Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French Flour and Stuff

French Flour and Stuff

Old Jul 21st 2009, 8:43 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default French Flour and Stuff

Right, my new country-style life had, at some point, to involve my pet hate, cooking, so any advice welcome please:

What's the difference between Type 55 and Type 45 flour? Is one the equivalent to Self Raising and the other like Plain flour and if so, which is which?
Found some Colombe flour in the cupboard left by previous owners, which I looked up in dictionary and it said "dove", so no idea, but used it anyway for a sponge which came out like paving slabs and could have been used around someone's pool.

What's the french for baking powder? Someone once told me if you are a disaster at cakes, use self raising flour AND baking powder, and you can't go wrong, but without knowing which flour has baking powder in it already, and what french baking powder looks like I'm still stuffed.

Longing to invite neighbours round for a little welcome party but don't want to alienate or poison them before we even get to know them, so need help to make cakes as cakes are VERY expensive to buy here!

First attempt at making bread in a breadmaker was a disaster but I don't think that was my fault as the wretched machine was half way through it's doings when we got struck by lightening, so I am blaming that for the completely unrecognisable and inedible brick that was a result. (It was on the bird table for over a week - go figure). Subsequent attempts vary but are at least recognisable as loaves until I try to get them out of the machine cos the little metal thing at the bottom won't come out and if you force it or hit it it either has a huge hole in the bottom or the thing stays in and blunts the knife when you cut it! HELP!!

Any advice welcome chaps and chapesses.

Good day to all.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French Flour and Stuff

baking powder: levure chimique; found in the baking aisles
self raising flour; farine a gateau (i've found it trickyish to find and not as raising as in the uk)

have fun baking
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Right, my new country-style life had, at some point, to involve my pet hate, cooking, so any advice welcome please:

What's the difference between Type 55 and Type 45 flour? Is one the equivalent to Self Raising and the other like Plain flour and if so, which is which?
Found some Colombe flour in the cupboard left by previous owners, which I looked up in dictionary and it said "dove", so no idea, but used it anyway for a sponge which came out like paving slabs and could have been used around someone's pool.

What's the french for baking powder? Someone once told me if you are a disaster at cakes, use self raising flour AND baking powder, and you can't go wrong, but without knowing which flour has baking powder in it already, and what french baking powder looks like I'm still stuffed.

Longing to invite neighbours round for a little welcome party but don't want to alienate or poison them before we even get to know them, so need help to make cakes as cakes are VERY expensive to buy here!

First attempt at making bread in a breadmaker was a disaster but I don't think that was my fault as the wretched machine was half way through it's doings when we got struck by lightening, so I am blaming that for the completely unrecognisable and inedible brick that was a result. (It was on the bird table for over a week - go figure). Subsequent attempts vary but are at least recognisable as loaves until I try to get them out of the machine cos the little metal thing at the bottom won't come out and if you force it or hit it it either has a huge hole in the bottom or the thing stays in and blunts the knife when you cut it! HELP!!

Good day to all.

Hope you've got it right by the time we come and see you

you might find this website useful too

http://www.proz.com/glossary-transla...ranslations/28
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hya Andy,
try this one, full of ideas and recipes:
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/

My experience is that 55 flour is like plain flour in the UK, but is not as strong as 'strong' white flour. I have another site in French if you need it.

Bisous
Blackie
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Here's the other one (French only tho')
http://www.boulangerie.net/
Bisous encore
Blackie
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

Good day to all.
Hi Andy,

Well I have no idea what Type 55 flour is. Both my plain and self raising are Type 45. Farine a gateaux and Farine sans grumeaux. I'm only guessing, but could 55 be strong flour? Don't know if you have problems finding a satisfactory substitute for real cream. The best IMHO is 'Creme Entiere de Normandie. It's not refrigerated in the supermarket, just comes in little 20cl boxes or 1ltr boxes. We find it fine as pouring cream. The taste's not bad at all, and if you want to whip it, try mixing with sucre vanille and some fixe chantilly. (It's sloppy without the fixe.) Buy both these ingredients in little sachets. Cheapest place probably Aldi. I can give you quantities if anyones interested. (She said assuming herself to be on a par with Nigella!) Easy boys!!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:07 pm

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Good day to all.
Try the brand 'Francine' and 'Francine gateaux' is for cakes.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Andy

Welcome to the rural idyll! After extensive research, and because I am a toast-aholic, I use type 55 for making bread in my machine, it is not as "strong" as UK bread flour but makes a decent loaf, a bit more crumbly but as I only make toast, breadcrumbs or pizza bases it is fine.
I use type 45 (from Aldi/Lidl cheaper) for cakes, but I add my own baking powder, normally bought in the UK but I have run out and have to use those french sachet-type things, works fine. I find farine for gateaux quite expensive in comparison.
You can also buy type 65 which is supposed to be bread flour, in my local Super U it is next to the bread, but again it is dear.
Aldi also do those ready-to use bread mixes, the multi-grain is good, just add water, yeast already included. Haven't tried the others yet.
I bring packets of Doves farm yeast over from the UK, again far cheaper than France, but over here you need the "rapide" version of yeast sachets.

