Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I LOVE Australia but my husband HATES it.

I LOVE Australia but my husband HATES it.

Old Jan 23rd 2016, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I LOVE Australia but my husband HATES it.

Originally Posted by manekeniko
Why is it mean when the problem could be his state of mind and not situational? I don't know the couple of course, but I do know some people see the negative in everything and they're unhappy wherever they are.

This is depression, midlife crisis or whatever you want to call it. Moving wouldn't necessarily fix it for long.
OP had posted four lines about how she loved Australia and her husband hated it and you respond that he obviously has a problem and would be complaining anywhere. If you don't understand why this is an unfair comment and yes a mean comment, I doubt I can help you.

I love Australia myself, but I don't find it hard to emphasise with somebody that doesn't and is homesick. I don't feel the need to be insulting to them because they do not like the same things as me. And returning to the homelands is an immediate cure for somene with situational depression caused by their surroundings.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dannygirl
Hey was interested to hear you moved back last year, how are you liking it? Where did you choose to settle?
Are you happy with the move?
As one poster posted, I have to stop reading the tabloids! I do that a lot,
I don't know anyone in the Uk now, so its how I get my information. I would be interested to find out, if it was everything you thought it would be? Did you settle in?, how had things changed? Are you going to stay? I was looking on DiscoverAustralia, they do package deals to Melbourne, and am trying to get hubby to go for a week, the tennis is on, it may cheer him up abit, and
I tend to think he may like Inner Melbourne as the other poster suggested. I guess have to try everything. I really appreciate all the posters on here, it gives you new eyes into a situation, and helps a lot.
Well I can answer your questions, but before I do I would have to say that there are no real parallels with your situation. You have been in Australia for 25 years, us just five and Mr Bermudashorts and I were both happy in Australia, both happy in UK previously and both happy to move back.

So we moved back to Hertfordshire which is where we lived before and where we own a house so not a tricky decision for us. It was incredibly easy to settle back in, in some ways like we had never been away but just different enough to be a bit of fun and adventure too. People often mention that the country is changing but after a mere five years, I can't see anything much different.

I think your idea of trying somewhere new in Australia is a good one btw.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

tigger384 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dannygirl

Lost you on another site found you here

Steve
Old Dec 17th 2016, 8:09 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I live in the UK, and have NEVER heard of anything like that, please stop reading tabloid newspapers. The UK really isn't the country you left 20 years ago, in the same way that Australia isn't the same.

spot on Mike
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There are of course also people in Australia who commit suicide because of not having a job, being poor et. All the reasons exist in both countries, unfortunately.
In fact the suicide rate per capita in Australia is almost twice that of the UK, according to the world health organisation.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucky Lucan
In fact the suicide rate per capita in Australia is almost twice that of the UK, according to the world health organisation.
Paradoxical effect coming into play with this one....... It's even worse being outcast when everyone around is doing well.

The more affluent countries have abnormally higher suicide rates.

Partly explained here .....Why Suicides Are More Common in Richer Neighborhoods | TIME.com

'Keeping Up With The Joneses' Could Lead To Suicide | Business Insider
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 11:58 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I love the wide open spaces, the beach, the peace, nature, the birds, friendly people, kookaburra birds on my verandah every day, feeling at peace in my heart with it all. I live in Redcliffe Queensland.
To me its Paradise. Hubby on the other hand, has not stopped complaining
since he arrived 6 years ago. Every golden opportunity that has come his way, he has thrown away, with his hatred of this country.

He refuses to join in and is so judgemental of the way people dress, the way they look, the lifestyle, he is very aggressive towards Australian life now.

We will probably end up splitting up, unless I leave, and I don't want to.

Has anyone else had this? Where one person loves the country and the other doesn't?
Its just me, honest to God

totally understandable tell him

After all of that & after 6 years in (why does he continue to stay?), is there not one thing that he likes about Australia or is it just where you live, the job, is it you or is it just you getting it all wrong & there isn't anything wrong with him or his OZ dislikes?

Right, so you've told us he is a whinging pom

Is there or are there any dislikes about OZ from your POV?

