Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:58 am
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of
Default Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Anyone on the April intake want to talk about their travel/arrival in oz plans, accommodation issues - any other of the fine details we've all been dealing with ?

I've just had a stroke of luck - found a 4x2 in Port kennedy for 450 a week until november with a car thrown in I'll be moving in on April the 11th so for the last week of the induction I'll commute to HQ from the house. Looking at flying over around the 26th to sort out bank, driving licence, medicare etc but still need a sofa to kip on near Belmont for a couple of weeks until the 11th.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:03 am
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hater
When they hire you as AO you for sure do the "AO"-Time as they tell you. It is extremly unlikely that there will be a shortcut.
No worries,
I thought it might go quicker because on the stuff they sent I read it as 'up to a year depending on experience blah blah' a years will go by quick enough anyway so not a problem - Glad to be going at all
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Faith1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Hi I'm new to this forum but have been looking on it weekly as I am in the process of applying to western Australian ambulance service as a paramedic and have found this thread to be a god send at times with the info people have posted.

Question I've been told that I've been successful with my application and have been offered a AP1 post however is was over the phone, I was expecting a confirmation email but haven't received one if it wasn't for my husband being nxt to me when I got the call I would have thought it was yet another one of my dreams! lol I've emailed them to confirm but as Australia day no reply as yet. Has anyone else had this experience. Of you who have done the visa application how does it happen do they send you the correct forms or do you have to get them?????

It's great to hear so many people being successful well done. I was given the option of April June or end of july intake. I asked for July as got a house to sell kids school and husband handing his notice in ect. Family not taking it very well!!!!!! anyone else aiming for July?

Also does anyone know were the jobs are were looking bunbury way after initial training ect

Be great to hear from anyone who can answer these questions.
Be great to hear form any of you regular
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Zuluman7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Faith1

Congratulation on the Job offer that is normal your contract will follow shortly. I think we have all had the early morning call when your still half asleep, the contract can take a couple of days/weeks to arrive via email.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

rascal13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twinsdad
Hiya

Yep I'm in the same boat as you - got my bag in '94 and still on the register but left the nhs 6 yrs ago, since then done all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff i.e. worked in Afghanistan, Saudi, Pakistan, done contract work as 999 responder for trusts, ops management and police medic. To be honest I'm chilled about starting as AO2 and getting my bag back within a year as it'll give me time to get back up to speed working on a truck. I'm actually thinking it isn't going to take 12 months but need to talk to training and see how quickly the revision/upgrade can be done.
Yes I was thinking the same about doing it quicker if poss, but happy to do the year if thats the case. If we are under supervision I presume we can do most things. I'm still waiting for me contract, but when I get it was thinking of heading out 2 or so weeks before start date get my stuff together. I have a mate who offered to put me up for the first few days then I will also be on the hunt for a room. Don't think the bank balance will go to a house just yet.

I start doing agency 999 responding tommorrow myself, my first dip into the private sector, anything i should watch out for?

Anyone who has already made the move, any tips on good places to daty near the city. I was going to try and get near fremantle, mate lives in hilton.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

As far as I am aware the jobs are for Perth Metro, Relief shifts on a 8 week cycle but I may be wrong.

Last edited by Zuluman7; Jan 26th 2012 at 10:07 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:56 pm
Perth WA

Originally Posted by rascal13
Yes I was thinking the same about doing it quicker if poss, but happy to do the year if thats the case. If we are under supervision I presume we can do most things. I'm still waiting for me contract, but when I get it was thinking of heading out 2 or so weeks before start date get my stuff together. I have a mate who offered to put me up for the first few days then I will also be on the hunt for a room. Don't think the bank balance will go to a house just yet.

I start doing agency 999 responding tommorrow myself, my first dip into the private sector, anything i should watch out for?

