Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bricklaying in Canada.

Bricklaying in Canada.

Old May 20th 2006, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Billstevo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Bricklaying in Canada.

Any Bricklayers recently moved to Canada? I,m on the way via an agency. They have arranged job interviews in the Ontario and Alberta areas and i will be out in October to sit interviews and if they prove successful i should be back to start work on a temporary visa in May 2007. Any advice with regards to where to head for and what salary to expect.Reading the forum, getting somewhere to rent may prove expensive. I,m coming over with my wife and two kids . Heres hoping someone can help.
Old May 20th 2006, 11:20 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklaying in Canada.

Originally Posted by Billstevo
Any Bricklayers recently moved to Canada? I,m on the way via an agency. They have arranged job interviews in the Ontario and Alberta areas and i will be out in October to sit interviews and if they prove successful i should be back to start work on a temporary visa in May 2007. Any advice with regards to where to head for and what salary to expect.Reading the forum, getting somewhere to rent may prove expensive. I,m coming over with my wife and two kids . Heres hoping someone can help.
Try this site here
Do a search for bricklayers and the rest is self explanatory

http://lmi-imt.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/stand...v_main&lcode=E

Well done on getting job interviews

Eddie
Old May 20th 2006, 1:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My brother is a bricklayer by trade. I offer his story as it happened, make of it what you will.

I needed some brickwork, I got estimates, couldn't believe the price, found out the cost of materials and called brickie brother (in the pub). He came to build for beer and the cost of the trip. We went on a booze cruise related to my work and the husband of a colleague offered him a job for $27/hour cash. That was in 1987. He had some trouble with the metric blocks but, after a short while got established. He's still here. He worked for the same firm for ten years or so then married a Canadian, became legal, and moved to the country. I know the owners of the firm he worked for quite well now; neither of them are legal in Canada but that don't count for much, bricklaying (commercial bricklaying anyway, only fools do houses) is all about ethnicity, Italians employ Italians, Jamaicans employ Jamaicans, it's not about being legal.

You can certainly support your family in Ontario or Alberta but watch Alberta, it's really boom-and-bust, they want you now because now is boom.
Old May 21st 2006, 3:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Try this site here
Do a search for bricklayers and the rest is self explanatory

http://lmi-imt.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/stand...v_main&lcode=E

Well done on getting job interviews

Eddie
Eddie, Thanks for the web address, very interesting reading. Are you in the trade, if so how are you finding working in Canada, winters included.

Thanks again
Bill.
Old May 21st 2006, 3:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
My brother is a bricklayer by trade. I offer his story as it happened, make of it what you will.

I needed some brickwork, I got estimates, couldn't believe the price, found out the cost of materials and called brickie brother (in the pub). He came to build for beer and the cost of the trip. We went on a booze cruise related to my work and the husband of a colleague offered him a job for $27/hour cash. That was in 1987. He had some trouble with the metric blocks but, after a short while got established. He's still here. He worked for the same firm for ten years or so then married a Canadian, became legal, and moved to the country. I know the owners of the firm he worked for quite well now; neither of them are legal in Canada but that don't count for much, bricklaying (commercial bricklaying anyway, only fools do houses) is all about ethnicity, Italians employ Italians, Jamaicans employ Jamaicans, it's not about being legal.

You can certainly support your family in Ontario or Alberta but watch Alberta, it's really boom-and-bust, they want you now because now is boom.

Whats so bad about doing houses is it as bad as it can be in England.
I heard it,s expensive to live on the wages offered in Ontario. I don,t expect to get top money straight away but i don,t want to bring my family over and struggle to get on.
Thanks for your help.
Bill
Old May 21st 2006, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Whats so bad about doing houses is it as bad as it can be in England.
I heard it,s expensive to live on the wages offered in Ontario. I don,t expect to get top money straight away but i don,t want to bring my family over and struggle to get on.
Thanks for your help.
Bill
At least here in Alberta, nobody but the mega rich would even think about have a brick built house. Most new build houses that look like brick are just cultured stone stuck on the outside of the wooden frame. I briefly mentioned the idea of a brick house to our builder and you could see the dollars signs light up in his eyes.
Old May 21st 2006, 9:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
At least here in Alberta, nobody but the mega rich would even think about have a brick built house. Most new build houses that look like brick are just cultured stone stuck on the outside of the wooden frame. I briefly mentioned the idea of a brick house to our builder and you could see the dollars signs light up in his eyes.

Yes, that's right, most houses just have a few bricks stuck on the front any old how. There's little money in it because it takes longer to set up than it does to lay the bricks and because house buyers don't know quality brickwork anyway; they're not going to pay more for a pig free wall. Factories, warehouses and the like have actual block walls and there's worthwhile meterage in building those walls.
Old May 21st 2006, 10:06 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Eddie, Thanks for the web address, very interesting reading. Are you in the trade, if so how are you finding working in Canada, winters included.

Thanks again
Bill.

Bill not a brickie but a welder, been away a from trade for 11 years so had to go to a welding school when I ws over to get re-certified, no problemoes !!!!

We are still in the UK, Glasgow and I just returned last week from Canada with a confirmed job offer in Stratford
PR application has been with the London office since July last year

Hope to move in August :scared: :scared:

Have a good look at that site as it contains loads of info on the skilled trades

Eddie
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Bill not a brickie but a welder, been away a from trade for 11 years so had to go to a welding school when I ws over to get re-certified, no problemoes !!!!

We are still in the UK, Glasgow and I just returned last week from Canada with a confirmed job offer in Stratford
PR application has been with the London office since July last year

Hope to move in August :scared: :scared:

Have a good look at that site as it contains loads of info on the skilled trades

Eddie
Good luck Eddie, hope it goes well. I.m out in October for some job interviews. I can,t wait to go. It means i,m nearer getting out of this place before it sinks under the weight of illegals.
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Yes, that's right, most houses just have a few bricks stuck on the front any old how. There's little money in it because it takes longer to set up than it does to lay the bricks and because house buyers don't know quality brickwork anyway; they're not going to pay more for a pig free wall. Factories, warehouses and the like have actual block walls and there's worthwhile meterage in building those walls.
I dont, mind what i do as long as i can survive on the salary. Blocks i can lay with my eyes shut ( some say it looks like i have!!!!!!). Is their much call for house extensions or are they big enough to start with? Thanks for your reply.
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Posidrive
I need to rent a place when i get there whats the availability like in the Calgary area?
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:59 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I need to rent a place when i get there whats the availability like in the Calgary area?
At the moment Its Fluid. Not cheap though!!!
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

I dont, mind what i do as long as i can survive on the salary. Blocks i can lay with my eyes shut ( some say it looks like i have!!!!!!). Is their much call for house extensions or are they big enough to start with? Thanks for your reply.
Around here people expand their living area by closing in the porch or building on the deck; neither job calls for brickwork. It may be different in the suburbs where people have more room but I doubt they'd use brick; it's just not a popular option here except as a veneer.
Old May 22nd 2006, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Do you know of any reputable building companies i could get in touch with. I want to try and find out what they need out there.Thanks
Old May 22nd 2006, 5:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

Do you know of any reputable building companies i could get in touch with. I want to try and find out what they need out there.Thanks
I don't know of any. I'll ask next time I speak to the bricklaying brother.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.