Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you love about living in Australia?

What do you love about living in Australia?

Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What do you love about living in Australia?

Originally Posted by roobush
Hello

We're planning on moving out to Melbourne after xmas this year, but starting to get the collywobbles a bit!

Need to keep my momentum and enthusiasm for making the big move going, so come on everybody, what do you LOVE about living in Australia?
AND:
Do your kids have a better quality of life out there?

Only positive replies wanted please!

Many thanks
roobush
The weather. Well you said positives only.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Roobush - I can understand why you want to hear positives only as you've got all the worries of the world on your shoulders ... sadly there are a few posters on here who have forgotten that feeling and can't see the wood for the trees when it comes to others happiness (or potential happiness).

What do I love?

Let me paint a picture ....

I am currently working from home ( when not on BE) which I couldn't do in UK.

I have my pet parrot trying to eat my pen/mouse/notebook depening on his mood - couldn't see that happening in UK

In 10 days time we head off on a road trip to Darwin - it'll be 7,000 kms by the time we go up there and back - wouldn't have dreamed of doing a 200 km trip in UK school holidays

Whilst on our road trip we'll drive a car we own outright, with a camper trailer we own outright and most importantly both purchased without loans, borrowing etc.

We'll be away 3 weeks and we couldn't take that much time off work at once in UK - or off school for that matter.

It'll be frosty when we leave here and we'll be in 32 c within 3 days

I could go on, and on and on but that might do you for now!!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:39 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
Roobush - I can understand why you want to hear positives only as you've got all the worries of the world on your shoulders ... sadly there are a few posters on here who have forgotten that feeling and can't see the wood for the trees when it comes to others happiness (or potential happiness).

What do I love?

I have my pet parrot trying to eat my pen/mouse/notebook depening on his mood - couldn't see that happening in UK

In 10 days time we head off on a road trip to Darwin - it'll be 7,000 kms by the time we go up there and back - wouldn't have dreamed of doing a 200 km trip in UK school holidays

Whilst on our road trip we'll drive a car we own outright, with a camper trailer we own outright and most importantly both purchased without loans, borrowing etc.

We'll be away 3 weeks and we couldn't take that much time off work at once in UK - or off school for that matter.

Good onya joe , but who,s looking after the Spuds while yer gone...?.........mm
Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:17 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw

What do I love?

Well done, I'm truly green with envy
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine & blue skies
Old Jun 24th 2010, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by roobush
Wow, wasn't expecting such a hostile reaction, I only wanted to find out what people love about living in Australia as I'm feeling a bit collywobbliysh at the moment and trying to reassure myself that we are doing the right thing!

Hello

Get used to the hostility and negativity here......

Luckily, there are some wonderful people here too that will listen, and give you a balanced and fair answer to your questions.

As for the rest, don`t take any notice, the havn`t got anything better to do than dampen other peoples spirits.

Not aimed at anyone on this thread by the way.

Old Jun 24th 2010, 4:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
Hello

Get used to the hostility and negativity here......

Luckily, there are some wonderful people here too that will listen, and give you a balanced and fair answer to your questions.

As for the rest, don`t take any notice, the havn`t got anything better to do than dampen other peoples spirits.

Not aimed at anyone on this thread by the way.

Some of us who are viewed as "negative" actually try very hard to give a fair and balanced view - its just that we get viewed as negative because we don't think Australia is the answer to all life's ills
Its just a place to live, some like it, some don't, same as any place.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Some of us who are viewed as "negative" actually try very hard to give a fair and balanced view - its just that we get viewed as negative because we don't think Australia is the answer to all life's ills
Its just a place to live, some like it, some don't, same as any place.
Agreed my dear. wasn`t being flippant, least of all to you!

You more than qualify for "wonderful"

Australia is no Utopia, that simply does not exsist, but I have never been so what do I really know?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:13 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

You have to go beyond the beaches and the weather, as though they are great there is more to life.

If you are one of the many here who earn's $150,000+ annually, you're probably going to love it all the way.

(Just ignore the rest of us - most of us are enjoying ourselves here, just a little cranky from the high cost of living. )
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coolshadows
You have to go beyond the beaches and the weather, as though they are great there is more to life.

If you are one of the many here who earn's $150,000+ annually, you're probably going to love it all the way.

(Just ignore the rest of us - most of us are enjoying ourselves here, just a little cranky from the high cost of living. )
Thanks mate, I just want to put the brakes on my life a bit, so if I can achieve that then I am happy

Also, I love exploring, I want to see everything! Only reason beaches appeal is that I love walking etc. Love the sun too, but not interested in lying in it all day, oh and then there is the magnificent storms which i cannot wait to see

Last edited by 7immyboy; Jun 24th 2010 at 10:43 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:08 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

then there is the magnificent storms which i cannot wait to see
Tell me about out, got zero sleep last night cause of the rain on the ol' tin roof. Sounded like a jumbo jet hovering a couple of metres above the house.

Water shortage? they get far more rain than the Pennines at times!
Old Jun 26th 2010, 8:05 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to put the brakes on my life a bit,
Then you are coming to the right place - life here is fairly horizontal at times. A bit of a culture shock when you are used to going at 100mph all day every day - if you do that here you just leave everyone else behind.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:48 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by priscillapresley
Hi, New to the site x Have read your reply to a question "what do you love about oz" which was very uplifting as myself and my husband and 2 children are moving to brisbane on 31 october this year. The worry is immense so reassuring words really do make a difference. One concern is the schooling for me, which area are you from and have you got any advice about what to look out for when choosing schools???
Hi

We live in Shailer Park, our son goes to Kimberley Park State School which is just round the corner from us.
We had heard from parents at the Kindy, about the school, so we had a look and decided it was for us.

Its weird that whenever i go and pick him up from school, i get such a good vibe its hard to describe. The kids all seem to be very polite and well mannered, the teachers all seem to be smiling and the After School / Vacation Care is superb, such a friendly happy bunch they are. We had the seniors musical last week and it was fantastic, so much work by all involved made for a great show.

Another thing is where we are we are surrounded by good secondary schools as well, all within easy driving distance, although most are private.

It is a huge undertaking coming here, leaving everything that is familiar to you, but in our view its been the best move ever. As i said before there is good and bad, but the main thing is we are all happy and content.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:41 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I got fed up of acreage , too hard to get home after a drink (no public transport).

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Love the space you get for yer money (here anyway), we are on acreage and I can't think of a better place to bring up kids.