Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / The Barbie

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 12th 2017, 2:11 am   #346
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,205
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
Well that's true of everything apple does. Quality is a perturbation on the total sales - there are the fanbois who will buy any and everything.
The need to feel part of a club.

Bit like the Hillsong church.
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 11:29 am   #347
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,205
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Google Home has landed in Oz.

https://www.cnet.com/au/products/google-home/review/

Not really ready yet but shouldn't be too long. Amazon in the mix. No doubt Apple will jump on as they have nothing else.

So it looks like we will be buying future appliances based on flavour of choice and as usually happens, people will dive in, then that player pulls out of the race, and the consumer is left stagnate.
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 11:42 am   #348
GarryP 
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs
 
GarryP's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,048
GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Google Home has landed in Oz.

https://www.cnet.com/au/products/google-home/review/

Not really ready yet but shouldn't be too long. Amazon in the mix. No doubt Apple will jump on as they have nothing else.

So it looks like we will be buying future appliances based on flavour of choice and as usually happens, people will dive in, then that player pulls out of the race, and the consumer is left stagnate.
Expectation is the Google Home Mini will launch with the Pixel 2 phones on 5th Oct at something akin to the Amazon Dot prices ~ $50 on discount. Amazon will probably also launch their Echo, Dot, Dash, Look and Show here in plenty of time for Xmas.

Plenty of others bolting one or other into their devices, and I'm sure the rest will make their devices work properly online (finally). Apple are quite a long way behind, with a $465 device that won't launch till Dec, and won't actually do much smart stuff. MS have basically given up, throwing in with Alexa.
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 3:17 pm   #349
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,001
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

I've had an Amazon Echo since 2015 and it is now one of our goto devices

A superb piece of tech
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 9:37 pm   #350
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,205
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
Expectation is the Google Home Mini will launch with the Pixel 2 phones on 5th Oct at something akin to the Amazon Dot prices ~ $50 on discount. Amazon will probably also launch their Echo, Dot, Dash, Look and Show here in plenty of time for Xmas.

Plenty of others bolting one or other into their devices, and I'm sure the rest will make their devices work properly online (finally). Apple are quite a long way behind, with a $465 device that won't launch till Dec, and won't actually do much smart stuff. MS have basically given up, throwing in with Alexa.
Amazon have given up developing there own search capabilities throwing in with Cortana and Bing.
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th 2017, 10:34 am   #351
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,001
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Things are picking up work-wise for me and for the first time in years, I received a bonus. With some of this, yesterday I bought a DJI Mavic Pro drone

I'm not new to RC and drone flying and have built several but this drone - wow, just wow

My son and I took it up to Mt Dale (far from everyone) this afternoon and put it through its paces. I won't post how high/far we got it (you never know who's reading this) but all I can say is that we only pushed it to about 20% of its capability and its performance is insane - far beyond anything I've built and flown before. Considering that this is a consumer product that can be bought off the shelf at JB and easily flown by an 8 year old, also kind of worrying. The only limiting factor is battery capacity, which is effectively 25 minutes

Get one. Use it once and you'll have a big grin on your face

Recommended
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th 2017, 9:10 pm   #352
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,205
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
Things are picking up work-wise for me and for the first time in years, I received a bonus. With some of this, yesterday I bought a DJI Mavic Pro drone

I'm not new to RC and drone flying and have built several but this drone - wow, just wow

My son and I took it up to Mt Dale (far from everyone) this afternoon and put it through its paces. I won't post how high/far we got it (you never know who's reading this) but all I can say is that we only pushed it to about 20% of its capability and its performance is insane - far beyond anything I've built and flown before. Considering that this is a consumer product that can be bought off the shelf at JB and easily flown by an 8 year old, also kind of worrying. The only limiting factor is battery capacity, which is effectively 25 minutes

Get one. Use it once and you'll have a big grin on your face

Recommended
I saw it in action last easter. There was a guy on the beach flying it around. Stopped for a chat. He flew it around the next headland out of sight. Flew it around for a bit on the next beach then returned it. Video is very good quality. Very cool kit for an off the shelf product.

When is the next version due? Its getting a bit old now.
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th 2017, 12:46 am   #353
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,001
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
I saw it in action last easter. There was a guy on the beach flying it around. Stopped for a chat. He flew it around the next headland out of sight. Flew it around for a bit on the next beach then returned it. Video is very good quality. Very cool kit for an off the shelf product.

When is the next version due? Its getting a bit old now.
DJI released an updated version called the Platinum a few months ago but I don't think the extra performance of it justifies the additional cost. There are better drones available off the shelf but not at the price point that I paid for the Mavic - which basically costs what it does in the US and is way cheaper than the UK (a given really considering how they are ripped off for tech in that country)

This also fits in with my philosophy of never buying the very latest tech unless it is a genuine bargain. Waiting a short while means you end up paying a lot less for something that is still extremely functional. So I recently could have bought a Galaxy S8 for $1400 but instead bought a Moto G5 plus for under $300. Likewise, I could have bought a DJI Phantom 4 Obsidian for $2800 but got the Mavic instead

One of the most powerful basic concepts I learnt in economics is opportunity cost - and I apply it all the time now
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th 2017, 5:10 am   #354
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,205
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
DJI released an updated version called the Platinum a few months ago but I don't think the extra performance of it justifies the additional cost. There are better drones available off the shelf but not at the price point that I paid for the Mavic - which basically costs what it does in the US and is way cheaper than the UK (a given really considering how they are ripped off for tech in that country)

This also fits in with my philosophy of never buying the very latest tech unless it is a genuine bargain. Waiting a short while means you end up paying a lot less for something that is still extremely functional. So I recently could have bought a Galaxy S8 for $1400 but instead bought a Moto G5 plus for under $300. Likewise, I could have bought a DJI Phantom 4 Obsidian for $2800 but got the Mavic instead

One of the most powerful basic concepts I learnt in economics is opportunity cost - and I apply it all the time now
Yeah I wouldn't pay $1400 for an S8. It would be nearly impossible to do so unless you were giving a massive tip.
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th 2017, 7:05 am   #355
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,001
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Yeah I wouldn't pay $1400 for an S8. It would be nearly impossible to do so unless you were giving a massive tip.
Fair enough but you know what I mean
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:45 pm   #356
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,205
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Garry. Remember that Microsoft share tip I gave you 4 years ago? How's that tip going?

http://www.smh.com.au/business/how-microsoft-the-giant-of-the-90s-survived-the-first-tech-backlash-20180207-p4yznm.html

Probably not as good this week as it was last week so now is a good time to jump on board.
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / The Barbie


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 2:03 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com