British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Electrician Licence WA Lets get this right!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/electrician-licence-wa-lets-get-right-736246/)

elect42 Oct 19th 2011 9:55 pm

Electrician Licence WA Lets get this right!!!

Application for electrical licence over seas looks like:-

1. We cant do the two week course anymore from OCT is this right???

2. If you go to download the form on energysafety site http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/Energy.../R097_1011.pdf
They are now charging additiona fee of 70$ and saying we need the do gap training???
What a joke most of us guys have been in the trade for years and years why do gap training for something that is not really any differnet??

3. If we do gap training then employers wouldnt pay the rate never mined even employ us??? As no A licence, is there a way round this???

4. Hows a family suppose to live without getting Licence quick with the two week course??

Confused and feel OZ milks every last penny from us immigrants!!!

What is the right way the long way???

I still have the old form and thinking of just sending it in LOL maybe pass that hurdle if its unnoticed and sent through by mistake LOL:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed :

elect42 Oct 19th 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Electrician Licence WA Lets get this right!!!

I also see that the techs are also doing the two week courses still for the licence confused??

Deyan Oct 19th 2011 10:26 pm

Seems the best way is: apply for an ARTC via TRA, once when you get the ARTC apply for two weeks course and take your license.

btw I worked as a trade assistant for over two years for $20 - 22/hour, they didn't give a sh. for my previous experience (I have over 15 years) and overseas qualification. I know thats ain't right but thats the way it is.

elect42 Oct 19th 2011 10:44 pm

ARTC same still have too do year gap heres the form
http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/energy.../R018_1011.pdf

Strange that two week courses are still there I am going to email them to clear this up! A family moving to OZ couldnt live on a reduced income doing the same work as everyone else that discrimation not restriction!

I would think that you can still do the course quicker than gap training depending on person?

I have a company winging it down to emigrate to OZ in March but looks like a spanner has flew in LOL or should I say screwdriver in the works :D

elect42 Oct 20th 2011 7:53 am

Just phoned Energysafety

All new appication and current looking for license has to do:-

One year under supervision

Including gap training with a RTO

End off year then apply for ETL course which we have to do the two week course then!

She did say something brief about at least 4 months gap training before apply for ETL course I responded back in saying O so at least 4 months then apply for two course then she corrected in saying I have to do 12 twelve months, I am not sure they know really either yet themselves, theres bound to be a easier way, Im off to phone a CET see what they say, whats required!

Adamp8700 Oct 20th 2011 8:11 am

Originally Posted by elect42 (Post 9685227)
Just phoned Energysafety

All new appication and current looking for license has to do:-

One year under supervision

Including gap training with a RTO

End off year then apply for ETL course which we have to do the two week course then!

She did say something brief about at least 4 months gap training before apply for ETL course I responded back in saying O so at least 4 months then apply for two course then she corrected in saying I have to do 12 twelve months, I am not sure they know really either yet themselves, theres bound to be a easier way, Im off to phone a CET see what they say, whats required!

Hey mate,

Just a thought, Im sure I have read on here before (no time to search atm) that people have achieved log book completion (going from a provisional license to an 'A' license) within 3 months in other states. Would it not be possible to do that, and then just pay an administration fee to WA to to review your credentials (other states license and level III cert) and issue a WA 'A' license?

Not ideal but im sure australian qualified electricians dont have to go back to college just to move states. All other states seem to have been doing this process a lot longer for migrants so theyre issuing bodies could provide better info than WA as it is new to them.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

elect42 Oct 20th 2011 8:23 am

Thanks for reply I am thinking of trying to do log book before I arrive in OZ then apply like you said as I could apply from an OZZY address.

End of day when there is new regulations here in UK you do a 1 day crash course then the exam why a year with OZ.

I phoned CET the girl was helpful sounded also confused after I told what energysafety said. She first said no thats wrong didnt expect sparkies to do a year supervised than I said energysafety has new application forms on theyre website for electrical licenses. She replied its really up to energysafety in what they want to do, but new to her. She said it could be for certain applicants. Said send in application and see what they say!

So all in all, still in the DARK, looks like Ill apply pretending I live there and hopefully get a letter of approval. If not start filling in that logbook asap, before I arrive and get that two week course, for A license like you said mate!

Deyan Oct 20th 2011 9:36 am

I've read through the both forms and there is some difference between them

OTSR

Once your application is received, you will be issued a permit to work under supervision to enable you to gain on-the-job experience under Australian conditions while undertaking the Gap Training at an approved Registered Training Organisation.
When you have completed successfully the Gap Training and been issued your Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician you will be eligible to be issued an ‘Electrician’s Licence’ on paying the five-yearly Registration Fee.

ARTC

Once your application is received, you will be issued a permit to work under supervision to enable you to gain on-the-job experience under Australian conditions while having your skills assessed by a Registered Training Organisation approved by the Electrical Licensing Board.
When you have completed successfully the skills assessment, you will be eligible to be issued an ‘Electrician’s Licence’ on paying the five-yearly Registration Fee.

