Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French Flour and Stuff

French Flour and Stuff

Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:10 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: French Flour and Stuff

Originally Posted by Wonkay
Thank you. That really is a surprising culture shock

So what else can't I buy in France?
Peanut butter is unavailable in all our local supermarkets, which is starting to depress me a bit as bloody love Marmite (available at a cost) and peanut butter on toast, together.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

as toulouse is so multinational we can get most things either in the supermarkets or in the english shop... however it is all very expensive
Old Jul 31st 2009, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hi,
For all those who miss things from the UK, there is a great mail order site which you can find if you google Distant Brits (I don't think this is advertising, just a recommendation), they don't mark up the prices that much from high street levels, but postage is what costs, so if there are several families or groups of friends who go dutch on the postage costs, you can get hold of things like HP sauce and Marmite at more or less UK price levels. Mods, please don't delete this as it's more of a social help (and I know having lived outside the UK for more than 40 years and still miss pickled walnuts at Xmas!) than a plug for a site!
Good luck
Blackie
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wonkay
Am I misunderstanding this or did someone say you can't get cream? How can I make coffee or pasta sauce or half the recipe's I cook contain cream.
Beans
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edi...inedebletype55
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, thanks for that link, very interesting, loads of answers for me there
Sue
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
Wow, thanks for that link, very interesting, loads of answers for me there
Sue
Soz, was a very hurried search! Interesting post tho. The flour used to perplex me. I also remember having problems with finding cream for whipping. And I had cravings for white sliced toast and vegemite when I was pregnant, but the bread was always too sweet grrrr.
Funnily enough, my mil could always produce whipped cream and decent flour if I asked!

Here's another link: http://www.special.sudouest.com/arti...d_article=3558
Ive copied the relevant content below:

Type 45 - standard white flour used for cake making (sponge and other light cakes)
Type 55 is slightly less refined but still gives a ‘white flour’ result. It is good for things like fruit or cherry cakes, excellent for pastry and can also be used to make white bread.
Types 65, 80 and 110 are all stronger bread flours that show some colour in the baked loaf. As the type number increases so does the darkness of the resulting crumb. The higher the type number the greater the proportion of the whole grain that has been used to make it. Type 150 gives the darkest crumb of all because it is a whole grain flour.
As in Britain, wheat flour comes plain or self-raising. The words ‘avec poudre levante incorporée’ means literally that a rising agent has been added to the flour. ‘Fluide’ indicates that the flour is light and free flowing and ‘La Garantie Anti-Grumeaux’ means the manufacturing company guarantees that you won’t find any lumps in the flour. Buy any packet of Type 45 or 55 Farine de Blé and you are ready to follow in the footsteps of countless local children and make your first classic French cake.

As for whipping cream heres an interesting link or two: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauce...efinitions.htm
http://onlinepastrychef.wordpress.co...ip_substitute/

I guess the missing ingredient is butterfat and you would need to add about a minimum of 30% to ensure a good whip. Try crème entier (liquide or fleurette), normally around 38% butterfat

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:02 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ruthy, great links and info - thanks very much.

I've now got a selection of flours here, farine de ble, sans grumeaux, farine pour gateaux etc etc and the strong flour for bread, plus a selection of the stuff from Lidl with yeast in already. I do get reasonable loaves from the breadmaker usuing the Lidl stuff, but I have to put less water in than they suggest or it just goes into a soggy lump.

cakes still not successful despite having baking powder and bicarb here - carrot cake could have been used as foundation for the extension and my American Spiced Apple Cake has pride of place in our front bank along with lots of turf dug up from veggie plot. Birds won't even touch my stuff - and I have a horrid feeling I just need to accept the inevitable - I can't cook.

Talk about "all the gear, no idea". Maybe I should stick to sewing ("stick" being the operative word with all this soggy bread dough about ....)
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Courgette is an unknown quantity at this point

Cakes. I use the cheapest plain flour from whatever supermarché I'm in, and add Levure Chimique and bicarb. It works fine.

Cream. You probably can get "real" cream in Normandy, but don't bet on it elsewhere. Cream = cartons! If you want to whip it up into Chantilly, it has to be chilled. If it's at room temperature, it just won't work. So stick those cartons in the fridge. I cannot bring myself to use Chantilly Fix, I just feel it's WRONG!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:49 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Courgette
Cakes. I use the cheapest plain flour from whatever supermarché I'm in, and add Levure Chimique and bicarb. It works fine.

Cream. You probably can get "real" cream in Normandy, but don't bet on it elsewhere. Cream = cartons! If you want to whip it up into Chantilly, it has to be chilled. If it's at room temperature, it just won't work. So stick those cartons in the fridge. I cannot bring myself to use Chantilly Fix, I just feel it's WRONG!
We get a brand of cream here in the Midi that whips up just like english cream, Plus if you go to your local Fromagerie you can get cream to suit if you explain to them what your after. If they are the nice obliging type.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

frenchie81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
We get a brand of cream here in the Midi that whips up just like english cream, Plus if you go to your local Fromagerie you can get cream to suit if you explain to them what your after. If they are the nice obliging type.
It's true
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:25 am
Just Joined

Courgette is an unknown quantity at this point

How do explain "fresh cream"? It's not crème fraiche, or any of the other dairy products generally available. I suppose I would have to order it in advance, so that they could get it in from a dairy area somewhere?

What brand of cream do you use, Ka Ora? I use Elle & Vire Crème Entière de Normandy for whipping.

It has made me understand why people here add sugar to cream, though, because it has very little taste of its own.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Courgette
How do explain "fresh cream"? It's not crème fraiche, or any of the other dairy products generally available. I suppose I would have to order it in advance, so that they could get it in from a dairy area somewhere?

What brand of cream do you use, Ka Ora? I use Elle & Vire Crème Entière de Normandy for whipping.

It has made me understand why people here add sugar to cream, though, because it has very little taste of its own.
That's the closest I've found too.