Reload this Page >

Bricklaying in Canada.

Bricklaying in Canada.

Old May 22nd 2006, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Billstevo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bricklaying in Canada.

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know of any. I'll ask next time I speak to the bricklaying brother.
Thanks
Old May 23rd 2006, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billstevo
I dont, mind what i do as long as i can survive on the salary. Blocks i can lay with my eyes shut ( some say it looks like i have!!!!!!). Is their much call for house extensions or are they big enough to start with? Thanks for your reply.
In the year that I've been in Calgary I don't think that I've seen a single extension. Albertans must have some DNA shared with moles because they tend to go downward and develop the basement when they run out of space.

They would have trouble extending in the newer Calgary developments anyway because as I recall there are regulations that the plot area occupied by the house can't be more that 45% of the total plot area. Most that I've seen seem to pretty much use all of that up with the initial build.
Old May 23rd 2006, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Paul Freeman is an unknown quantity at this point

Any Bricklayers recently moved to Canada? I,m on the way via an agency. They have arranged job interviews in the Ontario and Alberta areas and i will be out in October to sit interviews and if they prove successful i should be back to start work on a temporary visa in May 2007. Any advice with regards to where to head for and what salary to expect.Reading the forum, getting somewhere to rent may prove expensive. I,m coming over with my wife and two kids . Heres hoping someone can help.
Billstevo - not sure what your agenda or timescales are, but seems like waiting until May 07 is a long wait.
I'm a bricklayer and for your info, this is my story:
Employed Agency October 05 (will give you details separately if you are interested in pursuing - it's not particularly cheap, but it gets the job done)
Job Offer Nov 05 (no interviews, no travelling to Canada, just by producing a resume, qualifications, references and photos of work done etc)
Job Offer validated and AEO received Dec 05 (allows you use this in your permanent residency application and therefore shorten the application timescales from approx 40 months to 6 months)
Permanent Residents Visa application submitted Jan 06
Medical Request March 06
Medicals April 06
Passport Request May 06
Pick Up Visas June 1st,

As you can see from the above, we have managed to obtain a job and be nearly on our way in 8 months. We don't intend to land until August and have just completed a fact finding trip to Calgary during which time I met my new boss and was more than happy with the result. The wage is fair and I will also receive benefits such as medical and dental insurance for myself and my family and paid holidays, pension etc. Not bad for an old brickie!!

Going the Permanent Residents route instead of work permit also allows me to change jobs if required at any time. From the fact finding trip we've just done, it would appear that there are plenty of trades jobs on offer at the moment and if you are not happy with one, then another will be just around the corner.

Let me know if I can do anything to help.
Good Luck!
Old May 24th 2006, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Billstevo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul Freeman
Billstevo - not sure what your agenda or timescales are, but seems like waiting until May 07 is a long wait.
I'm a bricklayer and for your info, this is my story:
Employed Agency October 05 (will give you details separately if you are interested in pursuing - it's not particularly cheap, but it gets the job done)
Job Offer Nov 05 (no interviews, no travelling to Canada, just by producing a resume, qualifications, references and photos of work done etc)
Job Offer validated and AEO received Dec 05 (allows you use this in your permanent residency application and therefore shorten the application timescales from approx 40 months to 6 months)
Permanent Residents Visa application submitted Jan 06
Medical Request March 06
Medicals April 06
Passport Request May 06
Pick Up Visas June 1st,

As you can see from the above, we have managed to obtain a job and be nearly on our way in 8 months. We don't intend to land until August and have just completed a fact finding trip to Calgary during which time I met my new boss and was more than happy with the result. The wage is fair and I will also receive benefits such as medical and dental insurance for myself and my family and paid holidays, pension etc. Not bad for an old brickie!!

Going the Permanent Residents route instead of work permit also allows me to change jobs if required at any time. From the fact finding trip we've just done, it would appear that there are plenty of trades jobs on offer at the moment and if you are not happy with one, then another will be just around the corner.

Let me know if I can do anything to help.
Good Luck!
Sounds like a good job package. Who are you going to work for and what type of work will you be doing.How,s it going trying to find a house are you renting or buying.
We set a time scale ourselves ,got alot to do before we are ready to go.
I,m out in Alberta in October so if you know of any other firms you can recommend, i would be very grateful.
Hope everything works out o.k.
Bill.
Old May 24th 2006, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Paul Freeman is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a good job package. Who are you going to work for and what type of work will you be doing.How,s it going trying to find a house are you renting or buying.
We set a time scale ourselves ,got alot to do before we are ready to go.
I,m out in Alberta in October so if you know of any other firms you can recommend, i would be very grateful.
Hope everything works out o.k.
Bill.
My job is with a masonry company in Calgary, arranged through my agent. The work is all commercial - as per previous replies, doesn't seem to be a lot in the of residential area. My first project will I understand be working on a school - mainly blockwork.
We have just returned from a fact finding trip where we intended to look at the price of houses etc. However, we saw for ourselves how fast everything was moving and how the prices are increasing, so decided if we waited until August we wouldn't be able to buy anything. We therefore have taken the plunge and bought something while we were there. Our understanding is that house prices are currently going up by approx $500 a day - can't confirm that, but can certainly say there was very little in our price range available, and for everything that was on the market, there were a queue of people trying to buy it. We have had to spend over $100,000 more than we would have done when we started looking 8 months ago, so is certainly going up at a fair rate.
Hope it all works out for you.