Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I LOVE Australia but my husband HATES it.

I LOVE Australia but my husband HATES it.

Old Jan 23rd 2016, 2:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I LOVE Australia but my husband HATES it.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
One case, almost two years ago? one swallow doesn't make a summer. The bedroom tax has been a problem for some people I admit, and I'm not a fan, but from what the op was saying she seemed to think that people were committing suicide all over the UK in droves, at least that's how the post came across.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 2:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There are of course also people in Australia who commit suicide because of not having a job, being poor et. All the reasons exist in both countries, unfortunately.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There are of course also people in Australia who commit suicide because of not having a job, being poor et. All the reasons exist in both countries, unfortunately.
And it definitely is a mental health issue sadly. Poor buggers could equally be upset by a run of hot days or rainy days.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Dannygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well that definitely makes the dilemma even more complicated than it already was.

There really is nothing wrong with the UK, it is doing very nicely. I read a story on the bedroom tax suicide the other day as well, but people are not committing suicide in UK left right and centre. Sadly there always will be people that see no other way out in any country and this has more to do with their mental health than any external factor. This is no reason to choose a place to live.

That aside though, I certainly better understand your hesitance to move back. You have been in Australia a long time, have a life here and to be honest I am not sure I would want to start again at 52 either. We moved back last year, when I was 45 and I thought that is about as old as I want to be when starting again (other than when I reach retirement, then I fancy retiring somewhere nice maybe Australia again).

Good luck with it, I don't envy your position and sorry cannot think of any solution.
Hey was interested to hear you moved back last year, how are you liking it? Where did you choose to settle?
Are you happy with the move?
As one poster posted, I have to stop reading the tabloids! I do that a lot,
I don't know anyone in the Uk now, so its how I get my information. I would be interested to find out, if it was everything you thought it would be? Did you settle in?, how had things changed? Are you going to stay? I was looking on DiscoverAustralia, they do package deals to Melbourne, and am trying to get hubby to go for a week, the tennis is on, it may cheer him up abit, and
I tend to think he may like Inner Melbourne as the other poster suggested. I guess have to try everything. I really appreciate all the posters on here, it gives you new eyes into a situation, and helps a lot.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Is it Australia or Brisvegas he objects to? Australia is a big country, maybe a different state would suit him better.
I think that is a good idea, I was looking on the internet, at DiscoverAustralia.com.au, they do cheap package deals, hotel, flights.
I will see if I can get him to go and have a look at Melbourne, the tennis is on at the moment, and he loves the tennis. I think where we live is just a little to quiet for him. He actually likes the Brisbane city. He has never seen any other part of Australia. Where we live, very occasionally you see someone walking around in no shoes, that does his head in. But I am used to it now.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 3:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me as much like a marital mis-match as a wrong country problem.

That said it may be even more of a mid-life crisis than either, a sort of proto old-codger issue, that could easily have happened to him even if you/he had stayed in the UK, given the rapid way things have changed there too.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That's right Pollyana, we have one of the highest suicide rates in the world now, higher than the road toll. Individual suicides are not reported in the media here in Australia. We only hear about the family ones, or something the media considers newsworthy. But generally you never hear about the thousands every year that suicide.
Its getting a lot harder for people now, property prices, rental prices, competition for jobs, the demands of family, people losing everything through illness, marriage breakdown. If you have a decent job now, you hold on to it, one of my friends, spent 2 years trying to get a job, and she's still there
10 years on.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 3:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dannygirl
That's right Pollyana, we have one of the highest suicide rates in the world now,
I'd be interested to know where you got that idea from, because I don't think it's the case.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jan 23rd 2016 at 11:55 pm. Reason: fix quote
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 4:05 pm
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It didn't sound like that at all, what a mean thing to say. He is unhappy in Australia, it happens to a lot of people when they move to the other side of the world. They don't fit in, they can't get comfortable, situational depression can set in.

The OP and the OH are in a very difficult situation and neither of them is right or wrong. It is just two people wanting different things. The OH deserves some credit for putting his own happiness last for six years.
Why is it mean when the problem could be his state of mind and not situational? I don't know the couple of course, but I do know some people see the negative in everything and they're unhappy wherever they are.

This is depression, midlife crisis or whatever you want to call it. Moving wouldn't necessarily fix it for long.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 4:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
.... I'd be interested to know where you got that idea from, because I don't think it's the case.
Australia is listed joint 63rd according to the WHO in 2012, which is distinctly mid-table out of 170 countries listed. The rate is about 50% higher than the suicide rate in the UK.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sounds to me as much like a marital mis-match as a wrong country problem.

That said it may be even more of a mid-life crisis than either, a sort of proto old-codger issue, that could easily have happened to him even if you/he had stayed in the UK, given the rapid way things have changed there too.
Ha ha, that made me laugh I had never heard the words "proto old-codger"
but made me chuckle, thanks for that! Our mis-match stems from the speed we wish to live life. I'v slowed down, and just want serenity.
He's still a bundle of energy, who thinks serenity is boring, and wants life at a different speed.
I don't need a lot of people, I have half a doz friends, and only see 2 of them weekly. The rest more sporadic. Where hubby likes a lot of people around, and can be quite social with his group.
But he's the type of person that has been there for me when the going gets tough, and I for him.
So there's a lot to be said for that eh?
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'd be interested to know where you got that idea from, because I don't think it's the case.
Stand corrected, your right. Its the leading cause of death for Australians aged 15-44 with one attempt every 10 mins.
But yes, we are not one of the highest suicides in the world sorry.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jan 23rd 2016 at 11:56 pm. Reason: fix quote
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I've been where he is and my DH has stood in your shoes! We had a workable compromise in that I stayed in Aus with the proviso that he worked to ensure I had enough money to go home as and when I needed. Then life threw us a curve ball and we found ourselves in UK and he is like a pig in muck - probably because this compromise situation is that he gets to visit Aus as and when he needs and we expect to return when our situation changes. You might want to consider relationships counselling to see if there is a better workable compromise.

As for suicides - I'm not surprised that the official figures aren't higher - anyone in the industry will tell you that there is a huge reluctance to label deaths as suicides unless it it obvious to blind Freddy - notes and all.

Good luck sorting it all out - exogenous depression is a very real beast unfortunately.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I think BritInParis hit the nail on the head, recommending that the OP and her man try Melbourne. There is a world of difference between the Australian States' capitals, after all. My wife was born and brought up in Melbourne, and likes the style of life there. I was born and brought up in Queensland - first in the bush, then in Toowoomba and Brisbane - and didn't like Melbourne or its people. As it happened, we never lived in either place as a couple, so we never had to make that particular choice.

Instead, we live in a small Caribbean island, where the s-l-o-w culture and lifestyle suits me better than her. Nowadays, we squabble about where we'll live when it gets too expensive for us here. There's always something...!
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 9:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dannygirl
Stand corrected, your right. Its the leading cause of death for Australians aged 15-44 with one attempt every 10 mins.
But yes, we are not one of the highest suicides in the world sorry.
That's ok, suicide is heartbreaking and even one is too many. Best of luck with sorting things out.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jan 23rd 2016 at 11:58 pm. Reason: fix quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.