Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:45 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
My DH works in a niche area of IT
is there such a thing?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
is there such a thing?
So he says... Never quite understood what he does really but hey, it pays the mortgage!!!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
I'd say it's a little less than that. We get about $1,800/week after tax on I think $146k. There is a yearly bonus though, which gets us over the dreaded $150k of means tested family and childcare benefits
one of my friends from university is working in sydney; he is on $110k pa and he says he takes home $6600 or $1650 a week.

im sure we will be nice and comfortable. we're just looking forward to being able to spend quality time with our daughter and any more that come along.

i work on the Railway in the UK so tend to work most weekends (saturday nights ) - but there wont be any to do in OZ, so we can actually have weekends off together
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
My concern is that taxes will get higher here, someone has to pay for the GFC stimulous handouts. Also there was a recent report that Aussie taxes are in the bottom 3rd of the developed world so plenty of room to bump them up. The Henry Tax Review will be released shortly, we'll get more of an idea what the Govt will do re tax issues.
This is very much what concerns us too. Having to pay heavily for the GFC handouts (that partly caused the crazy rise in house prices) and don't forget the potential use of taxpayers money to bail out banks that have a heavy concentration in residential mortgages....

Any idea when the Henry Tax Review is going to be made available for public consumption?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by IndieG
This is very much what concerns us too. Having to pay heavily for the GFC handouts (that partly caused the crazy rise in house prices) and don't forget the potential use of taxpayers money to bail out banks that have a heavy concentration in residential mortgages....

Any idea when the Henry Tax Review is going to be made available for public consumption?

Which country are you talking about here? The UK is going to be in for massive tax rises after May to pay for all the prolific spending labour have been doing, Australian's Labor spending is minute in comparison. I know where i'd rather be.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

You all sound quite rich based on the figures you've been throwing around here, both UK and Aus salaries. If you're not happy with it then I suspect you won't find happiness here in Aus either as the average wage is much less, and there is a lot of us in 'average land'.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:43 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
You all sound quite rich based on the figures you've been throwing around here, both UK and Aus salaries. If you're not happy with it then I suspect you won't find happiness here in Aus either as the average wage is much less, and there is a lot of us in 'average land'.
It not necessary how much you earn, but whether your earnings are drastically affected by migrating here.

Another thing is whether your working hours improve or not. I used to work 4 days a week, doing 37 hours. I now work 5 day and do 40+ hours (though I'm still hoping they'll let me condense my hours and do 4 days )
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:43 am
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all

Thank you all for the taking the time to respond.
We are coming to Brisbane for a different lifestyle and we are not expecting to be any better off than we are in the uk, however I don't want to compromise too much on the income that we recieve due to the freedom and security that a decent income gives us in being able to save for a rainy day and the good things in life (holidays).

I am currently a Senior Nurse / Manager in the NHS and my hubby is a mechanical fitter by trade with a degree in manufacturing systems engineering with several years experience in maintenance planning and improvement. Looking at the figures quoted by various posters for a nice lifestyle and the salaries on offer, I am quite confident that we will both get jobs that will take us to a combined salary of circa $180k and give us a lifestyle that we will be more than happy with.

The cost of housing does concern me though. The exchange rate has been a bummer for us in terms of housing and our deposit, but we are not in a rush to buy as we want to get settled in jobs and find an area that we really like.

Thanks for all of your responses.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:50 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Having read this lot.... I think I need a payrise.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Having read this lot.... I think I need a payrise.
I was just thinking exactly the same thing!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjj
I am currently a Senior Nurse / Manager in the NHS and my hubby is a mechanical fitter by trade with a degree in manufacturing systems engineering with several years experience in maintenance planning and improvement.
Unless you have already been offered a job as a senior nurse manager then don't assume you will get one here.

Many nurses from overseas will only be offered a level 1 job unless they have applied for and been offered a senior post.

You will not automatically walk into a similar job to the one you have in England.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Which country are you talking about here? The UK is going to be in for massive tax rises after May to pay for all the prolific spending labour have been doing, Australian's Labor spending is minute in comparison. I know where i'd rather be.
Australia. I haven't paid any income tax since 1996 (the joys of previously working in a tax-free country)
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:07 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by IndieG
Australia. I haven't paid any income tax since 1996 (the joys of previously working in a tax-free country)
you're not a conservative are you? you and your tax havens.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

It's not just me that finds Brisbane expensive then! For a 4 bedroomed house near-ish to the city you can easily pay $600-700 per week. We're paying that for a townhouse. Food is loads more expensive, (no Tesco two for ones), clothes much more expensive and don't get me started about travel/holidays if you actually want to leave Oz for any reason....

We love the climate, and the outdoors lifestyle, but you need a seriously big wage to live the dream of house with pool, boat, two cars etc. Our combined income is $150K, kids in state school, one small car and one holiday per year. Sorry if that sounds a lot of $, but theres not much left over at the end of the Month, and we can only dream about buying a house.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:12 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Our combined income is a little more than $100,000 so from what people are saying we must be pretty much living just above the poverty line !!!!

We have a $200,000 mortgage, and approx $25,000 outstanding on car loans.
We don't have any other debt, apart from the usual household bills / rego etc and we live a complete and happy life.

We live in a 4 bed house with pool on a quarter acre block, in a nice suburb, yes we did put $160,000 deposit down on the house, that was nearly all our savings from our UK house sale.

We save a little every week, and have a great social life (eating out / entertaining etc). We may be fortunate, but i like to think we are sensible and have never tried to live beyond our means.

Oh by the way my missus works part time....Wonder what we could do with $200,000 pa !!!!!!!!!!
You are very fortunate ! I'm almost certain that you moved to Australia between 2000 and 2003... am I right or wrong?

It would be interesting if you could rewrite your post from the perspective of someone who just moved here 2months ago.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.