Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old May 6th 2014, 11:02 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by 37100
Not sure it would be 'bull' if you fill in the on-line form. Especially if you send an application from the US as the poster is. Might be hard to convince the HMPO that you do not know a suitable passport holder.

Sending you good vibes for your passport application. It must surely arrive soon.
Let us 'pray' lol.... i hope so.... i cannot leave china till they issue my son a passport!

JUST GOTTA WAIT...
Old May 6th 2014, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Why does the UK make it so difficult to renew my old blue passport? It has to be countersigned by someone who fits one of the categories in a list of professions, who holds preferably a UK passport, and be someone we have known for two years but who is not related? This is impossible if you have just moved somewhere new for a job! (Countersignatory also has to list their UK or Irish passport number!)

This is ridiculous!

Last edited by windsong; May 6th 2014 at 1:37 pm.
Old May 6th 2014, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Why does the UK make it so difficult to renew my old blue passport? It has to be countersigned by someone who fits one of the categories in a list of professions, who holds preferably a UK passport, and be someone we have known for two years but who is not related? This is impossible if you have just moved somewhere new for a job! (Countersignatory also has to list their UK or Irish passport number!)

This is ridiculous!
Does it have to be someone that is physically located in your new area? Can you mail the forms/photos to someone and have them mail them back once they have signed them?
Old May 6th 2014, 2:48 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Does it have to be someone that is physically located in your new area? Can you mail the forms/photos to someone and have them mail them back once they have signed them?
Yes, you can. The answer to that is in one of the what to do questions about a signee if you are new to the area. Can't remember exactly, but it tells you to post it, get it signed and posted back to you.
Old May 6th 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can. The answer to that is in one of the what to do questions about a signee if you are new to the area. Can't remember exactly, but it tells you to post it, get it signed and posted back to you.
That's great - there you go Windsong, your move to a new area shouldn't be any kind of impediment to getting your passport renewed
Old May 6th 2014, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

37100, that's the only solution I can think of. I just hope it doesn't hold me up too much. It takes time to do this.

But I still don't know anyone with a UK or Irish passport who can do this.
Old May 6th 2014, 6:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

37100, that's the only solution I can think of. I just hope it doesn't hold me up too much. It takes time to do this.

But I still don't know anyone with a UK or Irish passport who can do this.
A US or Commonwealth passport is also fine. If you've just moved then post it to someone who has known you for more than two years and get them to complete it. They'll also need to be willing to include a copy of their passport and you'll need to include a copy of your US passport (no need to send the original).
Old May 6th 2014, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
A US or Commonwealth passport is also fine. If you've just moved then post it to someone who has known you for more than two years and get them to complete it. They'll also need to be willing to include a copy of their passport and you'll need to include a copy of your US passport (no need to send the original).
Why ever does the UK need a copy of their passport?

If someone asked me to do this and told me they needed to send a copy of my passport with their application, I would be hesitant to do it.
Old May 6th 2014, 10:32 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Why ever does the UK need a copy of their passport?

If someone asked me to do this and told me they needed to send a copy of my passport with their application, I would be hesitant to do it.
To prove who they say they are presumably. It's something you'll need to work out.
Old May 6th 2014, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Last night I completed the application but had to log off because my debit card was not ready for international transactions. Tonight, I will log back in and finish it. I assume there is a page I print out for the person who countersigns it. Is that correct?

Can I go ahead and pay and submit my application even though I still have to get the countersignature?
Old May 6th 2014, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

tuckersworld is an unknown quantity at this point

Last night I completed the application but had to log off because my debit card was not ready for international transactions. Tonight, I will log back in and finish it. I assume there is a page I print out for the person who countersigns it. Is that correct?

Can I go ahead and pay and submit my application even though I still have to get the countersignature?
Have you already been prompted that you need a countersignature? and yes...you will have to print off and send off confirmation page after paying.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tuckersworld
Have you already been prompted that you need a countersignature? and yes...you will have to print off and send off confirmation page after paying.
No, not yet, but then I had to break off last night because my bank rejected the payment. I talked to them today and they have now authorized my card for international use.

I assumed the countersignature page will show up after I make the payment online. I was only able to get so far in the process yesterday.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:48 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

No, not yet, but then I had to break off last night because my bank rejected the payment. I talked to them today and they have now authorized my card for international use.

I assumed the countersignature page will show up after I make the payment online. I was only able to get so far in the process yesterday.
Yes, you print the Declaration page off after you've paid.
Old May 7th 2014, 12:13 pm
Codename:ID10t

DJElectricDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually this is a HUGE failure of the user interaction design of this online app. THERE IS NO FACILITY FOR COUNTERSIGNATORY!! The agent I spoke to at the UKPA said its been a massive PITA for them. I just went through (am still going through it) this and it seems the typical use case for an online renewal application is to print the declaration and send it in and wait for Durham to contact you. There is no mention of contersignatory in the online app, and nowhere to submit any data.

The agent I spoke to on the phone recommended I start a new application, this time ‘pretending’ I am applying from Congo (in the list of locations). This gives me the option to download the OS form and get the countersignatory section 10 filled out. I had to pay another $60 to send in the second package. And now i hope they get it and know what to do with it. Expecting the useless civil servants to not make the connection between my original application and the new one, despite my application number being spelled out in several places.

Its a total failure on their part to miss something as obvious as this. I wrote them a lengthy complaint explaining it too. The app does clearly say BETA at the top but I hate software that does its testing live in the wild. Set up a sandbox and invite a thousand participants to test the app. Dont test your software on people who are actually depending on the service to get their lives straightend out.

Good luck windsong, I would forgo the online application and print out and send in the old fashioned way. Maybe you would include a check and not credit card? Didnt pay attention to that as I had already paid 3 months ago

Last edited by DJElectricDaddy; May 7th 2014 at 12:16 pm.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:00 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by DJElectricDaddy
Actually this is a HUGE failure of the user interaction design of this online app. THERE IS NO FACILITY FOR COUNTERSIGNATORY!! The agent I spoke to at the UKPA said its been a massive PITA for them. I just went through (am still going through it) this and it seems the typical use case for an online renewal application is to print the declaration and send it in and wait for Durham to contact you. There is no mention of contersignatory in the online app, and nowhere to submit any data.

The agent I spoke to on the phone recommended I start a new application, this time ‘pretending’ I am applying from Congo (in the list of locations). This gives me the option to download the OS form and get the countersignatory section 10 filled out. I had to pay another $60 to send in the second package. And now i hope they get it and know what to do with it. Expecting the useless civil servants to not make the connection between my original application and the new one, despite my application number being spelled out in several places.

Its a total failure on their part to miss something as obvious as this. I wrote them a lengthy complaint explaining it too. The app does clearly say BETA at the top but I hate software that does its testing live in the wild. Set up a sandbox and invite a thousand participants to test the app. Dont test your software on people who are actually depending on the service to get their lives straightend out.

Good luck windsong, I would forgo the online application and print out and send in the old fashioned way. Maybe you would include a check and not credit card? Didnt pay attention to that as I had already paid 3 months ago
As I said, once Windsong pays she is able to print of The Declaration page. This page contains a section for the counterignatory's signature and details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.