Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

UK to Canadian Electricians the Transformation Registration

UK to Canadian Electricians the Transformation Registration

Old Mar 9th 2008, 3:01 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK to Canadian Electricians the Transformation Registration

Originally Posted by Mick Thompson
Thanks I will,

Do you think the industrial side is as different to the UK as the construction side looks to be?

Mick
No far from it, most industrial equipment is European anyway. German in particular, if you have experience of European schematics, then it is no different than home, if anything, I find myself at an advantage, especially with things like Safety Relays and circuits, of which Eurpoean design leads the way.
PLC programs etc are just the same, its just the archaic construction methods that you have to familiarise yourself with!

Darren
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

losttraveller is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there anyone knows about any company in BC employing british sparks? I was on PNP in alberta 5 months ago had to go back to UK as I couldn't sell the house. I just sold to a cash buyer need to be out in 8-10wks got rented acc.sorted out, but want to go out there as soon as possible.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by losttraveller
hi there anyone knows about any company in BC employing british sparks? I was on PNP in alberta 5 months ago had to go back to UK as I couldn't sell the house. I just sold to a cash buyer need to be out in 8-10wks got rented acc.sorted out, but want to go out there as soon as possible.
Hey
What's your status in Canada?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lived in southampton, but now live in Milton Ontario.
peterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by scimdarren
.....Continued

So now my family and I are about to embark on the biggest gamble of our life, but also our dream.
The house was not sold, the housing market was starting to peak in my area, I was leaving with no where fixed to stay - selling everything I owned and we left the UK on July 22 with 8 suitcases and a dog!

Note from Part 1 that I am an Electrician and I accepted a job as a Technician, the only way I could work in my trade (indirectly). In the UK, this would normally be a promotion, but in Canada it is not the case, a Tech here is a geek who has attended a 2 year course and will usually commission the software and controls equipment that the Electricians have wired, they have a lot of responsibility and I now have a whole lot ot of respect for them, but pity also, I was on $19 an hour when the electrician at the time was earning $28.65.

At the time, I was sure that I was on a junior wage, but it turns out that I was on above average salary and I would never be anywhere near the rate of a Journeyman Electrician. I have sinced realised that rates here are driven by unions, Techs are few in numbers and do not have the strength of collective bargaining, also, a lot of them tend to be younger and more naive- give them a laptop and make them feel important!!
So I embarked on my new career as a Tech, whilst fully intending to get my Journeyman ticket so I could earn a decent wage....but, this was my fastrack way into Canada.

So my first job was programming a Siemens industrial PLC for a special project that the firm had embarked on, that was not in their field of expertise, but a new avenue for the company to explore.
I was very much out of my comfort zone as I never claimed to be a designer or programmer (they assumed I was clever cos of my accent!!). I was very dissillusioned knowing that the same role in the UK and probably most places in Canada would be VERY well paid. But being on a work permit, I could not protest or leave, I just had to 'wing it'!!
I managed to 'survive' this project, a most stressful period.
This project ended and I was then able to work alongside the technicians and electricians back in there primary business of Building Controls. Also gaining Canadian practical experience- the methods are so different from UK.

The pressure was off slightly now and I was able to concentrate on getting my Journeyman ticket.
I was recognised as an Industrial Electrician by the Manitoba Apprenticeship branch. There are more Construction Electricians than Industrial Electricians here in Winnipeg, so the study resource for Industrial, I found to be very vague- what do I study? There were 5 text books recommended, 2 of which were unobtainable? I briefly looked through them in preparation for my exam sitting, semi confident that my experience would get me through- after all it is multiple choice!

I failed- I got 63% with a pass mark of 70%. This had a demoralizing effect as a lot of the questions that came up were not in the books and were hard to research- on top of this, money was tight at home on $19 ph and every month we were dipping into our savings.
Positives that kept us going at this time were that the house in UK had sold and we had a lovely home here now. Shortly after this, our Permanent Residence came through, ending my work permit status- I was fastracked by proving adaptability.

So for the retake about 6 weeks later, I immersed myself in study every evening, locked away from my family- we felt our survival depended on this exam.
I passed! A result as eagerly received as landing in Canada in the first place.

I then met with my employer and asked to move over to the Electricians from being a Tech. They were not happy by this but agreed as I compromised to work on 4th Level Apprentice rate ($23.80) for 3 months, acknowledging my Canadian 'inexperience'.

Although I sensed stigma by some of my co workers as I had an Industrial, not a Construction ticket , some even said I should not be working in Construction (luckily this was cleared by the apprentice branch plus my firm was non union) I was able to gain valuable Canadian Experience in construction.
...And that was my first year in Canada.

I have since moved on and I am now working for the Royal Canadian Mint, not in construction any more but back in Industrial Maintenance, this was a fantastic opportunity with both security and stability, now the roles have reversed in that most of the manufacturing equipment here is European and I am very much at ease- again!!

To summarise, I owe my whole future in Canada to the one firm that hired me on a work permit. I gave them a full year but have moved onto better things. I honestly feel the president of the small company who hired me in 05 was morally, a fantastic guy, he gave me a break and I am sure it helped his ego and image by hiring an Englishman! He was also a very good businessman and exploited my situation accordingly. I paid my dues.

We had a hell of a lot of luck, we jumped the hurdles and I think in our case....our new life in Canada- was meant to be.

