Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French Translations on line

French Translations on line

Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:26 pm
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice
Question French Translations on line

I posted a while ago looking for feedback on French language teaching on line / telephone, and all the feedback and input was great, so thank you all.

Now, feedback on translations please. Is it something that people would find useful? Perhaps letters from EDF / France Telecom etc? Or property documentation? Advertisement translations, for rental properties, English into French? Making telephone calls to various people? I know the latter I have found very useful recently, when trying to sort out a bill that I was sent by the water board. I couldn't have done it alone

I'd be interested to hear what people think. Thanks!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:24 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: French Translations on line

Originally Posted by LindyLoo500
I posted a while ago looking for feedback on French language teaching on line / telephone, and all the feedback and input was great, so thank you all.

Now, feedback on translations please. Is it something that people would find useful? Perhaps letters from EDF / France Telecom etc? Or property documentation? Advertisement translations, for rental properties, English into French? Making telephone calls to various people? I know the latter I have found very useful recently, when trying to sort out a bill that I was sent by the water board. I couldn't have done it alone

The Internet is busting with online Translation services, Not to mention that every Department has a list of official certified translators within the department. When I went to court here I was supplied one by the court who happened to be a friend of mine already.

Very few people start out cold turkey here with no friends or fail to meet very quickly those whom have been here for a while. Personally I use the internet for what I fail to understand on paper, But I scan it use ocr software and let the Internet do it for free.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:39 pm
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
The Internet is busting with online Translation services, Not to mention that every Department has a list of official certified translators within the department. When I went to court here I was supplied one by the court who happened to be a friend of mine already.

Very few people start out cold turkey here with no friends or fail to meet very quickly those whom have been here for a while. Personally I use the internet for what I fail to understand on paper, But I scan it use ocr software and let the Internet do it for free.
I think the Internet is very useful, but it doesn't make phone calls for you does it? I am speaking from personal experience here. It didn't give me an accurate enough translation recently on a letter from the water company, and my French is reasonable. I didn't understand that court proceedings had been started against me because I refused to pay somebody elses bill. Nor did they listen to me when I notified them by email, recorded letter and telephone that the number on the bill differed from the one on my meter. They proceeded. It was only with intervention from a French person was the matter resolved. Does make you wonder........! A couple of properly written letters and a few telephone calls quickly resolved it. (I hope!)

I think you will be surprised at the amount of people that have very few people they can call on to help of this kind. I agree with you about legal issues; this is not what we are talking about. I, too, was supplied with a French translator recently, free of charge, for a property transaction. Clearly there is no room for error there. But that didn't help with the waterboard......
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:03 pm

I think the Internet is very useful, but it doesn't make phone calls for you does it? I am speaking from personal experience here. It didn't give me an accurate enough translation recently on a letter from the water company, and my French is reasonable. I didn't understand that court proceedings had been started against me because I refused to pay somebody elses bill. Nor did they listen to me when I notified them by email, recorded letter and telephone that the number on the bill differed from the one on my meter. They proceeded. It was only with intervention from a French person was the matter resolved. Does make you wonder........! A couple of properly written letters and a few telephone calls quickly resolved it. (I hope!)

I think you will be surprised at the amount of people that have very few people they can call on to help of this kind. I agree with you about legal issues; this is not what we are talking about. I, too, was supplied with a French translator recently, free of charge, for a property transaction. Clearly there is no room for error there. But that didn't help with the waterboard......
If you get a letter from the Hussiers, Then you are in the crap.

Anyway If you were unable to resolve your own issues with your Translation skills or understanding of the French Language, How do you expect to help others with theirs? Because you would have to employ some one who is officially accredited as a translator to supply the service.

This is not meant in an argumentative fashion just pointing out the pitfalls.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:15 pm
Banned

If you get a letter from the Hussiers, Then you are in the crap.

Anyway If you were unable to resolve your own issues with your Translation skills or understanding of the French Language, How do you expect to help others with theirs? Because you would have to employ some one who is officially accredited as a translator to supply the service.

This is not meant in an argumentative fashion just pointing out the pitfalls.
HUGE MISUNDERSTANDING!! (RTFT)

I can't do the translations, silly billy. The original thread was just to get feedback for my French tutor, who is native French, and a qualified teacher. Just interested in peoples general feelings / thoughts. Anyway, you are notably argumentative, aren't you.......?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:30 pm

I can't do the translations, silly billy. The original thread was just to get feedback for my French tutor, who is native French, and a qualified teacher. Just interested in peoples general feelings / thoughts. Anyway, you are notably argumentative, aren't you.......?

I did RTFT, I answered as I found it.

I did not read anywhere in your posts that you were doing it for your French Tutor.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:36 pm
Banned

I did RTFT, I answered as I found it.

I did not read anywhere in your posts that you were doing it for your French Tutor.
To be fair, it was a much earlier separate post
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:48 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I already do this for my English (and German) neighbours when they come on holiday, for free. As a retired translator, maybe I should start charging them (au noir, of course)?
Out of professional interest, how would your Tutor be paid for such work?
Maybe it would be simpler if she posted on the Forum directly?

Last edited by dmu; Sep 17th 2009 at 7:52 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dmu
I already do this for my English (and German) neighbours when they come on holiday, for free. As a retired translator, maybe I should start charging them (au noir, of course)?
Out of professional interest, how would your Tutor be paid for such work?
Maybe it would be simpler if she posted on the Forum directly?
I think it is very kind that you do this for free; isn't that what friends are for? Perhaps you could help me out from time to time? Truth is, I just said I would get some general feedback for her; if people generally would be interested, what would be an acceptable rate, etc. Unfortunately I'm not getting anything very useful here, am I? She has a lot of things to think about and payment is one of them. Paypal I guess. Regarding posting on the forum herself, it is something she is totally unfamiliar with. I am trying to help her as a friend, in the same way you kindly help your neighbours. Can you give any useful input, like what she should charge?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

crystalrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We are moving near Toulouse and in with my in laws in the next few months . I desperately need to have my hubbys CV translated together with a covering letter to send to a couple of French company's. Would your tutor be interested?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by crystalrose
Hi

We are moving near Toulouse and in with my in laws in the next few months . I desperately need to have my hubbys CV translated together with a covering letter to send to a couple of French company's. Would your tutor be interested?
Yes. have messaged you
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:30 pm

Yes. have messaged you
I found this HERE and THIS and a late arrival HERE

This person might be able to help you as they are helping their Tutor set up some online translation business as well.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Sep 17th 2009 at 11:05 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:44 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

In view of those links could I just point out rules 9 & 10 please relating to research and business procurement

Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2009, 6:05 am
Banned

I found this HERE and THIS and a late arrival HERE

This person might be able to help you as they are helping their Tutor set up some online translation business as well.
Kia Ora, you're such a wag! have one on me!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 6:29 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Can you give any useful input, like what she should charge?
If she's in the UK (as discovered on Ka Ora's links) then she should make enquiries at the Chartered Institute of Linguists or Translators' Guild. It wouldn't be a bad idea to contact the Société Française des Traducteurs, either....

Btw, I, too, was totally unfamiliar with expat forums, but soon got used to them. There are plenty of native members who post on the BE Europe forums and writing in English shouldn't be a problem for your Tutor....

Last edited by dmu; Sep 18th 2009 at 6:29 am. Reason: correction of error

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.