Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back to Oz, no job :(

Back to Oz, no job :(

Old May 15th 2010, 6:35 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back to Oz, no job :(

Been back here in Oz now for 6 weeks and 2 days, who's counting?

Not having much luck trying to find a job. I have applied for over 20 jobs, have had 5 knockbacks without even an interview. I have had a couple of written replies so I'm hoping that means I might at least get an interview as if they didn't want me surely they would have said so in the letter. Hope springs eternal.

My (also unemployed) friend told me she heard Julia Gillard in a radio interview the other day saying that Australian unemployment figures are the envy of the world.

She mustn't have visited Wollongong lately...........

(Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong bit)

Last edited by Beedubya; May 15th 2010 at 6:37 am.
Old May 15th 2010, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to Oz, no job :(

6 weeks is not that long really although I imagine that it feels like it to you!
Have sent you some K & hope that your luck changes soon
Old May 15th 2010, 6:50 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
6 weeks is not that long really although I imagine that it feels like it to you!
Have sent you some K & hope that your luck changes soon
Thanks Sally, no it's not long but damn it ain't half frustrating LOL!!

Applied to one agency who had advertised for Public Service jobs in Wollongong, I phoned them later in the day to see they had my C.V. etc and asked what sector the jobs were in.

"Oh no," she says "We don't have any ACTUAL jobs, just our pool is dry and if any Government jobs come up we like to be prepared."

Old May 15th 2010, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Thanks Sally, no it's not long but damn it ain't half frustrating LOL!!

Applied to one agency who had advertised for Public Service jobs in Wollongong, I phoned them later in the day to see they had my C.V. etc and asked what sector the jobs were in.

"Oh no," she says "We don't have any ACTUAL jobs, just our pool is dry and if any Government jobs come up we like to be prepared."

Been talking to loads of tradies in bris they reckon there is no work and come after the big projects (AIRPORT LINK AND GATEWAY) that will be it.
Old May 15th 2010, 12:03 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mark wool
Been talking to loads of tradies in bris they reckon there is no work and come after the big projects (AIRPORT LINK AND GATEWAY) that will be it.
Can't be true, unemployment is heading south of 5% so it must be harder being unemployed.
Old May 15th 2010, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Can't be true, unemployment is heading south of 5% so it must be harder being unemployed.
Yes but what is the state by stae & city by city breakdown on that? There has to be regional variation & as we all well know, figures from the govt are as skewed as they want them to be!
Old May 15th 2010, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

Keep positive,

It took me three months and over 300 job applications to get my job, and then I ended up getting a job offer from two companies in the same week....so good things do happen then just take a bloody long time
Old May 15th 2010, 1:05 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chelly77
It took me three months and over 300 job applications to get my job
I wonder if you tailored your CV for each application?
Old May 15th 2010, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all

I am sure you will be ok-give it some time

Let me share something with you-different country though-

Fresh out of college-after getting my Master's (another state) I flew to Los Angeles to join my first job-all expenses paid for by the new company. Really excited I went first day-not thinking what was coming my way. The first day of my job I was laid-off. Company was closing and they were sorry about my timing

Now California has special rules about compensation in a layoff. They got away as I never had got on their roster. So, I had already rented an apartment with a 1 yr lease, got a rental car for a month, bought business casuals. I sat there in the parking area thinking what to do. As any cash strapped college student I did not have more than a few hundred in my account. Could not call Mom/Dad and tell them I in desparate need of help-it will freak them out even more.

Then out of no-where 2 days later I got a call for a govt job-I had applied 4 months ago. That was my most inportant call-I had to get thet job Eventually I did

So-good things will happen-just wait-you will surely get a job. A good one.
Old May 15th 2010, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that BD. It gets more difficult the older you get too so hang in there and for you that you find someone who is going to value maturity and experience.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I hope a job turns up for you soon....from what others say, 20 applications is not that many. You hear of people sending 100s of applications and getting nothing.

Make sure when you apply, you are tailoring you cover letter and CV to that specific job so that it showcases your skills in the best light every single time.

Love

Rudi
x
Old May 16th 2010, 1:35 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Is that ping ponging on your CV because I would be hesitant to hire you if I thought you where going to up sticks in a year?

Plus 6 weeks is not long , hang in there.
Old May 16th 2010, 5:23 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Zambia
Is that ping ponging on your CV because I would be hesitant to hire you if I thought you where going to up sticks in a year?

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the first post and noticed the posters history in the signature.

I debated about commenting on it until I saw your comment!

Assuming the OP was employed each time they moved then employers would have to notice the back and forth. I would also be hesitant in hiring in that scenario.
Old May 16th 2010, 5:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Zambia

I only have my latest ping pong on my C.V. The last one was in 1986 so not really relevant.

Since I came back in 1987 I have had 2 long term jobs, 1 for 10 years and my last which I left in Feb. 2009 to ping pong again was for 8 years plus.

Thanks, still hanging in there LOL!!
Old May 16th 2010, 6:02 am
Home Sweet Home

Thanks for all your feedback, it is very much appreciated.

I know 6 weeks is not long but it is soooo boring being home all day when you are used to working.

Chelly - 3 months and over 100 applications. Whoa that's a bit scary LOL!!

Coolshadows, Rudy and others - yes I am going to have a look at tailoring the C.V. and cover letter each time to suit the job more.

scaria197 - wow that was a tough one for you. Luckily I am living with my daughter and her family until I get on my feet. I was going to go looking for an apartment this week but am a bit worried in case it takes a LONG time to get a job and my savings dwindle down to zilch. Good for you on getting the good job!

Quoll - yes looking for an employer who values maturity and experience over a young dolly bird LOL!!

I have mainly gone for jobs in either the Government sector or University jobs and so forth, so I know the procedure takes longer than just getting any old job out of the local rag.

I want a job that I can stick at until I drop off this mortal coil.........so a few more weeks won't kill me, just going a bit doo lally today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.