So, with an ARTC you don't need to do any gap training. When I applied for the ETL they had offered me license to work under supervision but I didn't take it because I had the course in a short time after.

elect42 Oct 20th 2011 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Deyan (Post 9685362)

OTSR

Once your application is received, you will be issued a permit to work under supervision to enable you to gain on-the-job experience under Australian conditions while undertaking the Gap Training at an approved Registered Training Organisation.
When you have completed successfully the Gap Training and been issued your Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician you will be eligible to be issued an ‘Electrician’s Licence’ on paying the five-yearly Registration Fee.

ARTC

Once your application is received, you will be issued a permit to work under supervision to enable you to gain on-the-job experience under Australian conditions while having your skills assessed by a Registered Training Organisation approved by the Electrical Licensing Board.
When you have completed successfully the skills assessment, you will be eligible to be issued an ‘Electrician’s Licence’ on paying the five-yearly Registration Fee.

So, with an ARTC you don't need to do any gap training. When I applied for the ETL they had offered me license to work under supervision but I didn't take it because I had the course in a short time after.

OK that sounds better I didnt really look in detail at ARTC way. Thank Deyan
So to get ATRC cert I contact TRA? They look at my details and issue cert or do I have to do another course, thats what the girl at the CET was talking about then. I have a OSTR which seems useless only good for Immigration purposes which I now have PR visas.

All in all it does get quite daunting tra artc daic ostr and so on, I know there is threads that can be read up on in here but they can be daunting too.

It would be good if someone would set it up when theyve jumped through all these hoops a setout plan, as its changed now from when a ostr could do the two week course aswell. Now from reading the forms proprerly ARTC is the only way.

Thanks Deyan

derren7 Oct 20th 2011 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Deyan (Post 9685362)

OTSR

ARTC

Hi Deyan,
It does say under the ARTC section that "you will be issued with a permit to work under supervision to enable you to gain on the job experience under Australian conditions". I interpret this as having to do gap training.
It appears that the advent of a national licencing system is requiring all states to harmonise their licencing and assessment procedures. Will SA be next?
Regards Derren

callum1205 Oct 20th 2011 6:02 pm

western oz is a non starter now for a quick license, looks to be same rules now as victoria. it does not matter if you have an otsr through vetassess or an artc from tra, we are still classed as overseas electricians in australia.
does everyone think south australia will follow on now as i am now considering going there, too old to be an apprentice now for a year.

elect42 Oct 20th 2011 7:41 pm

I am going to phone them tomorrow and ask is there gap training with ARTC, is doesnt say it as for OSTR.

I actually dont think they really know either she didnt seem confident on the phone what is right way! As for CET they told me get onto TRA and approval letter from energy safety then two week course as they are still doing it, they have not heard of gap training!!!

callum1205 Oct 21st 2011 8:41 am

phoned energy safety this morning and spoke to lionel.
as we are overseas electricians we have to apply for a permit to work.find an employer, he told me loads of work even under supervision.fill in a log book and have about 23 different types of electrical work signed off by a tradesman.he gave me the impression its a relaxed supervision and can be with different tradesmen or employers and would not be tied down.
after the log book is filled in hand it in to energy safety and then book onto the 2 week course, after this get the license.
i asked him if i was in perth on an artc as an electrical mechanic would the supervision and log book still be the case.he then told me if i served my apprenticeship in the uk i am an overseas electrician and would still have to be supervised etc.
he told me they are crying out for tradesmen and employers are happy to take on log book electricians.he told me the log book and the etl course could be completed in 6 months and the rate of pay should be the same.
find that one hard to believe as you need books signed and supervised.if an employer has a choice of an a grade or logbook spark who will get the job?
i asked if they are crying out for electricians why change the rules.in case anything goes wrong with any of your work carried out was reply.

woodymcfc Oct 21st 2011 8:57 am

Just to confirm, I know its already been mentioned............

I emailed energysafety yesterday and received an email back saying 'please see attached form' thats it, no explanation and not an answer to my question !!!!

I have noticed a difference from the NEW forms that have just been attached to the energysafety site.

if you apply with a ARTC as a Electrical Mechanic it says this ;

if you apply with the OTSR it says this ;

Notice the difference,

skills assessed with an ARTC

Gap training with an OTSR

Gap training 12 months, skills assessed 2-3 months ??????? only speculating, anyone know the answer ??????????

I have now sent another email asking them to expand on the process for a ARTC electrician, i'll keep you all updated

Deyan Oct 21st 2011 9:46 am

When I applied for ETL course it took me a month to get an answer from Energy safety. After I got the approval letter I also got a form for the license for a work under supervision. Normally it takes a time to book the course with one of the RTOs (there is 4 RTOs in Perth, I rang CET they were fully
booked 3 months ahead) so that's the reason for restricted license, to get a work and also to collect some experience before roll youself in TAFE. I was lucky and I booked in a week time at Rockingham TAFE so I never applied for the restricted license.

Sorry for grammar mistakes if any.

PS maybe they have changed the rules but I am pretty sure they have no idea what is going on and that is the reason for confusing answers over the phone. Let's wait for somebody who's going to apply in the next few days (with ARTC)

Kind regards to everybody

Deyan

PPS here is shi.t load of work in Perth so no worries about a job.