British Citizenship by Discretion (CBR post 1982)

Old Mar 20th 2024, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Craig_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Citizenship by Discretion (CBR post 1982)

Originally Posted by Glassybell
I'm very confused. Example 20 is "Woman married to a man with a British mother" - this doesn't sound like you. If anything your case sounds like example 21. I don't understand what unfairness or special circumstances you think you'd be eligible to apply because of. You can read the 1981 BNA as-enacted to see what it said when you were born.
Thank you for responding, you are correct it was example 21 I had in mind. Which makes me feel I’ll have no case and will be a waste of money. I will give the 1981 BNA another read.
Old Mar 20th 2024, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Theo808 is an unknown quantity at this point

Xomytoo:

Hi! Your aplication was granted under a claim over naturalization or S9? That may be important to know to think about the best path to be taken over your kids perspectives
Old Mar 20th 2024, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Glassybell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Craig_P
Thank you for responding, you are correct it was example 21 I had in mind. Which makes me feel I’ll have no case and will be a waste of money. I will give the 1981 BNA another read.
Yes, read it over, and then maybe do an assessment with a different law firm. Sometimes they give differing opinions.
Old Mar 20th 2024, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

xoomyto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Theo808
Xomytoo:

Hi! Your aplication was granted under a claim over naturalization or S9? That may be important to know to think about the best path to be taken over your kids perspectives
hi Theo,

My certificate shows section 4L. Reason I apply and made it clear to HO that section that applies to me was (An Act or omission of a public authority)
Old Apr 16th 2024, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Must8722 is an unknown quantity at this point

@BritInParis
Hi,

I hope someone could help me out here.

applicant: born in UAE, citizen of Somalia born in jan 1987
father: born in Aden( former British colony) in 1951 -had a Somali passport when I was born AND has british overseas citizen passport got it in 2012 -( because he didn’t lose his CUKC status upon Yemen independence).

mother : born in Aden( former British colony) in 1954 -had a Somali passport when I was born AND has british overseas citizen passport got it in 2012 -( because he didn’t lose his CUKC status upon Yemen independence.

married in 1979

parental grandmother: was born in 1922 in Aden( former British colony)

I heard those born before 1988 and have parental grandmother due to unfairness women could not register their children same as men, the question is am I eligible to apply? If yes should I use ARD form?
Old Apr 17th 2024, 9:03 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Must8722
@BritInParis
Hi,

I hope someone could help me out here.

applicant: born in UAE, citizen of Somalia born in jan 1987
father: born in Aden( former British colony) in 1951 -had a Somali passport when I was born AND has british overseas citizen passport got it in 2012 -( because he didn’t lose his CUKC status upon Yemen independence).

mother : born in Aden( former British colony) in 1954 -had a Somali passport when I was born AND has british overseas citizen passport got it in 2012 -( because he didn’t lose his CUKC status upon Yemen independence.

married in 1979

parental grandmother: was born in 1922 in Aden( former British colony)

I heard those born before 1988 and have parental grandmother due to unfairness women could not register their children same as men, the question is am I eligible to apply? If yes should I use ARD form?
Are you trying to become a BOC or a British citizen?
Old Apr 17th 2024, 9:31 am
Just Joined

ClaireN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I am so glad I found this thread. I am currently in the UK on an ancestral visa and my 2 kids as dependents aged 11&12.

I recently received a mail from sable too stating that I have a likely claim of “British Citizenship by discretion (CBR post 1982 - mother legitimate CCh2) - not sure what any of it really means.

As it has been pointed out, the fees for them to handle the application are a little excessive, considering they claim the only amount that would be payable to HMPO is £80 for my application and £1214 per child.

If anyone could tell me which forms I would need to complete, maybe give me the wording argument exact parts to be to be used etc I would really appreciate it cause as a single mom I simply can’t afford their fees and I feel like I am no closer to saving enough for ILR either [img]images/smilies/sad.gif[/img] and we already a year and a half in.

The details are as follows
Grandfather: Born in UK 12 November 1931
Grandmother: Born in Umtali (Zim) 31 May 1937
Married: 4 September 1956

Mother: born in Mutare (Zim) on 2 April 1957 (my mother held a British child passport that states she is a British subject: citizen of the United Kingdom and colonies. She is currently applying for her adult passport again as he last BP was stolen when she was around 19. Sable handled this application and applied for her passport by decent.

father: born in SA on 26 Dec 1960
married: 16 June 1984

I was born in SA on 26 Jan 1986
son born in SA 3 April 2011
daughter born in SA 4 Sep 2012

I see there are so many informed people here that have helped many others and although I have read all the threads I would just like clarity on my specific case cause this is all so very nerve recking.

Much appreciated
Old Apr 17th 2024, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Are you trying to become a BOC or a British citizen?

Hi,

Am trying to be a British citizen.
Old Apr 17th 2024, 12:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Must8722
Hi,

Am trying to be a British citizen.
Do you hold a BOC passport?
Old Apr 17th 2024, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

No, I do not have BOC, while back we were told that only up to 1983 could be British citizens , my sister applied for a passport 2 years ago and she was able to register as British citizen and got the passport because she was born in 1982 in UAE as well. despite my father and mother having BOC, am not sure how my sister was able to become British citizen.

so now am in the UK, and I hold Somali passport only, so I heard the laws has changed so I was hoping to get citizenship through my grandmother
Old Apr 24th 2024, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Henndigo is an unknown quantity at this point

Success for us.

Ours was a British citizenship by discretion application for my son's Hague Convention adoption completed outside of the UK. Even though I am a British citizen by birth, he did not qualify for citizenship by descent, like his sister, so we had to go down this path.
We submitted the application in late August 2023, did his biometrics in early November, received an email from the workflow dept in February saying upon assessment it would take a while. Then a month later, we received another email from a case worker this time asking us to pay for the citizenship ceremony, as my son turned 18 during the process. They took the payment 2 weeks later. Then 3 weeks after that, they returned the documents, including the decision letter. So, it was around 7.5 months from submission and 6.5 months from biometrics.

We are now awaiting the invitation to the citizenship ceremony, which will be here in Australia.

I am glad I kept all of my son's adoption paperwork!

Good luck to everyone else.