Anyone who has already made the move, any tips on good places to daty near the city. I was going to try and get near fremantle, mate lives in hilton.
In the private sector you'll get a broad mix - ex and current NHS and some people with 'alternative' pathway qualifications and experience (i.e. ex military) Nowadays trusts employing contractors make the companies jump through a lot of hoops before they let 'private' staff respond to calls. As someone who has worked for both nhs and private (mostly nhs), there are good and bad companies out there, just like there are good and bad trusts. Difficult to generalise really , there are good and bad staff in both nhs and private sector. Just do the right thing and don't nick all the biscuits and pay in to the tea fund and you'll be fine
Old Jan 26th 2012, 11:00 pm
Perth WA

Originally Posted by Zuluman7
????
Old Jan 27th 2012, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Twinsdad
????
Lol sorry that was the baby did not see that
Old Jan 27th 2012, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Visa granted
Old Jan 27th 2012, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzforJD
Hi all, great thread, very informative, read the whole thing.

Couple of questions I had that haven't been covered yet. I'm applying as a Tech (EMT II 4 years on road), for the interview does anyone know if they limit their questions to our scope of practice or will be tested on our experiencial knowledge of paramedic practice?

Also for those of you out there already, income tax, roughly equivalent to UK?

And finally, rental property, mortgage's, credit cards, car finance.How do expats go on with such things that normally require credit history checks?

Thanks and good luck to all

JD
Hi JD,

Don't worry too much about credit and financial history. When I arrived last March, I had opened an ANZ account online from the UK, then transferred all my money via TorFX, so it was ready when I arrived here. For a rental property, they require a 100 point check, your passport is worth virtually all those points, I used my UK driving licence, UK credit card, UK mortgage statement and UK bank statement as proof of financial history, which they all seemed happy with here. Still have my LloydsTSB account and credit card!
As for car finance, bought outright with money from the sale of my trusty Seat Leon (which I miss!), but you can get car finance here on a 457 visa, you just have to take it out over the duration of your visa length, usually 2 yrs. Income tax is virtually same as UK, but no N.I deductions here, and you can salary package, which means you pay less tax!

Hope this help,

Phil
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Faith1
Hi I'm new to this forum but have been looking on it weekly as I am in the process of applying to western Australian ambulance service as a paramedic and have found this thread to be a god send at times with the info people have posted.

Question I've been told that I've been successful with my application and have been offered a AP1 post however is was over the phone, I was expecting a confirmation email but haven't received one if it wasn't for my husband being nxt to me when I got the call I would have thought it was yet another one of my dreams! lol I've emailed them to confirm but as Australia day no reply as yet. Has anyone else had this experience. Of you who have done the visa application how does it happen do they send you the correct forms or do you have to get them?????

It's great to hear so many people being successful well done. I was given the option of April June or end of july intake. I asked for July as got a house to sell kids school and husband handing his notice in ect. Family not taking it very well!!!!!! anyone else aiming for July?

Also does anyone know were the jobs are were looking bunbury way after initial training ect

Be great to hear from anyone who can answer these questions.
Be great to hear form any of you regular
Hi, everyone who's a Para gets offered AP1 initially, then when you've finished your 3-4 week direct entry course you can apply to be AP 2 or 3 dependant on your length, and ability to prove your length of service outside Oz as a Para. A letter from your HR dept will do the trick, as long as it states your start date, finish date and states continuous length of service between these dates.

Visa forms you will have to download, but the agent assigned to you will let you know what forms you need, and the docs that require certification to go with them.

After initial direct entry course and an 8 week roster as a probationer, you'll go on the road as a Paramedic in the Metro area (covers Two Rocks in the North down to Mandurah in the South and as far East as Mundaring), and you will have to apply for a country posting if you want Bunbury or anywhere else out of the Metro area.

hope that helps,

Phil
Old Jan 27th 2012, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Kateve is an unknown quantity at this point

How many years continuous service for an AP3 is it?
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

7yrs continuous service as a para for AP3, 5yrs for AP2 I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.