Hope this helps!

Sue
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

The cream thing - we have been told to buy the cream with the highest fat content, so entiere, put it in a dish and put it in the freezer. Just before it starts to form crystals, whip it like mad! It sort of works, probably better with fixe too. Again, we bring over that UHT cream from the UK, reserved for special occasions of course!

Sue
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:09 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah wonderful people, I knew I could rely on you lot to help me out! Great websites Val and Blackie - I've started a little exercise book with "special" recipes (ie idiot-proof ones!) and got a few "quickies" for folk who drop in.

The flour thing is very interesting - I have always just taken it totally for granted in the UK - here it is different. Agree with you about Lidl - we use it for 80% of our shopping. The premixes are ok, tried the Paysanne one the other day in the breadmaker with limited success but it does come out puddeny, and sort of wet.

The cream thing again is a shame, as I really do miss that fantastic extra thick stuff you just take totally for granted on the shelves in Tescos. We did splurge the other day coming back from Morlaix at Le Petit Shop at Quatre Vents - it's a wonderful little shop, I think the bloke has converted his garage and he gets stuff from the UK and sells it in there - his mark up is very reasonable too, so I bought some Rhodda's clotted cream and we stocked up with veggie meals for Pete.

The Francine makes I have found these excellent in Intermarche - and they had the leuvre on the same shelf so bought that too and it makes a good french style loaf. That was quite easy to spot as it had "pour pain" on it - quite appropriate in my case as most of my cooking results in "pain" anyway - usually in one's stomach!!!!!

Course one of the mistakes I made was I followed the recipe on the actual packet of flour but it said to use the "normal" setting which I took to be "White". Then, halfway through, realised as I'm now in France probably to them "normal" is the French setting! Duh ......

Thanks for all the advice chaps - I see Aldi mentioned, but have no idea if we have one around here, must look on net.

Have found a recipe for chocolate potatoe cake so that's my experiment for today. Watch out world ..........

Love to all
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Location: Down in the jungle living in a tent... better than a prefab no rent.
Wonkay is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I misunderstanding this or did someone say you can't get cream? How can I make coffee or pasta sauce or half the recipe's I cook contain cream.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wonkay
Am I misunderstanding this or did someone say you can't get cream? How can I make coffee or pasta sauce or half the recipe's I cook contain cream.
I know! Seems crazy doesn't it. You'll also see in supermarkets that 95%+ of all milk sold is in cartons. I always buy the 'fresh' milk from the refrigerator, but even the stuff I bought yesterday has a sell by date of 3rd August! It's perfectly okay though. Always smells 'iffy', but tastes fine.

I do use the 'Normadie Entiere' in all the places I would use double cream. Sauces, curries, desserts etc. We always have milk in coffee so can't comment on that one.

It's worth some small adaptations to be able to live in such a great place.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Location: Down in the jungle living in a tent... better than a prefab no rent.
Wonkay is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. That really is a surprising culture shock

So what else can't I buy in France?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:02 pm

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Ah wonderful people, I knew I could rely on you lot to help me out! Great websites Val and Blackie - I've started a little exercise book with "special" recipes (ie idiot-proof ones!) and got a few "quickies" for folk who drop in.

The flour thing is very interesting - I have always just taken it totally for granted in the UK - here it is different. Agree with you about Lidl - we use it for 80% of our shopping. The premixes are ok, tried the Paysanne one the other day in the breadmaker with limited success but it does come out puddeny, and sort of wet.

The cream thing again is a shame, as I really do miss that fantastic extra thick stuff you just take totally for granted on the shelves in Tescos. We did splurge the other day coming back from Morlaix at Le Petit Shop at Quatre Vents - it's a wonderful little shop, I think the bloke has converted his garage and he gets stuff from the UK and sells it in there - his mark up is very reasonable too, so I bought some Rhodda's clotted cream and we stocked up with veggie meals for Pete.

The Francine makes I have found these excellent in Intermarche - and they had the leuvre on the same shelf so bought that too and it makes a good french style loaf. That was quite easy to spot as it had "pour pain" on it - quite appropriate in my case as most of my cooking results in "pain" anyway - usually in one's stomach!!!!!

Course one of the mistakes I made was I followed the recipe on the actual packet of flour but it said to use the "normal" setting which I took to be "White". Then, halfway through, realised as I'm now in France probably to them "normal" is the French setting! Duh ......

Thanks for all the advice chaps - I see Aldi mentioned, but have no idea if we have one around here, must look on net.

Have found a recipe for chocolate potatoe cake so that's my experiment for today. Watch out world ..........

Love to all
Was always able to buy thick cream - 30%MG - in supermarkets in Normandy and elsewhere. Used to use one with lesser fat in it and it worked well too and it was still 'thick'. Many Normandy recipes rely heavily on the stuff.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 12:40 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Good day to all.
Having thought about it for a while, I got my calculator out, From what I can establish the difference between 55 and 45 is about 10 now how you get some one to add that and to what I have no idea so Im off down the Bar to see if I can solve it for you as there are many people who have spent many years working on issues in the said establishment. Dedication thats me. Anyroad what were you talking about because the bar is open.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.