Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

"You vill take your AZ vaccine and you vill like it!!" Colonel Klink

"You vill take your AZ vaccine and you vill like it!!" Colonel Klink

Old Jun 12th 2021, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "You vill take your AZ vaccine and you vill like it!!" Colonel Klink

Originally Posted by abner
Rather, if the herd wants me (.
There is definately "I" in "Team"
Old Jun 13th 2021, 10:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "You vill take your AZ vaccine and you vill like it!!" Colonel Klink

And 88% is considerably better than that.

Or, to put it the other way, with the AZ vaccine, there's a 4 in 10 chance of catching the Delta variant of Covid-19 from a significant exposure event, vs a roughly 1 in 8 chance with the Pfizer jab. I know which risk profile I'd rather have.

We can play these numbers games all day. In the end, in Australia, they come down to a personal assessment of risk, based on:
- the immediate vs future availability of one vaccine path vs another (AZ vs Pfizer, vs the likely availability of Moderna)
- personal/family proximity to hotel quarantine environments, and potential breaches of those (roughly 1 breach per 11 days, across Australia)
- personal/family proximity to community case spread, when a hotel quarantine breach is not immediately contained

Note that we're nowhere near "herd immunity" in any part of Australia, whether from vaccination or previous experience of the disease, asymptomatic or otherwise. So I'm not about to be guilted into accepting the AZ vaccine "for the sake of the herd", as if that were a goal at all close to achievement, "but for" my immediate participation.

Rather, if the herd wants me (and many like me) to join them, recognise my concerns. Offer us Pfizer / Moderna jabs instead of AZ, without age-related discrimination.

And, recognise that we're the easiest cohort of the currently unvaccinated to resolve--just give us the jab we want. Compared to the truly "hesitant", let alone the anti-vaxxers, we're 'low hanging fruit' in the overall vaccination program.
Great summary of how many people are feeling in Australia at the moment. To be lumped in with the anti vaxxers isn't accurate or helpful. Dismissing people's concerns isn't going to achieve anything. When me and the wife were waiting for our first jabs on Thursday the news on the waiting room TV was about a second blood clot death, now I know that 2 deaths in 3.6 million doses is minuscule but not to the families, and dismissing that is as bad as what we all bashed the deniers about.
Originally Posted by Beoz
There is definately "I" in "Team"
And 2 in definitely
Old Jun 13th 2021, 11:00 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
And 2 in definitely

Old Jun 14th 2021, 5:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Beoz
You don't have to have AZ for ever.

By thinking just about you and your magical October date you are just putting more pressure on everyone else. It's a numbers game mate. The more people vaxxed, the more Australia will have the confidence to open up.. Get your AZ and stop thinking about you.
From a person who's had the pfeizer jab. Hmmmm
Old Jun 15th 2021, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's time to rethink the cut-off age for the AZ vaccine...

"It may be time to consider now that we do offer Pfizer vaccine for the 50 to 59-year-old age group,"

Oops.

Last edited by abner; Jun 15th 2021 at 4:35 am.
Old Jun 15th 2021, 4:42 am
Account Closed

Maybe it's time to rethink the cut-off age for the AZ vaccine...

"It may be time to consider now that we do offer Pfizer vaccine for the 50 to 59-year-old age group,"

Oops.
2 deaths in 3.6 million doses vs a nearly 3% mortality rate for the virus, I've taken my chance and I probably would again in fairness. If our glorious leaders are passing on offers of AZ in favour of pfizer they really can't grumble when other people start doing the same.
Old Jun 15th 2021, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

2 deaths in 3.6 million doses vs a nearly 3% mortality rate for the virus.
In 2021, in Australia, there has been only 1 death from the Covid-19 virus itself (an overseas-contracted case, at that), in April.

There have been 2 deaths associated with the AZ vaccine. None associated with the Pfizer jab.

Puts in perspective the "rarity of the problem with the AZ vaccine" argument, doesn't it?

But again, from my perspective, the extra risk associated with the AZ jab isn't the true problem with it. Lack of efficacy is, compared to the mRNA vaccines, plus the "not invented here" thinking of Australian heath authorities when it comes to either:
- offering Pfizer / Moderna vaccines to over-50s at all
- supporting (hell, even allowing) a mixed-vaccine approach, based on patient preference.

Indeed, "patient preference" is a concept that seems alien to Australian health authorities. The nanny-state instinct, never far from the surface in Australian health-care (in any other country, have you ever had to explain so much to your doctor or chemist, for every single refill of even simple prescriptions?), has run rampant during the Covid-19 crisis.
Old Jun 15th 2021, 6:04 am
Account Closed

In 2021, in Australia, there has been only 1 death from the Covid-19 virus itself (an overseas-contracted case, at that), in April.

There have been 2 deaths associated with the AZ vaccine. None associated with the Pfizer jab.

Puts in perspective the "rarity of the problem with the AZ vaccine" argument, doesn't it?

But again, from my perspective, the extra risk associated with the AZ jab isn't the true problem with it. Lack of efficacy is, compared to the mRNA vaccines, plus the "not invented here" thinking of Australian heath authorities when it comes to either:
- offering Pfizer / Moderna vaccines to over-50s at all
- supporting (hell, even allowing) a mixed-vaccine approach, based on patient preference.

Indeed, "patient preference" is a concept that seems alien to Australian health authorities. The nanny-state instinct, never far from the surface in Australian health-care (in any other country, have you ever had to explain so much to your doctor or chemist, for every single refill of even simple prescriptions?), has run rampant during the Covid-19 crisis.
If you wanted to put some perspective in there youd have included the number of cases, that's a very misleading stat.
Australia has done an exceptionally good job of keeping this thing at bay, too good in fact and that's why we have the luxury of being hesitant. My personal feeling is that it'll bite us in the arse and we'll be stuck in our bubble while the rest of the world moves on.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Jun 15th 2021 at 6:26 am.
Old Jun 15th 2021, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

yakkiebush is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got my second AZ today in Windsor On.
doing my bit to get us out of this mess,man up all the doughters .maybe they enjoy wearing masks 😷.
some people are ugly mind 😂 take care all
Old Jun 17th 2021, 4:33 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting news
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...cine/100222464
Old Jun 17th 2021, 6:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by themerlin
exactly the kind of knee Jerk shit that destroys public confidence. What if in 3 months a 90 year old dies after having it, no one under 100? The government's handling of this has been pitiful. We'll be living with this situation for years.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by themerlin
Woo Hoo!

Booked my Pfizer shot 20 mins after hearing the news.!!

Mind you, I'll have to wait 3 weeks, but hey, that's life in the big city.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 7:25 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Woo Hoo!

Old Jun 17th 2021, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Woo Hoo!

I am glad thats all sorted then ..... next.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 11:23 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

exactly the kind of knee Jerk shit that destroys public confidence. What if in 3 months a 90 year old dies after having it, no one under 100? The government's handling of this has been pitiful. We'll be living with this situation for years.
I think they have already done that.

I have a feel the Pfizer shots are coming it faster than expected, so this is a bit of a U-turn to save face.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.