British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   UK to Canadian Electricians the Transformation Registration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/uk-canadian-electricians-transformation-registration-489182/)

Journeyman Electrician Oct 24th 2007 2:49 am

UK to Canadian Electricians the Transformation Registration

Just a thought but how about all the UK electricians that are in the throws, considering or already here in Canada start a contact list to support each other and assist in the spread of knowledge required to make it here. maybe theres only half a dozen right now but its a start, right?

Regards
Thomas:thumbsup:

Journeyman Electrician Oct 24th 2007 11:44 pm

Re: UK to Canadian Electricians the Transformation Registration

Come on don't be shy now

moondevil Oct 25th 2007 7:59 am

put us on the list, we have helped others start the process

We have info and test papers if anyone need them for ontario, but we are also looking at alberta.
We are in limbo until the house sells, but once sold we are taking our recci to hopefully secure a job :thumbsup:

Gill and Andy

NSTRUCT Oct 26th 2007 11:41 am

Count me in

Journeyman Electrician Nov 6th 2007 10:11 pm

Well that's three of us at least that's a start.

steved61 Nov 7th 2007 9:55 pm

And me thomas :D

I am heading for wasaga Beach, ontario where is everyone else heading for

steve

chazcanning Jan 18th 2008 9:07 pm

:thumbsup:
Hi guys hope I'm not to late I'll sign up . 25 years experience as a spark over the last 12 years as a general foreman though i must admit because I haven't been on the tools for i long time I've become a right lazy so&so I hope to be in Vancouver any time after April got a job with one of the local contractors there. I'm not very good though when it comes to exams but fingers X. I got a book from PSKnight 2006/2010 Commerical & industrail Electrical codes simplified chaz

Journeyman Electrician Jan 18th 2008 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by chazcanning (Post 5807431)
Hi guys hope I'm not to late I'll sign up . 25 years experience as a spark over the last 12 years as a general foreman though i must admit because I haven't been on the tools for i long time I've become a right lazy so&so I hope to be in Vancouver any time after April got a job with one of the local contractors there. I'm not very good though when it comes to exams but fingers X. I got a book from PSKnight 2006/2010 Commerical & industrail Electrical codes simplified chaz

I'm trying to get all the BE Canada electricians to post on this thread
So your not too late, this thread should be here or at least searchable for users of BE to share knowledge or ask advice. Get yourself a copy of the code and understand how to use the index effectively it will save valuable time during the 4 hour exam.

scimdarren Jan 25th 2008 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician (Post 5460137)
Just a thought but how about all the UK electricians that are in the throws, considering or already here in Canada start a contact list to support each other and assist in the spread of knowledge required to make it here. maybe theres only half a dozen right now but its a start, right?

Regards
Thomas:thumbsup:

Hi

I have been here for 2 1/2 years. I am an Industrial Electrician (factory Maintenance) in Manitoba, it is very tough to establish yourself, but once you get your foot in a door, you have made it. I would be happy to share my experiences on how I managed to get here.

Darren

chazcanning Jan 25th 2008 3:18 am

:unsure:
apart from having this book Commerical & industrail Electrical codes simplified ( though it's just like our 16th edition )is there any others that might help me with ie what type of conduit , wiring etc. ( do they have ring mains ) I'll be out in April for a reseach trip and could pick books up while am there regards chaz

Journeyman Electrician Jan 25th 2008 11:58 am

Originally Posted by chazcanning (Post 5836497)
:unsure:
apart from having this book Commerical & industrail Electrical codes simplified ( though it's just like our 16th edition )is there any others that might help me with ie what type of conduit , wiring etc. ( do they have ring mains ) I'll be out in April for a reseach trip and could pick books up while am there regards chaz

To start with, get the Latest edition of the 2006 Electrical Code and guidance notes (I've got this on CD-Rom About $450 from CSA) you can get Code in paper form for about $130.00 and guidance for about $70. PS Knights stuff is very well written and you will need the relevant domestic book for the province you are intending to reside (side work).
If no one has a problem with this I will attach some excel sheets that will help UK sparks coming over to Canada understand the basic principles here.

Journeyman Electrician Jan 25th 2008 11:59 am

Originally Posted by scimdarren (Post 5836155)
Hi

I have been here for 2 1/2 years. I am an Industrial Electrician (factory Maintenance) in Manitoba, it is very tough to establish yourself, but once you get your foot in a door, you have made it. I would be happy to share my experiences on how I managed to get here.

Darren

Good on you Darren, lets have it warts in all.

Thomas

chazcanning Jan 25th 2008 2:43 pm

That would be great I'll look forward to that. chaz

Journeyman Electrician Jan 26th 2008 12:16 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by chazcanning (Post 5838261)
That would be great I'll look forward to that. chaz

Forget all that you have learn't in the UK regards to colour coding of conductors, check the attachment. Canadians will expect you to identify what colour the hot conductors are by the numbers only, print out the attachment and keep it with you until you've cracked it.

Journeyman Electrician Jan 26th 2008 12:34 am

1 Attachment(s)
Forget that Hilmour bender, over here they use the hockey stick (former at the end of a piece of tube). EMT is the main stay of commercial electrical installations and comes in sizes from 1/2" through to 6". Gutter (trunking) is not used for any containment other than above below distribution equipment for use as splitter (where the wire nuts live). Submains are mainly run in big tube unless a teck cable is installed. As 120v is rubbish for decent lighting applications lighting circuits are ramped up to 277v or 347v. Forget the term switch room these rooms are simply known as electrical rooms, you will find transformers either floor or ceiling mounted step up or down dependent on distribution voltage.. Some things are like back home, they use wire basket for low voltage, data comms and voice etc.

Attached is the guide on how to use this antique tube bender.