Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Homesick in France! Help

Homesick in France! Help

Old Jan 5th 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick in France! Help

Originally Posted by eclaire
Well what can i say....you're three quarters of the way there already if you know you want to be in France. It really is a great place to live, and those of us that are here already are very lucky. It's not perfect, but what is? The UK certainly isn't either....plus gas has just gone up in UK by 27%!!!!!

My little boy is starting nursery school on Monday, i'm a little nervous but also looking forward to it as i want to get a veg patch underway.....any tips anyone??

Speak soon PJ and have a great trip....x
Hope all goes well on Monday, will be thinking of you
It's a big step.
As to the veggie patch, try and put in as much mulch/compost as you can before you start. It really does pay in the long run. What sort of soil do you have? Potatoes are always a good crop to start with, unless you are in a area prone to blight, they break up the ground nicely for things to follow. Carrots, lettuce, and when it's warmer, raddish, are all good things to start with too, grow quickly and don't take too much out of the ground. Have you got room for some herbs too? They make good edging plants, I have thyme growing around my one edge, it's lovely when you knock it walking past and doesn't die off in winter here. Maybe we should start a gardening thread next
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

eclaire is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by val50
Hope all goes well on Monday, will be thinking of you
It's a big step.
As to the veggie patch, try and put in as much mulch/compost as you can before you start. It really does pay in the long run. What sort of soil do you have? Potatoes are always a good crop to start with, unless you are in a area prone to blight, they break up the ground nicely for things to follow. Carrots, lettuce, and when it's warmer, raddish, are all good things to start with too, grow quickly and don't take too much out of the ground. Have you got room for some herbs too? They make good edging plants, I have thyme growing around my one edge, it's lovely when you knock it walking past and doesn't die off in winter here. Maybe we should start a gardening thread next
Thanks Val....to be honest i'm not sure yet what sort of soil we have. We do have plenty of room for herbs, and i'd already decided i'd like a herb garden too. We did try to grow tomatoes and melons last year, but unfortunatley died off as did many people's crops i think!

What veg do you grow then? I'd like to try allsorts if possible....i've never done gardening in my life but with all the land here it would be silly not to do something with it.

E x
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:36 pm
det
Just Joined

det is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bec
Hi to anybody who reads this

I am new to chat rooms, haven't got a clue about the ins and outs, but I found this website whilst trying to find out prices for the TGV, so thought I'd have a go to see if anyone can give me a boost of moral!

I moved to France with my husband and children two months ago and so far I'm finding it very isolating. My OH was a navy lad and used to traveling, so could lay his hat just about anywhere and call it home. Me on the other hand have left my childhood home of Dorset, does anyone know it? Coast and countryside, no city smog to talk of, no hoodies or gang trouble. Why did we leave you may ask? House prices are HUGE, wages are LOW, I have just had my 3rd child and my husband just left the navy. Coming to France has enabled us to buy a much larger house, albeit to renovate, without the need for a mortgage. No chance of that in England let alone Dorset.

I hoped to meet other young(ish) families through school, but have found most of the british community to be of retirement age around here. I am somewhat tied with my 8 month old baby, and my two older children are in school, 5 miles away, and the fact that I am the only driver of the family. Therefore, no chance of joining any french classes at the mo; no babysitter and no other taxi driver for school trips or shopping. My life has gone from being a working Mum, with a hectic social life, to being a sit at home housewife, waiting for the next trip to school or the supermarket/builders merchant.

I love renovating but my little angel doesn't give me much chance to get involved, apart from the odd bit of tradifarging or housework! My husband has got more than enough to keep him busy, and just tells me to stop being negative about everything, any attempt at spilling my heart out just ends in huge rows. I really want it to work here, especially as I've left my job and taken the kids out of a very good school, but I can't help feeling a bit cut off and lonely. Did anyone else feel like they'd made a big mistake to start with? If they can tell me their happy endings I would be more than grateful!
hi there

whereabouts in france are you?
are you anywhere near toulouse or cahors?
i have quite a few friends in these regions i could put you in touch with.
if you are near toulouse there is a pretty good support network here.
failing that, there is an organisation called TWIG which you could join even if you dont live that near. the newsletter alone makes it worth joining!!
let me know if you think i can be of help to you
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Val....to be honest i'm not sure yet what sort of soil we have. We do have plenty of room for herbs, and i'd already decided i'd like a herb garden too. We did try to grow tomatoes and melons last year, but unfortunatley died off as did many people's crops i think!