Could it be that he doesn't want to leave OZ but you would like to return to the UK .... be honest now?
Old Dec 24th 2016, 11:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucky Lucan
Having lost a partner and several friends to it, I am well aware of the suicide rate here, unfortunately.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I live in the UK, and have NEVER heard of anything like that, please stop reading tabloid newspapers. The UK really isn't the country you left 20 years ago, in the same way that Australia isn't the same.
I agree with you, everywhere changes some for the better and worse, we wanted to move back to the UK and the amount of "horror tales" expats were willing to offer us was very kind of them lol but for the most none had been back to the UK for years, just read the British newspapers. If we had listened to them we would never have come back to the UK....it was the same the other way around, we met an Aussie (child migrant) on a "day out" in the UK months before we were heading out and when we mentioned we were heading to Aus and thinking of WA we had tales of Drugs, Gambling addicts, Bike Gangs and "yup yup" type of people (the Aussie gent was from Sydney) it scared the life out of me....if we had listened to him as well we would not of gone (mind you a lot of it was true lol......joking.....well some of it was !!) to Australia.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I love the wide open spaces, the beach, the peace, nature, the birds, friendly people, kookaburra birds on my verandah every day, feeling at peace in my heart with it all. I live in Redcliffe Queensland.
To me its Paradise. Hubby on the other hand, has not stopped complaining
since he arrived 6 years ago. Every golden opportunity that has come his way, he has thrown away, with his hatred of this country. He refuses to join in and is so judgemental of the way people dress, the way they look, the lifestyle, he is very aggressive towards Australian life now. We will probably end up splitting up, unless I leave, and I don't want to.
Has anyone else had this? Where one person loves the country and the other doesn't?
Unfortunately your not on your own, I know a few people who cannot agree from the type of home they like to a certain area or country. if I were you I would sit down with your partner and have a good long chat, maybe come to a compromise ie move somewhere a bit more "hip and trendy" for your husband but with the countryside as you like it on your doorstep, I have not met a huge number of couples who like exactly the same things in life but it is about give and take, the main thing is that you love each other and if you still do then work at a good outcome for the pair of you. If I loved my partner enough I would not let an area/country spoil a relationship. Good luck
Old Dec 25th 2016, 11:35 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby on the other hand, has not stopped complaining since he arrived 6 years ago.
Are you sure he was like that from the get go? Or did this feeling creep in over the first few months and hasn't dissipated since?

There is a good chance a year back in the UK will change his mind, especially after seeing the bleakness out there during the cold months. Think of it as a vaccine that will have him thinking differently, not seeing Australia in such a bad light, and certainly not thinking of moving out again for the next 5-10 years.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 3:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

the OP posted this post Jan 2016 & hasn't been back since.

I wonder if reviving this thread recently after laying there for 11 months has served any purpose for the OP, or whether she is sorted now?

Is it likely the OP will come back with an update?
Old Dec 25th 2016, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt the OP's spouse really hates Australia: it's just where he happens to be. He doesn't like living outside Britain, that's all. Some people feel out of place when they're out of their original place; they're not born to be expatriates, and it's bad luck if they marry someone who is born to be. My wife and I are fortunately compatible in that regard. Both from Australia, we met overseas, married overseas, produced our child overseas (and educated him in England), and have lived overseas all our lives, though happy enough to return to the land of our birth from time to time - and indeed to England, where we have many friends. That's what expats do, pretty much, isn't it? People who have immigrated to Oz frequently ask us, "Why on earth would you desert Oz and not want to go back?" To which the standard answer is, "We didn't desert it, and would happily live there; but it just wasn't in our plans, and we have lived happily in the several other places we've called home." We never get homesick.

(Our son inherited the gene, and spent almost his entire adult life away from his home island, though he just returned to it a few months ago to be with a woman living here, who is an immigrant here.)
Old Dec 25th 2016, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I doubt the OP's spouse really hates Australia: it's just where he happens to be. He doesn't like living outside Britain, that's all. Some people feel out of place when they're out of their original place; they're not born to be expatriates, and it's bad luck if they marry someone who is born to be. My wife and I are fortunately compatible in that regard. Both from Australia, we met overseas, married overseas, produced our child overseas (and educated him in England), and have lived overseas all our lives, though happy enough to return to the land of our birth from time to time - and indeed to England, where we have many friends. That's what expats do, pretty much, isn't it? People who have immigrated to Oz frequently ask us, "Why on earth would you desert Oz and not want to go back?" To which the standard answer is, "We didn't desert it, and would happily live there; but it just wasn't in our plans, and we have lived happily in the several other places we've called home." We never get homesick.

(Our son inherited the gene, and spent almost his entire adult life away from his home island, though he just returned to it a few months ago to be with a woman living here, who is an immigrant here.)

Probably the most likely reason of the lot. Well put Gordon. I've met people from Rhyl that dont like multi faceted Melbourne or anywhere else in Aus for that matter, same for Glasgow.... and with all of Melbournes facets It probably doesn't have a similar enough Rhyl or Gorbels facet
Old Dec 25th 2016, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Just about the worst thing anyone can do is focus on the worst and the tabloid. We see it a lot on BE.

Life is about building not about destroying : if you can help it.

Some people seem to attract problems and those people are very hard to build up after a lot of disappointments. Often there is little access to life changing opportunity. When doors open routinely you have to take opportunity is my view or the same doors close one after the after.

I couldn't do QLD, but! an old acquaintance has moved and he is doing well : extremely well...but he was always a high flier. Bit of a litmus test perhaps.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Dec 26th 2016 at 12:04 am.