American wanting to move to UK

Old May 23rd 2008, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American wanting to move to UK

Originally Posted by rookins26
Fair enough Panda...wish you and your family the best in California. We all have to find that place where we "fit" wherever that may be. I know Arizona is not that place for me at all (though I know it will always be my home state..it just isn't what I desire as an adult). I feel perhaps that the US is not even the place for me right now (not that I hate it) and my husband and I want to explore a totally different place that from the sounds of it and from what my husband has experienced there...may be a better fit for us. My parents and now in-laws are the only relatives I have here in this state and they are considering moving as it is...so I realize that my ties here are not as strong as others may be.

Thank you all for the insight into the UK. I am more than willing to take a chance and move there eventually if the opportunity is right. I don't expect it to be like America and really I don't want it to be. I can't wait
Sounds like you're going into it with the right perspective. Not running away, but looking forward to an adventure. Good for you!
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
I could go on and on about the positives over here. Just as I could about the positives in the States. To sum it all up.........it's just different. The attitude to approach living over here is not about the bad things or the things you miss...........but to concentrate on the things you like and enjoy. To try new and different things. To talk to and make friends with new people.
Scout - what a wonderful post. Thanks for being the voice of reason. Karma sent.
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Like you said things said are often taken out of context on an anonymous message board...and this was becoming an American vs Brits thread. So come on folks group hugs all round.
Tried to send you karma and couldn't so ...
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

I know, one expensive city to another! Pity really as one of the ways my husband sold the move to me was on the basis of finance. In fact we have a big drop in income as I have given up my career (at least for a while) and was previously the higher earner. Unfortunately good though my job was it didn't involve any American links (NHS) so no chance of a transfer

Otherwise just wanted to say that Panda is right Yorkshire, although beautiful, can be very bleak. I should point out that there is no such area as Southern England and Wales... indeed Wales is known as being very very rainy. It's one of the differences between the UK and the States you get microclimates so that the landscape and weather can change if you drive an hour or two in the UK whereas in the States it's more like a day or two!

Oh and to ask him if he did get his other thread deleted? I have some insights into what he is thinking about re. his stepchildren.
Old May 23rd 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Pandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nooka
Otherwise just wanted to say that Panda is right Yorkshire, although beautiful, can be very bleak. I should point out that there is no such area as Southern England and Wales... indeed Wales is known as being very very rainy. It's one of the differences between the UK and the States you get microclimates so that the landscape and weather can change if you drive an hour or two in the UK whereas in the States it's more like a day or two!

Oh and to ask him if he did get his other thread deleted? I have some insights into what he is thinking about re. his stepchildren.
I'm not sure if it's gotten deleted or not yet, but you can always send me a private message with your insights and advice. I'd really appreciate any wisdom you may have about the subject. It's proving to be a real sticking point (obviously) for us and we're having a tough time coming up with the best solution.

And to Rookins, that's a great attitude to have and I wish you well. If you're looking for something completely different from the Arizona desert, then green, lush, personable Britain is your best bet. It'll definitely be an adventure and I envy your embrace of it.
Old May 24th 2008, 2:38 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Looking back I was given two pieces of good advice. The first...it would be easier to adjust if English wasn't the first language. Because it is we tend to assume the culture and way of life is the same...it isn't...so it comes as quite a shock when one realises this. The second...life in the US and UK is different...not better or worse...just different.
Was it Shaw that said that Britain and America are two countries divided by the same language? It is tricky, because it's all in the nuances and it can take a while to simply communicate comfortably. What one sees as a compliment, the other sees as smarmy. What one sees as a joking argument, the other takes as to the death. etc etc.

When we came to Canada I was surprised at how odd everything seemed, and how long that feeling lasted, (it probably grew) because I did think it'd be more or less the same. And I think Canada and the UK are more similar than the US and the UK.

It seems some of the biggest problems are when two people from different nationalities marry.

Bev
Old May 24th 2008, 3:12 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm

It seems some of the biggest problems are when two people from different nationalities marry.

Bev
Nonsense, you must take Pheromones into account.
Old May 24th 2008, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooka
I've just moved to the States (NYC) and things seem more expensive here, with the exception of petrol. Also you can't just take the exchange rate and convert it, because the cost of living is related to income not the exchange rate. Having said that my husband has come across with his English salary fixed at a good rate (although the deductions for health insurance for the family are scary) and we are still finding things expensive. For example we are paying $2500 rent in the far suburbs of Queens for a two bedroom flat, whilst my four bedroom house in London (also suburbia) is renting for £1200. Food is also a lot more expensive (and I have a serious Waitrose habit) - I'm paying $3-4 for a decent loaf of bread. Almost $4 for a small stick that would cost maybe 80p in England. Eating out on the othe hand is cheaper. Now I know that prices will vary across both countries, but I really can't see that the States is 2-3 cheaper unless you are paying with pounds.

Not that we are regretting it mind you, just that we had thought it would be cheaper, and have found that it certainly isn't.
This was my experience too. A huge part of the sale from my OH was also financial and I found as you have that all told the COL was very comparable. I moved from west of London to south of Norfolk VA and the tiny price differential when you take into consideration the lifestyles and salary levels available in the two places was just unbelievable and totally unjustifiable in my mind.

My supermarket bill went from 50-60 quid a week to more like 150 dollars. Rent on the 2 bed apt (nice one mind, with pool on complex) was $1200 when the rent on my 2 bed house & garden was back at 800pcm. My potential earnings as an experienced admin temp went from 10-12 pounds an hour to 12-14 dollars an hour and my numerical expenditure shot through the roof.

A 3 hour relaxed 2 course meal, carafe of wine and coffee in the Italian run by Italians on my old highstreet would set as back 50 quid. The same meal was 75-80 dollars for an hour and 15 minutes in the bloomin Olive garden. Despite the price of gas the money out of our pockets on petrol rose considerably. And with regard to salary deductables and costs by the time you had factored in fed tax, state tax, sales tax, personal property tax, utilities charges, SS and additional health insurance, surcharges and taxes on cable, phone etc etc what we were having removed from earnings was nigh on the same.

Back then the xrate was 1.7ish so even despite purchasing power and going on the direct conversion alone the whole mental cost justification for being there got blown out the water.

Last edited by Tootsie Frickensprinkles; May 24th 2008 at 3:38 pm.