What veg do you grow then? I'd like to try allsorts if possible....i've never done gardening in my life but with all the land here it would be silly not to do something with it.

E x

you'll soon know what soil you have when you start digging
we are close to the sea so have quite sandy soil, so have to add quite a bit of compost too it anyone. I was like you, hadn't a clue what to grow when I first started. I love pottering around in the garden though, find it's really relaxing and rewarding. Always put in stuff that doesn't need a lot of fussing over. At our local markets here we have people selling stuff to plant, so I was guided by that to start with. Things like leeks, carrots, brussel sprouts do really well here in winter. Peas, lettuce, runner beans in summer. I tend to only put one tomatoe plant into a pot as blight is a problem here, and affects the potatoes too. You need to not grow them for a number of years to get rid of the fungus. I found things like raspberries did really well too, although they became a bit of a pest putting out runners everywhere. The strawberries are good too. I have rosemary, thyme, tansy, verbena, mint, parsley growing. If you check, you'll find some of the herbs help keep insects and pests away, which is great as I hate using pesticides. Biggest problems are keeping the rabbits and moles out of the garden when things start to grow though
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:26 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
Biggest problems are keeping the rabbits and moles out of the garden when things start to grow though
Down here the biggest problem is the Wood Mice (mulot) - they eat through the roots of anything they can.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

nonny is an unknown quantity at this point

It does get easier ive been here for two years now but Xmas is always miserable as everyone seems to go away. French schools are great with the children, my daughter went back a year and re did her last year in juniors, she now speaks excellent French. Make the effort to try and speak to people, you will not get the mum's at school chatting to you , its not england so yo need to make the effort to do something to make them talk, throw a party for one of the children then the parents will start to chat. i cant say that its like living in the uk, i am still homesick, we've thrown 2 parties and bbqs but i still wish we hadn mved, however now when i go back to the uk i dont feel as though as belong there either as you get used to the customs etc. Good luck with everything, its always better in the summer If there are any organisations in this region i'd be happy to know about them, theres not much that i can find out, its ok if you live in paris !

Last edited by nonny; Jan 11th 2008 at 1:59 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonny
It does get easier ive been here for two years now but Xmas is always miserable as everyone seems to go away. French schools are great with the children, my daughter went back a year and re did her last year in juniors, she now speaks excellent French. Make the effort to try and speak to people, you will not get the mum's at school chatting to you , its not england so yo need to make the effort to do something to make them talk, throw a party for one of the children then the parents will start to chat. i cant say that its like living in the uk, i am still homesick, we've thrown 2 parties and bbqs but i still wish we hadn mved, however now when i go back to the uk i dont feel as though as belong there either as you get used to the customs etc. Good luck with everything, its always better in the summer If there are any organisations in this region i'd be happy to know about them, theres not much that i can find out, its ok if you live in paris !
Keep your chin up.
Summer is coming.
Life is as miserable in the UK over the winter months. We have moved (work related) within the Uk to the South Coast. We intend to relocate to France longterm. I guess we are slightly different as my wife and her family are all French and i have over the years drifted with their culture. That having been said my wife likes a great deal of things here in the UK.
But life here on the South Coast is totally different too, the people are different as are the ways of all regional areas i guess. We too try to get to know people here to no avail. Everybody is so busy and they have lives to get on with. Things will get better for you as you begin to settle, just give it time. Your life is just beginning. Good luck with the future it will be a good move long term.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 5:19 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Well what can i say....you're three quarters of the way there already if you know you want to be in France. It really is a great place to live, and those of us that are here already are very lucky. It's not perfect, but what is? The UK certainly isn't either....plus gas has just gone up in UK by 27%!!!!!

My little boy is starting nursery school on Monday, i'm a little nervous but also looking forward to it as i want to get a veg patch underway.....any tips anyone??

Speak soon PJ and have a great trip....x

were did you hear that? Npower has raised their prices by 17% but the others and mine have not, I am with soutern electricand they have tol me prices will not go up this year for me as I have been with them so long.

Last edited by guest5234; Jan 12th 2008 at 5:33 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

andrew phillips will become famous soon enoughandrew phillips will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bec
Hi to anybody who reads this

I am new to chat rooms, haven't got a clue about the ins and outs, but I found this website whilst trying to find out prices for the TGV, so thought I'd have a go to see if anyone can give me a boost of moral!

