Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

passport renewal in Canada, documents required

passport renewal in Canada, documents required

Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

gembers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: passport renewal in Canada, documents required

I renewed my passport in February and found the process vague. I sent my old passport, 2 photos (doesn't matter who signs them - nobody's going to check them) and the credit card authorization form. the passport took 4 weeks to come back and i'm yet to be billed a month later. I found the whole process brilliantly British - poorly thought out (the USA isn't even in the commonwealth!), poorly executed and as clear as mud. i bet it cost a fortune to implement to. for further reading on this British methodology - Wembley Stadium, the Millenium Dome, Assylum Seeker detention centres, the 2012 Olympics....the list goes on. Good luck!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penny farthing
I sent my docs for renewal of British Passport to Washington DC about 3 weeks ago still waiting, but for years this was done in Ottawa and I dont know why they changed it ...to another country!!???
Probably homeland security.
No! To reduce the number of small offices everywhere producing passports.

Other countries have done the same thing. For example, Australia now has only two overseas passport offices - Washington DC and London.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 2:47 am
Just Joined

mikeyj is an unknown quantity at this point

I renewed my passports last month and the process was very easy. Basically fill in the forms and send them to Washington together with the expired passports and you should get the new passports within two weeks. Provided you have the old passport to send back there is no need to send any other documents.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

mrmarkfr is an unknown quantity at this point

I am about to send in my paperwork(existing unexpired passport, photos, fee form, etc, but no birth certificate), but I need to get clarification on question 1B. It asks " Were you naturalized or registered as a British subject, citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies, British Citizen, British Dependant / Overseas Territories citizen, British Overseas citizen, or British protected person?"

I have an existing British passport, I was born in the UK in 1970, and I just need clarification on this question before sending it in. I know I was registered( at birth), and I have it listed right now as "NO" on the form because I don't have any documents stating that I am, but I don't want to send it down and have it refused.

What have other people done?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrmarkfr
I am about to send in my paperwork(existing unexpired passport, photos, fee form, etc, but no birth certificate), but I need to get clarification on question 1B. It asks " Were you naturalized or registered as a British subject, citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies, British Citizen, British Dependant / Overseas Territories citizen, British Overseas citizen, or British protected person?"

I have an existing British passport, I was born in the UK in 1970, and I just need clarification on this question before sending it in. I know I was registered( at birth), and I have it listed right now as "NO" on the form because I don't have any documents stating that I am, but I don't want to send it down and have it refused.

What have other people done?
If you acquired your British nationality automatically when you were born then you were not "naturalised or registered."

Registration of birth is not the same as acquiring citizenship by registration.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
hi, i am renewing one of my kids passports..and sending it to washington dc..as far as i have read all i have to send is 2 pictures one countersigned and the old passport...as far as im aware and have read i dont need to send anything else..anyone could just clarify that i would appreciate it
We have just renewed our passports via Washington DC. Husbands ran out July 08 mine was due to run out this April. Only sent off passports and pictures (one countersigned) - no birth certificates sent off - and just received them back with a turn around of 30 days. so i would say no birth certificate needed.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by primadonna
I'm also trying to renew a child's UK passport. Can anybody tell me how to enclose the fee? The C2 form says that a non refundable fee is payable in local currency at the time of application and that I am to check the website of the consulate, but the 'ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/passports' doesn't help.

How much do I pay [76GBP converted into CAD] by cheque? By visa? What about the courier fee?
I have just renewed my girls passports, they were both born before 2002, so I didn't need to send their birth certs. I sent off the forms, 2 passport photos and the credit card form. The new passports were returned last Friday, 5 weeks later and the total fee was $330 for the 2, including shipping costs.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

The Lees is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bombards
I have just renewed my girls passports, they were both born before 2002, so I didn't need to send their birth certs. I sent off the forms, 2 passport photos and the credit card form. The new passports were returned last Friday, 5 weeks later and the total fee was $330 for the 2, including shipping costs.
Hi - can I ask if you needed one photo countersigned? My daughter is 12 and recognisable from her previous passport and I'm not sure if a countersignature is required?

Thanks