Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

passport renewal in Canada, documents required

passport renewal in Canada, documents required

Old Feb 24th 2009, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

gkcullen is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation passport renewal in Canada, documents required

I am confused about the requirements for renewing a British Passport. The info on the website form I have says Full UK birthcertificate and copy of your current ID, and if renewing your passport, the old one should be sent in. In the case of a recent expirery, you may only need to send the old passport, with no other documents. My passport expired Feb 2006, and I need to renew it, I only have the passport and a birth registration/certificate that states my name, date of birth and is signed at the registrar's district (form 300T) This is not the Full UK birth cert as it doesn't indicate both my parents names, but do I even need this to renew? when they say recent expirery, is Feb 2006 recent enough?
No one seems to know, I really hope someone can help me!!
Thank you
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

austinallegro will become famous soon enough
Default Re: passport renewal in Canada, documents required

Originally Posted by gkcullen
I am confused about the requirements for renewing a British Passport. The info on the website form I have says Full UK birthcertificate and copy of your current ID, and if renewing your passport, the old one should be sent in. In the case of a recent expirery, you may only need to send the old passport, with no other documents. My passport expired Feb 2006, and I need to renew it, I only have the passport and a birth registration/certificate that states my name, date of birth and is signed at the registrar's district (form 300T) This is not the Full UK birth cert as it doesn't indicate both my parents names, but do I even need this to renew? when they say recent expirery, is Feb 2006 recent enough?
No one seems to know, I really hope someone can help me!!
Thank you
My previous passport expired in September 2008. It was issued by the British Embassy in Ottawa in September 1998. I sent in the expired passport, two current and stamped photo's taken at a booth in Costco, and my full UK birth certificate. I got the new passport back, plus the birth cert. within four weeks.

Where was your expired passport issued? If Ottawa then I suspect you should be ok with the expired passport, two photo's and the birth registration/certificate. The only possible snag is they will write back to you asking for your full birth certificate.....which doesn't take that long to order from the U.K. anyway. Depending on when you need your passport it may be better to bite the bullet and order the full birth cert. which can easily be done online.

Regards
John
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

gkcullen is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it was originally from Ottawa, so I hope just the passport and photos is ok, in case I will order the full certificate, you don't by chance have the link from which to order online do you?
thanks you so much for your help!
Gerry
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

hi, i am renewing one of my kids passports..and sending it to washington dc..as far as i have read all i have to send is 2 pictures one countersigned and the old passport...as far as im aware and have read i dont need to send anything else..anyone could just clarify that i would appreciate it
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:53 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
hi, i am renewing one of my kids passports..and sending it to washington dc..as far as i have read all i have to send is 2 pictures one countersigned and the old passport...as far as im aware and have read i dont need to send anything else..anyone could just clarify that i would appreciate it
Just sent my kids apps off, i included old passport, 2 pics (1 countersigned) plus their full birth cert, and mine. I'd read in the 'documents needed' notes, that this was what was required.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

austinallegro will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gkcullen
Yes it was originally from Ottawa, so I hope just the passport and photos is ok, in case I will order the full certificate, you don't by chance have the link from which to order online do you?
thanks you so much for your help!
Gerry
Hello, this should do the trick. Doesn't take long to arrive.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Obtain...ports_overseas
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

From JAJ's wiki link
The need for a countersignature has distressed many British expatriates newly arrived in their countries of residence.

* The application form requests that a countersignature be obtained from a person in that country who has known you for 2 years or more.
* The problem is that most of those who have spent less than 2 years in that country will not be able to find any qualified person.
o The U.K. Passport Service states that countersignatures are not required for straightforward renewal and there is good evidence that despite what the forms say, this is also the case in British missions overseas.

That's interesting as the bold part applied to me. I emailed Ottawa where renewals were done at my renewal time and the reply suggested I would need a counter signature but that older people wouldn't need it.

I went ahead and sent it off without one and I got my passport very quickly.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

primadonna is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also trying to renew a child's UK passport. Can anybody tell me how to enclose the fee? The C2 form says that a non refundable fee is payable in local currency at the time of application and that I am to check the website of the consulate, but the 'ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/passports' doesn't help.

How much do I pay [76GBP converted into CAD] by cheque? By visa? What about the courier fee?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall there was a slip to print off where I had to complete c/card details. That was sent with the application fee & courier included.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
clairemarie - did you get your new passport back for your child? Was it sufficient to send just the old passport and the photos?

or does anyone else know why we would need to send in all full birth certificates again (ie, child's, mine, husband's) as per the instructions - seems a bit excessive if she has already held (two of) her own passports already.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

GetCarter is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems lots of us have read what docs are needed for renewing a child's passport and we all come up with different ones. When I read it I thought you had to send
2 photos
photocopy of current ID
current passport
child's full birth certificate
mother's full birth certificate

I thought you only send dad's full birth cert if you are not sending mother's and then you have to send copy of marriage certificate.

So is this right? Or do we have to send mother's and father's birth certificates?

Also, what is "current ID for a child"? PR card?

And the postage back for paying by credit card looks to be $11. Is this $11 per three applications as for the $15 postage, does anyone know?

I soooooo wish that my childrens' passpoarts didn't expire this June!

Hopefully this will become clearer by the time I send them off

Mrs GetCarter
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
From JAJ's wiki link
I went ahead and sent it off without one and I got my passport very quickly.
Ditto - apart from the quick bit - took just under 4 weeks.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

I sent my docs for renewal of British Passport to Washington DC about 3 weeks ago still waiting, but for years this was done in Ottawa and I dont know why they changed it ...to another country!!???
Probably homeland security.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

HI, i sent my son's passport of for renewal..all i sent was his old passport, the form that will need countersigning along with 2 pass port pictures..one of the need to be countersigned too..the fee $129..and its coming back to me by UPS as i need to send to the UK for our visa'...i sent it to washington DC as that is where uk passports need to go...hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.