British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-aud-salary-would-give-me-lifestyle-equivalent-uk-%C2%A375k-663813/)

kjj Apr 13th 2010 1:31 pm

What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

As the question says. How much would my hubby and I need to earn between us to buy us a lifestyle in the greater Brisbane Area (40km radius of CBD) that is equivalent to the lifestyle that we have in the North West of England on a combined gross salary of approx £75k per year.

coolshadows Apr 13th 2010 1:36 pm

Re: What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

Originally Posted by kjj (Post 8492800)
As the question says. How much would my hubby and I need to earn between us to buy us a lifestyle in the greater Brisbane Area (40km radius of CBD) that is equivalent to the lifestyle that we have in the North West of England on a combined gross salary of approx £75k per year.

I'd say multiply it by 2.5, so about $187k. That is only a rough estimate though.

Rod-Helen-Poppy Apr 13th 2010 1:41 pm

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

why 2.5?

coolshadows Apr 13th 2010 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy (Post 8492821)

why 2.5?

That's only my personal view. I'm currently earning about 2.3 times and i feel it's not as much as I was on in the UK (and I was running a 6 berth motorhome most weekends there!)

Like I say it's just a rough estimate, but i certainly wouldn't use the current exchange rate. I think a multiplier of between 2.2 and 2.5 is nearer (with my view that 2.5 is more accurate).

I guess lets see what other people think. :)

kporte Apr 13th 2010 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by coolshadows (Post 8492843)
That's only my personal view. I'm currently earning about 2.3 times and i feel it's not as much as I was on in the UK (and I was running a 6 berth motorhome most weekends there!)

Like I say it's just a rough estimate, but i certainly wouldn't use the current exchange rate. I think a multiplier of between 2.2 and 2.5 is nearer (with my view that 2.5 is more accurate).

I guess lets see what other people think. :)

yeah, that seems reasonable. I'd say about 180k is a fair guess.

coolshadows Apr 13th 2010 2:05 pm

I'd like to add that £75k income is relatively less the further down the UK you go. :rofl:

Being from the North-West also, I think my estimate is pretty good. Obviously if you are living on that income in London, your standard of living will be less (so therefore the multiplier will be less).

Hope that makes sense. :blink:

Bermudashorts Apr 13th 2010 2:11 pm

Mmm interesting. My husband and I have been making enquiries and it seems like we could aim for salaries around 1.8 possibly 2 x current earnings but well below 2.5 times.

EvannTel Apr 13th 2010 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8492884)
Mmm interesting. My husband and I have been making enquiries and it seems like we could aim for salaries around 1.8 possibly 2 x current earnings but well below 2.5 times.

Which is why I guess so many on here find Oz very expensive!

Weebie Apr 13th 2010 2:19 pm

How much can you put on a downpayment on your house? That's the fundamental reason that affects lifestyle

Rod-Helen-Poppy Apr 13th 2010 3:18 pm

the salary for the job i have been offered is approx 2.3 times what i would be earning in the UK and approx 1.8 times our joint income.

we live quite well here and are comfortable with that; i cant see any reason why we shouldnt be atleast as comfortable - if not slightly better - when we arrive in oz. i hope my spectacles dont have a rose tint to them :confused:

we will rent for a few years i think and save up to put as big a deposit down as we can muster when/if we decide to buy.

Bermudashorts Apr 13th 2010 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by coolshadows (Post 8492876)
I'd like to add that £75k income is relatively less the further down the UK you go. :rofl:

Being from the North-West also, I think my estimate is pretty good. Obviously if you are living on that income in London, your standard of living will be less (so therefore the multiplier will be less).

Hope that makes sense. :blink:

Yes very true, that is what I was thinking. So our 1.8 ~ 2 times is probably reasonable as we live in the SE and commute into London.

Satch_Boogie Apr 13th 2010 8:17 pm

Makes you wonder how all the people manage to survive considering the national average wages are well less than that.

Grayling Apr 13th 2010 8:30 pm

The cost of housing in Brisbane is far higher than in the North West of the UK*.

*Cue the spin doctor's to tell us that you can buy a house within a few days commute of Brisbane for less than the average packet of cereal in the UK:lol:

4500 Times Apr 13th 2010 9:07 pm

QUOTE=Grayling;8493661]The cost of housing in Brisbane is far higher than in the North West of the UK*.

*Cue the spin doctor's to tell us that you can buy a house within a few days commute of Brisbane for less than the average packet of cereal in the UK:lol:[/QUOTE]

:confused: Thats a bit of a sweeping statement.

TrickyTree Apr 13th 2010 9:32 pm

Its probably not far off the mark I earn 2 x my UK salary and would definitely say I had more disposable cash back home.

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy (Post 8492821)

why 2.5?