Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Feb 5th 2015, 10:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by Oink
Present company excepted, I don't find them terribly offensive just utterly dull.
I find some people offensive, can't be helped. I like a lot of people, and I know even more but I don't know any perfect people.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 11:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I think, largely, yes. My mum (a very slight 5'1") pushed my dad around in his chair for the last few months of his life, and he walked (very slowly) with a frame for a while before that. She is full of lovely stories of people going significantly out of their way to help her, from pushing him up the steep hill outside the Royal Hampshire County hospital in Winchester, to stopping traffic to help them across a road, to small gestures like holding open a door or stepping aside from a dropped kerb at a zebra crossing.
My mum tripped and fell, smashed glasses and nose, black eye. People stepped over her when she was lying face down on the pavement. She's still full of lovely stories about helpful people.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by xxdb
Did I do that? Or do you not know how to read either?
Fact is there are signficant percentages of people in Canada who are rude, bullying, offensive, unfunny etc etc when compared to the average in the UK. That you don't want to accept that changes nothing.

And your comment of it must be me that is at fault just shows you live in a ****ing bubble.
xxdb - good for you for calling it as you see it. Sadly, quite unlike some of the posters on this thread who clearly live in a pink and fluffy la-la land where all Canadians are faultless paragons of virtue and anyone stating otherwise is a sociopathic misfit.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 11:07 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
Did I do that? Or do you not know how to read either?
Fact is there are signficant percentages of people in Canada who are rude, bullying, offensive, unfunny etc etc when compared to the average in the UK. That you don't want to accept that changes nothing.

<snip>
Hahaha yep it must definitely be the Canadians at fault or maybe you're just proving the point that rude boring people can come from anywhere...
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Hahaha yep it must definitely be the Canadians at fault or maybe you're just proving the point that rude boring people can come from anywhere...

I have met both Canadian and English here who equally needed a slap up side of the head, Doesn't matter where your from, Canada has it's fair share but so does the UK and some moved here.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:02 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064

I have met both Canadian and English here who equally needed a slap up side of the head, Doesn't matter where your from, Canada has it's fair share but so does the UK and some moved here.

Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064

I never met a Canadian I’d want physically assault. One just feels a bit sorry for them. But those British lower middle class, middle-aged aspirational wankers, the ones who used to wear leather trimmed sweaters and who were probably members of the local golf club or played squash and who used to pontificate loudly down the pub about the superiority of real ale and have shrew-like wives named Carol or Linda. Like that type of bloke who was Inspector Frost’s boss, they really needed a sharp kick in the goolies.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:43 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I never met a Canadian I’d want physically assault. One just feels a bit sorry for them. But those British lower middle class, middle-aged aspirational wankers, the ones who used to wear leather trimmed sweaters and who were probably members of the local golf club or played squash and who used to pontificate loudly down the pub about the superiority of real ale and have shrew-like wives named Carol or Linda. Like that type of bloke who was Inspector Frost’s boss, they really needed a sharp kick in the goolies.
You leave me out of this!
Old Feb 6th 2015, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Hey I resent that. I like real ale (lager is for middle aged aspirational wankers) but don't wear leather trimmed sweater and have a shrew of a wife (or a wife called Carol or Linda). Where would you like to pidgeon hole me.

Plus, I don't fly the flag for british beers at pubs here..far too long on a ship and the craft brews in my part of the world tick the boxes.

With your withering, and sometimes spot on, musings here you must be a joy amongst the unwashed mouth breathing cradles you sometimes have to interact with..or is it just an act and you're really a Don Cherry flag waving zealot
Old Feb 6th 2015, 4:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Hey I resent that. I like real ale (lager is for middle aged aspirational wankers) but don't wear leather trimmed sweater and have a shrew of a wife (or a wife called Carol or Linda). Where would you like to pidgeon hole me.

Plus, I don't fly the flag for british beers at pubs here..far too long on a ship and the craft brews in my part of the world tick the boxes.

With your withering, and sometimes spot on, musings here you must be a joy amongst the unwashed mouth breathing cradles you sometimes have to interact with..or is it just an act and you're really a Don Cherry flag waving zealot
My problem is, I'm too naffing pleasant and affable for my own good. I should try being a bit more acerbic and **** to them, then they'd piss off and leave me alone bit more.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 6th 2015 at 7:13 pm. Reason: You know that's not an appropriate word......
Old Feb 6th 2015, 7:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a mouth breather because my nose has been broken over and over and over since 1967. That's from speaking my mind (and poor judgement and slow reflexes and a taste for drink).
Old Feb 7th 2015, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
You leave me out of this!
Old Feb 8th 2015, 12:35 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Present company excepted, I don't find them terribly offensive just utterly dull.
I hear you.

I don't think a Canadian has ever tried to offend me. The backbone just isn't there.

Walk into a pub in suburban Manchester or Newcastle on the other hand.....
Old Feb 10th 2015, 5:40 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I'm a mouth breather because my nose has been broken over and over and over since 1967. That's from speaking my mind (and poor judgement and slow reflexes and a taste for drink).
Are you a Leafs fan who has resorted to self-harm?
Old Feb 10th 2015, 10:50 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by orly
Are you a Leafs fan who has resorted to self-harm?
Our family knew Leafs goalie Johnny Bower and my sisters and mum worked in his ice-cream parlour and motel in Waskesiu so we were all Leafs fans back in the 60's (he's a great guy). Now I want to see a good game first, a western Canada team second, and in the Stanley Cup final I cheer for the Original Six team if there is one playing. Leafs and Habs are both teams that belong to the whole country. Potential immigrants should be required to watch Roch Carriere's Hockey Sweater vignette and write a thousand word essay on it.
edit: to best of my recollection I have broken both wrists once and nose x3 playing hockey or shinney, (and I don't even play!).

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 10th 2015 at 10:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.