all live in Jura and Franche Comté.....

I love Arbois red wine.
Funny it's like Piccadilly Circus down there...
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Really ????.....well there you go.

I did hear that Eymet was quite popular with the British. Or was it unpopular with the French ? I can't remember.....maybe it was both.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touraine
I love Arbois red wine.

and the white is an acquired taste as well
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Cameronian19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to say thank you all for correcting me on my spelling, and grammatical errors, och, I have still a ways to go in mastering my French, literacy skills, though I console myself that i have a good working grasp of the spoken word.
anyway I could if I had a mind to revert to the language, of my native scotland, which I bet would cause a bit of a stir.
however here are a couple of definitions for example, Braw, meaning beautiful, sometimes changed to Bonnie, meaning the same thing. Sleekit, meaning sly, Clipe, someone who is fond of telling tales, about a person. Ken, to know.
the heads up ten ton polar bear, means icebreaker.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:45 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

It's a braw, bricht, moonlicht nicht. I always though braw meant f---ing cold. Anyways if you vote yes, you won't be able to use this British forum any more so you've got just two days to ask all your questions. (only joking)
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

recently retired after a long, and mostly rewarding career working for the NHS as Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
Och the noo, joining this forum is going to be a bit like a busman's holiday for you then
Hello, I don't know much about Limousin but I eat your beef. And once upon a time long long ago I used to work in Oldham which isn't a million miles away from Salford but probably nowhere near as posh, I hear that Salford has come up in the world in recent years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.