I moved to France with my husband and children two months ago and so far I'm finding it very isolating. My OH was a navy lad and used to traveling, so could lay his hat just about anywhere and call it home. Me on the other hand have left my childhood home of Dorset, does anyone know it? Coast and countryside, no city smog to talk of, no hoodies or gang trouble. Why did we leave you may ask? House prices are HUGE, wages are LOW, I have just had my 3rd child and my husband just left the navy. Coming to France has enabled us to buy a much larger house, albeit to renovate, without the need for a mortgage. No chance of that in England let alone Dorset.

I hoped to meet other young(ish) families through school, but have found most of the british community to be of retirement age around here. I am somewhat tied with my 8 month old baby, and my two older children are in school, 5 miles away, and the fact that I am the only driver of the family. Therefore, no chance of joining any french classes at the mo; no babysitter and no other taxi driver for school trips or shopping. My life has gone from being a working Mum, with a hectic social life, to being a sit at home housewife, waiting for the next trip to school or the supermarket/builders merchant.

I love renovating but my little angel doesn't give me much chance to get involved, apart from the odd bit of tradifarging or housework! My husband has got more than enough to keep him busy, and just tells me to stop being negative about everything, any attempt at spilling my heart out just ends in huge rows. I really want it to work here, especially as I've left my job and taken the kids out of a very good school, but I can't help feeling a bit cut off and lonely. Did anyone else feel like they'd made a big mistake to start with? If they can tell me their happy endings I would be more than grateful!
Hi Bec My wife and i went through the same thing ,with a Ten month old baby ,renovating & the worst winter in years ,things will get better ,have you got your creature comforts of England ,if not get your family or friends to send you what your missing. What changed things for us is we stopped renovating the house and went to all the market days and to the lake in the summer, where my wife met an English mums group,this was a great help to my wife,just remember you moved to France for a more relaxed pace of life
If the house is ok to live in just stop work on it for a while and give yourself the chance to get out and meet people.
good luck
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

L'ainette is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Homesick in France!

hi bec, don't worry honey, there is life outide of the uk, & in france!
I came to fr in 2001, divorcee, 2 children with about 3 words of french. I married a french national & our son was born in 2002.
Like you, i was alone with small children in a strange country where I couldnt communicate. My husband is a sales rep, so is & was away mon to friday.
Maybe its because he wasnt there that i coped. i think that the female need to talk surmounts everything. You may get your grammar muddled & search for words, but the french will LOVE you for trying. Trust me. the french are so much more tolerant of 'non speakers' than the egotystical english!
It's always tough at the begining but its worth it & you'll get there. The french are a fabulous race: as tolerant as they're arrogent, as naeive as they're sophisticated. They'll warm your heart if you let them. They're very accepting, & they love kids.
good luck to you & your family
be open minded & dont worry.
michelle
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:19 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homesick in France!

Hi michelle,just popping through to say hi.Lovely post,couldnt agree more.
and Bec hope you ok.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:49 am
Just Joined

nonny is an unknown quantity at this point

i've got a new trick - i dont know whether it will help but i am trying. I have a french friend and we are emailing each other- her in english and me in french- i need to write in french as i have a business so need to send out emails/ letters. i find it easier to write than speak . we are going to try for a while and hopefully she will correct me!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nonny
i've got a new trick - i dont know whether it will help but i am trying. I have a french friend and we are emailing each other- her in english and me in french- i need to write in french as i have a business so need to send out emails/ letters. i find it easier to write than speak . we are going to try for a while and hopefully she will correct me!
sounds like a great idea. I have always found it easier to write than to talk French - my Brummie accent really doesn't help
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Dazzo is an unknown quantity at this point

heya, I don't have any children, just me & my boyfriend in the countryside. It can feel lonely at times but I sit looking out at my garden and can't see my neighbours, It makes me think of all the times i sat stressed out in the UK worried about how i was gonna pay all the bills this month and longing for a day off from my monotonous 10am-8pm job, just to pay for my average semi that was one of 200 identical ones on a single street.

I just think of all the reasons why we spent years wanting to move away from the UK. I know that although the grass may not be loads greener on the otherside, was it really all that green on the home side??
familiarity is easy to go back to, but just because it was what I know doesn't mean it was a really good life, just easier.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 1:17 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dazzo
familiarity is easy to go back to, but just because it was what I know doesn't mean it was a really good life, just easier.
That's such a great way to look at the whole ex-pat thing. People should choose the path less traveled more often, see where it leads!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.