Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you love about living in Australia?

What do you love about living in Australia?

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

roobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura about
Default What do you love about living in Australia?

Hello

We're planning on moving out to Melbourne after xmas this year, but starting to get the collywobbles a bit!

Need to keep my momentum and enthusiasm for making the big move going, so come on everybody, what do you LOVE about living in Australia?
AND:
Do your kids have a better quality of life out there?

Only positive replies wanted please!

Many thanks
roobush
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of
Default Re: What do you love about living in Australia?

Why do you only want positive replies?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:11 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salopian
Is,nt that obvious , "shropshire slasher lad" ...none of your vitriol.......mm
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roobush
Hello

We're planning on moving out to Melbourne after xmas this year, but starting to get the collywobbles a bit!

Need to keep my momentum and enthusiasm for making the big move going, so come on everybody, what do you LOVE about living in Australia?
AND:

Many thanks
roobush
Wouldn't a realistic picture be better than just a rose-tinted one?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:16 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Having recently written a pros and cons list:
living 200m from the beach.

being able to see a GP at 10pm at night, as part of the 'normal' service!

Ermmmm.... OK, I confess, that's all I've got up to now!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

roobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura about

Wow, wasn't expecting such a hostile reaction, I only wanted to find out what people love about living in Australia as I'm feeling a bit collywobbliysh at the moment and trying to reassure myself that we are doing the right thing!

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salopian

Why can't the OP request only positive replies to THEIR (his or hers) thread? I'm sure the OP can and has read differing opinions about Oz on the rest of the forum.

Wow, wasn't expecting such a hostile reaction, I only wanted to find out what people love about living in Australia as I'm feeling a bit collywobbliysh at the moment and trying to reassure myself that we are doing the right thing!

Good luck Roobush!

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 22nd 2010 at 6:59 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

I know exactly how you feel roobush. Sometimes I wake up and wonder what the hell I'm thinking of planning to leave my family, friends, good job etc to move to the other side of the world. Having read lots of posts on here I think this rollercoaster of emotions is normal (I hope!) However I found the recent thread 'photos of life in Au' very uplifting and it made me look forward once again to getting out there.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:41 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Roobush

We live in Melbourne, we chose Melbourne because it had good job prospects plus we can afford to live within walking distance of the beach and commuting distance of the city which we could not in Sydney for instance.

We love Melbourne, it is a beautiful city with a very European feel, it has great beaches, fantastic surrounding countryside. The weather here is great, except for the very hottest part of summer when you are forced indoors during the day, but this is only a few days.

We can do so many more things here than we did in England. We go camping, boating, swimming, boogie boarding and skiing all close to home. We take the kids for great cycle rides through the park near our house and see all kinds of wild birds there. In our garden we get Cockatoos, galahs, possums, rainbow lorikeets.

Life's good. I enjoyed my life in the UK too, however here is the right place for us now.

BB
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:45 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

AND:

Many thanks
roobush
Our life since we can here has been all positives.....never had a doubt that we did the right thing......we have been here now since Nov 2005.

Even now after 5 yrs simple things still make me smile, like on Sunday we went for a stroll through one of the many parks near home, families everywhere using the free BBQs, kids playing in the sunshine, surrounded by beautiful gardens / foliage.

Waking up to sunshine nearly everyday has a very stimulating effect on you, one of my biggest pleasures is sitting out on the patio with my morning coffee, before the day begins, simple thing that i don't ever think i'll take for granted.

Our 9 yr old has thrived since we arrived, he leads a full, active and sometimes hectic life but we would'nt have it any other way, if he's not swimming or at cricket practice... he's outdoors in the garden.
His school is fantastic, and we have nothing but good things say about his education, some may disagree but i am speaking personally.

Our social life is busy as well.....most weekends we are either at home with friends or out at friends....BBq's in the park, down at the beach, in the city we could be anywhere........

Not that its all perfect, but nowhere is perfect, you have to take the good with the bad, but the good far out weighs the bad for us....

From our experience Australia suits us perfectly, it may not suit you, but you'll never know if you don't give it a shot......do you want to say in a few years "Oh i wish we had....."
Its a massive life changing experience, and we are better people for that experience.....we can't imagine our lives anywhere but here..

Good luck on whatever you decide...
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:51 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Its not England! Nuff said! Go on shoot me, shoot me I dare you!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Its not England! Nuff said! Go on shoot me, shoot me I dare you!
Bang
Attached Images  
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:00 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Love the space you get for yer money (here anyway), we are on acreage and I can't think of a better place to bring up kids.

That's it matey, dream away and come with the right attitude and you are sorted

Good Luck
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

AND:

Many thanks
roobush
Your house, if you can afford one, will be bigger than the UK.
The weather will be better than the UK, unless you move to Melbo.... Oh.
Your kids will have a different life... better quality is very subjective and you will hear diametrically opposed views as to if it's 'better' or not.

What do I love here?... dunno really, nothing much, but it's still a pretty good place to live for the most part.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jun 22nd 2010 at 10:12 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mazza12
I know exactly how you feel roobush. Sometimes I wake up and wonder what the hell I'm thinking of planning to leave my family, friends, good job etc to move to the other side of the world. Having read lots of posts on here I think this rollercoaster of emotions is normal (I hope!) However I found the recent thread 'photos of life in Au' very uplifting and it made me look forward once again to getting out there.
Couldnt agree more. Don`t think I have ever been so stressed out and anxious about anything! OH is preggers and in QLD and I am in the sunny Midlands, which to be fair has been quite sunny of late....

It is a rollercoaster and a half, but I know i will be rewarded for all my hard work, blood, sweat, and yes tears too. Saying goodbye to my Mrs for 3 months, watching her walk behind the opaque screen of departures at Heathrow was heartbreaking. But it had to be done.

I just hope it is all worth it, I know its a fantastic place but its not for everybody. I am very lucky in the sense that I am on a spouse route in, I really feel for others on a much more complex and difficult visa ( I am no expert)

Sometimes I just want it over, regardless of the decision !

But what a sense of acheivement when it is finally over...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.