Thanks for listening!
Darren
Hi Darren
just read your biog of you starting out in Canada, I am also form a industrial back ground, factory work mainly, my present job is as a service engineer for a laundry equipment company. my question is do you need to be a Certified Ontario Licensed Electrician 309 for all elecrical jobs and if so do you know if the relevent reading material can be obtained before landing. we are in the process of returning our 90 day letter and updates.
any info would greatly receive.
best wishes

Peter Roulston.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:54 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by peterroulston
Hi Darren
just read your biog of you starting out in Canada, I am also form a industrial back ground, factory work mainly, my present job is as a service engineer for a laundry equipment company. my question is do you need to be a Certified Ontario Licensed Electrician 309 for all elecrical jobs and if so do you know if the relevent reading material can be obtained before landing. we are in the process of returning our 90 day letter and updates.
any info would greatly receive.
best wishes

Peter Roulston.
Hi I'm sorry but I am unable to give you the answers for the Ontario related requirement. JourneymanElectrician has spent time in Ontario- he may be able to help?
Licenses available in Manitoba are 'Red Seal' interprovincial, be it Construction or Industrial. There are varying degrees of study material available for both.

Darren
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
Hey
What's your status in Canada?
I was on PNP in Alberta, you need to take exam within 6monts so I been told by my employer thats just run out 2 wks ago. Entered Canada on working visa 24th of August 07. I am trying to get in touch with AAIT if there is anything they can do to extend to take my Red Seal Exam, don't know if that's worth it or even possible.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi I'm sorry but I am unable to give you the answers for the Ontario related requirement. JourneymanElectrician has spent time in Ontario- he may be able to help?
Licenses available in Manitoba are 'Red Seal' interprovincial, be it Construction or Industrial. There are varying degrees of study material available for both.

Darren
Hi Peter

In Ontario as in other provinces you will need to provide your credentials and previous employment details to the Ministry of Training for assessment. You can contacted them prior to arriving in Ontario and they will issue a training log for you to complete (similar to UK JIB apprenticeship log). Once approved you will be allowed to challenge the relevant IP Red Seal exam. During the time between you presenting yourself and the date of the exam you will be issued a temporary license allowing you to work in Ontario as an electrician. I arrived in Ontario in 2002 so the info may have changed, I looked at my temporary license and it states Construction Electrician 309A. Be aware that once the IP is passed Ontario will issue a certificate that will need to be renewed & they charge a fee for this (Alberta certificate good for life).

This is for Alberta, but the IP exam details will be very similar check out Ontario MoT

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/tcu/app...eypersons.html

Once you pass the IP exam you can work in most of Canada in the trade of electrician.
In Alberta there is one equivalence exam for electricians (once assessed by Alberta and qualified to write see following link for requirement). This being the Interprovincial Red Seal in the trade of Electrician.

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/in...pprentice.html

Get a copy of:-
20th edition 2006 Canadian Electrical Code part 1 + Guidance notes (they help with rational & intent of technical rules).
2006 edition Electricians Self-Assessment Tool (CD) also check out exam bank

http://trades.exambank.com/electrical.html

PS Knight has some good reference books for both residential and commercial installations, not really needed for the exam but nice to have around. Check out his website

http://www.psknight.com/

The exam mainly tests your ability to look up code, don't waste time on studying specialized sections there will only be a couple of question on these, for an idea of whats in the exam check out the following link

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/tr...qual_eq_t1.pdf

For the publications try CSA directly, I purchased the 2006 code on CD (smart CD) it comes with the guidence notes and a fully searchable index and the calcs and includes printed versions. Downside it cost big bucks.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

I was on PNP in Alberta, you need to take exam within 6monts so I been told by my employer thats just run out 2 wks ago. Entered Canada on working visa 24th of August 07. I am trying to get in touch with AAIT if there is anything they can do to extend to take my Red Seal Exam, don't know if that's worth it or even possible.
I know of a couple of cases where they extended the time threshold to 12 months, and where they had three attempts at passing IP.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:24 am
Journeyman Canadian

Do some research regarding the latest policies about the eligibility to work temporarily pending your exam. I may be wrong for other provinces (I hope I am!) but Manitoba do not allow you to work in the trade unless you have Journeyman or registered apprentice status. aka chicken and egg

Electrician is one of nine trades that demand this.

Darren
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

I know of a couple of cases where they extended the time threshold to 12 months, and where they had three attempts at passing IP.
He hasn't taken the exam yet at all.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

He hasn't taken the exam yet at all.
No matter, put your case forward for an extension of time I wouldn't however state that the deadline was overlooked.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

No matter, put your case forward for an extension of time I wouldn't however state that the deadline was overlooked.
Is it possible to ask for extension and once that's granted ask to be transferred to BC and take an exam there or is it way too complicated. Its just an idea. I really would loved to be in BC.Or is it easier to apply through BC's PNP.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Is it possible to ask for extension and once that's granted ask to be transferred to BC and take an exam there or is it way too complicated. Its just an idea. I really would loved to be in BC.Or is it easier to apply through BC's PNP.
I don't know the answer but I wouldn't hold too much hope that there is that level of integration between AB & BC. In order to be a readily employable electrician you need to pass the IP, I would advise that you contact AB to get a shot at the exam that would be your fastest route as BC would need to assess you as AB did and this would take time. If BC is still your intention you could apply to BC companies (hopefully with PLMO) with IP in your hand.