Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician Licence WA Lets get this right!!!

Electrician Licence WA Lets get this right!!!

Old Oct 21st 2011, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Mick00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician Licence WA Lets get this right!!!

I am booked in to do the ETL course in two weeks. I'm guessing it will be ok for me to do this and not have to do the gap training? I got a call from energy safety two days ago saying it was ok for me to attend the course. Hope I will be ok to get the A Grade after completing the course.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road

Mick00

What way did you apply?

Have you went OSTR or ARTC way?

Did you get a approval letter from energysafety before booking CET?

sorry for these questions but this will clear alot of things up on this discussion hope!!
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:11 am
Just Joined

Mick00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied for an ARTC 18th May is when they revieved it, it was then granted as an electrical mechanic about 3 1/2 months later. I then brought the letter into energy safety and got their approval letter about 2 weeks later saying I could do the ETL course. I rang CET Balcatta and booked onto the course for the start of November. The girls in there aid she had not recieved the letter from energy safety stating I could attend which they usually do, I then got a call from a guy in energy safety saying he would resend the letter to her and that it was alright for me to attend the course. His pone call was about a week ago.
If you have any other questions just ask, Hope this was helpful?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

I arrived in WA just over a month ago, rang two job adverts and was offered both jobs the next day even with "working under supervision".
Most of the bigger companies won't touch you without your licence but the smaller one-man-bands are fine with it, they see it as cheaper labour definiately, but thats how it is here.
And as for the mines work you see advertised in uk, it is not that easy to get into, "unless you know someone" if you know what I mean....and only if you have your licence.
So,if you are still in Uk waiting to get here i would strongly advise you get the ARTC application in, even if you have vetassess as the only thing that is for certain is that the aussie's like to change the goalposts at the drop of a hat.The more bits of paper you can get, can only help to cover you for the changes to come.
good luck,
Paul
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:27 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

the only thing that is for certain is that the aussie's like to change the goalposts at the drop of a hat.The more bits of paper you can get, can only help to cover you for the changes to come.

You also need licences for just about everything. Sparky licence, cabling licence, security licence, elevated platform licence, etc etc etc.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

DR_SURF is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys
I have done some investigation on this for my husband who is UK qualified. We are hoping to move over next august on my 457.

I contacted energy safety yesterday re the changes and they told me the decision to go to on the job training has been reversed and it is back to the old system with the ELT course after getting the nod from the TRA and energy safety.

However there is also the issue of the national licence. It has been approved everywhere except WA and SA (I think) but in WA has yet to clear parliament.
(see www.http://nola.gov.au/ for more info)
Does anyone know what the national licence system will entail for overseas sparkies? Also I am presuming that as WA has yet to agree it is unlikely to be implemented before we arrive next year??
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DR_SURF
Hi Guys
I have done some investigation on this for my husband who is UK qualified. We are hoping to move over next august on my 457.

I contacted energy safety yesterday re the changes and they told me the decision to go to on the job training has been reversed and it is back to the old system with the ELT course after getting the nod from the TRA and energy safety.

However there is also the issue of the national licence. It has been approved everywhere except WA and SA (I think) but in WA has yet to clear parliament.
(see www.http://nola.gov.au/ for more info)
Does anyone know what the national licence system will entail for overseas sparkies? Also I am presuming that as WA has yet to agree it is unlikely to be implemented before we arrive next year??
Has anyone actually received an ARTC cert within the last month and booked on the WA A License course and asked is there Gap training after and restricted or got a exact answer in writing saying two week course then A License NO gap anymore with OSTR or ARTC applications??

I have been in contact as well as others and everyone seems to get differenet views. I was told from energy safety Artc two week course A License.
Ostr two week course gap training log book then A License.

Hence why I have applied for Artc cert to miss the Gap training malarky.

I am going to start a new thread and detail all what I have done and went through to hopefully clear up conflicting views or should I say misinterpreted comments. on this subject.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 6:41 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elect42
Has anyone actually received an ARTC cert within the last month and booked on the WA A License course and asked is there Gap training after and restricted or got a exact answer in writing saying two week course then A License NO gap anymore with OSTR or ARTC applications??

I have been in contact as well as others and everyone seems to get differenet views. I was told from energy safety Artc two week course A License.
Ostr two week course gap training log book then A License.

Hence why I have applied for Artc cert to miss the Gap training malarky.

I am going to start a new thread and detail all what I have done and went through to hopefully clear up conflicting views or should I say misinterpreted comments. on this subject.
to be honest most of the conflict comes from the licencing bodies themselves, it would seem it all depends on who answers your inquirey as to the advice / answers given,

i had some hassle sorting out my contractors licence i was told by one qld safety officer that i had to wait for 12 months from getting my electrical licence before i could apply for the contractors, but futher advice form chris at qet hasd me talking to another officer who put the application through, the 12 month rule was only made to stop newly quilified lads from getting a contractors before geting some real site experiance and should have been ignored in my case, ie having several years ( and then some ) experiance

steve
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

hasselhoff86 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a qualified Electrician, i am moving to perth in August this year, how do I go about in gaining a ARTC or a OTSR and how long does it take to get them?
Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:19 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

To further muddy the waters have a look at the NOLA website and the FAQ's for existing licence holders, says that if you have a licence for a state now that once the national licence system starts in July that you will automatically become a national licence holder and be able to work nationally to the same level as your previous state based licence. This opens all sorts of cans of worms and contradicts that apparent reluctance of states to recognise other states licencing requirements and systems.
As it stands only WA have yet to formally accept this system all other states have signed up. But.... I bet if you phone Qld, Nsw, Vic etc the person you speak to wont even know what NOLA is!

http://nola.gov.au/transitioning-to-...ent-licensees/

Last edited by rinkerdink; Apr 4th 2012 at 7:22 pm. Reason: Added NOLA link
Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

hogster is an unknown quantity at this point

so many threads with alot of confusing info can anybody who has recently got there application from the artc granted and then done 2 weeks in tafe college to get there A license put up a good How to?
Old May 21st 2012, 12:53 am
Just Joined

Andremin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys
New to this site!!!
Been in WA for 5 years and been through the whole circus of getting an A-Grade licence. Had my qualifications assessed by TRA (Electrical Fitter)
Been to the Rockingham TAFE for ELT Course. Have applied and worked under supervision foe 1 year. Filled in the logbook.
Finally have to go to do the Theory and practical exams in Balga.
Any ideas on what to expect eg questions etc?
Old May 21st 2012, 11:05 am
Just Joined

owenscottunited is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in sydney i have a provisional licence which means nothing to any employer but helps when enrolling at tafe you need 12 months supervised wiring experience plus gap training at tafe which costs $1700 plus books about $400 course is pretty intense but once you get started it seems easier i have being working for a small company for 12 months tafe gives you a workplace evidence book to complete with about 25 things to sign off you also need p.l.c or telecommunications course which costs $775 at milcom and is a five day course as i got a ostsr peertec does not even know how to assist me to get your provisional licence you need to go to fair trading office in sydney which is opposite central station i went there five times with my vetassess report until someone actually knew what it was they are clueless so explain to them what it is you want it costs $129 the course at tafe starts in febuary and ends in june 21 and they reckon failure rate is 55% this info is for NSW i know this sounds like a hassle and it definitely is but it looks like the only way if you have gone the vetassess route