Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is a Journeyman Carpenter?

What is a Journeyman Carpenter?

Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default What is a Journeyman Carpenter?

I have been searching some of the Canadian job pages for my husband. He is a Carpenter, but can anyone explain what a Journeyman Carpenter is? Is it a Foreman, or a carpenter that works away, or something different?

Thanks in advance

Mel
Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of
Default Re: What is a Journeyman Carpenter?

Originally Posted by mels123
I have been searching some of the Canadian job pages for my husband. He is a Carpenter, but can anyone explain what a Journeyman Carpenter is? Is it a Foreman, or a carpenter that works away, or something different?

Thanks in advance

Mel
i would like to know as well as it also appears before some engineers as well , when we have been searching jobs
Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:23 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Journeyman = time served tradesperson, having completed all apprenticeship training, with relevant Canadian certification, able to demonstrate all round experience as well as holding qualifications.

Rich.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:24 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dentaltech
i would like to know as well as it also appears before some engineers as well , when we have been searching jobs
This is not a criticism so please don't take it that way.

I find it difficult to believe that someone from the U.K. would not know what a journeyman is.

A journeyman is someone who has served his apprenticeship and is a fully qualified tradesman. For example an electrician, plumber, auto-mechanic, carpenter, etc.

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:38 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Then I have been a 'Journeyman' Electrician for 14 years in the UK without realising it! I wonder if it is a colloquial term that is only used in certain regions around the UK?

To add to the original question, you have to pass an exam to be recognised in Canada as a Journeyman (once the apprentice branch have reviewed your foreign credentials and allow you to sit it).

Darren

Originally Posted by Hangman

I find it difficult to believe that someone from the U.K. would not know what a journeyman is.

A journeyman is someone who has served his apprenticeship and is a fully qualified tradesman. For example an electrician, plumber, auto-mechanic, carpenter, etc.

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Steve

You can have a giggle at me then Steve. I thought a Journeyman was a travelling craftsman
Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:45 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Though I'm not a journeyman anything other than perhaps a journeyman of questionable DIY skills, its not a term I had heard prior to coming to Canada. I think the use of the term here is more to do with having a recognised interprovincial trade qualification. The papers here are full of ads for journeyman tradesmen needed out West.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Though I'm not a journeyman anything other than perhaps a journeyman of questionable DIY skills, its not a term I had heard prior to coming to Canada. I think the use of the term here is more to do with having a recognised interprovincial trade qualification. The papers here are full of ads for journeyman tradesmen needed out West.
Funny how times change I guess. I learned what a journeyman is/was before I left England in 1963.

Reference from Tiscali UK website.

So what are they called now?

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Hangman; Mar 26th 2006 at 8:55 pm. Reason: To add reference
Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Funny how times change I guess. I learned what a journeyman is/was before I left England in 1963.

Reference from Tiscali UK website.

Cheers
Steve
TIME SERVED.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
TIME SERVED.
Sounds more like a prison term.

I think I prefer journeyman.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds more like a prison term.

I think I prefer journeyman.
Thanks everyone. We had never heard of the term Journeyman before. Like someone else said we know it as 'Timeserved Joiner'.

I thought I had better find out before he applied for jobs in Canada. He has worked in the construction industry for over 10 years and never heard that term used before in the UK.

Will his carpentry certificates not be recognised in Canada? If he has to sit tests, can they be done here in England?

Thanks again

Mel
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:43 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Steve

"Old gits on the dole".........
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Cheers
Steve
I didn't know either.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:58 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. We had never heard of the term Journeyman before. Like someone else said we know it as 'Timeserved Joiner'.

I thought I had better find out before he applied for jobs in Canada. He has worked in the construction industry for over 10 years and never heard that term used before in the UK.

Will his carpentry certificates not be recognised in Canada? If he has to sit tests, can they be done here in England?

Thanks again

Mel
It will depend on the province, the job and the type of "certificates" he has.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 12:06 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Mel
Hi, you might find some useful info on this sitetradesecrets.gov.ab.ca

i hope this link works as its the first time i've added a link, apologises if it doesn't !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.