Water shortage

Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:45 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all
Default Re: Water shortage

So let me think......You want no water restrictions, leave your sprinklers on all day less traffic, great beaches, small seaside town community, local drinking hole on the beach....so you can watch the sun go down with a drink in your hand, safe for kids, great restaurants and be 15mins from the goldcoast.....etc,etc,etc.....it's easy.........kingscliff.....

all the best plumb....
Old Aug 25th 2007, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

KangaRay is an unknown quantity at this point

I undertand Brisbane has had a reasonable week of rain - nothing too heavy but it has fallen in the right places and the dam levels whilst nowhere near being full have received enough rain to boost the overall usage by a few months. i.e. rather than supplies running out in 15 months they are now 18 months (just using these as an example) or hopefully more as the rains will continue over the weekend.

The multi billion dollar water grid will be up and running in a years time - this means the dams will be continually supplemented from recycled water (Just like the UK), desalination plant water and whatever additional water mother nature provides…. The good thing about any amount of rain is the household water tanks all get topped up - the gardens and golf courses get a good soaking etc etc.

KangaRay
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:07 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Record rainfalls yet only a 1% increase in dam levels, just how much will it have to rain to make dams viable in S.E Qld?
If 200mm [average falls] cannot replenish dwindling stocks one may think that the time has come to explore other more viable options.
I'm hoping the measly 1% will increase as the rainfall & subsequent runoff continue
....there were no record rainfalls in the dam catchment....Somerset Dam did OK and when the figures get updated tomorrow morning will probably show some reasonable inflows. Wivenhoe dam catchment, the really important one, got 25mm during the same period when the Sunshine Coast was being inundated (Rainbow Beach - 24hrs - 713mm!!!)

As for the water grid and it saving the day....don't really think this is the case....the combined inflows from de-sal and recycled water pipelines are a fraction of what get's drawn out of the dam every day.....the water grid just slows the gradual emptying of the dam.

What I think is more worrying in where the dam levels will be when this infrastructure comes on line. The govt is banking on 5% but has already stated that the system is viable down to the last 1% . Hmmm, funny then that North Pine dam has been taken off line at 13% because of water quality issues. Wivenhoe at 15% is also being maintained at close to that level and all the water is being sourced from Somerset which is (was) dropping fast.

The problem with nearly empty dams is the water is shallow and sits in pools, heats up quickly in the summer, evaporates more quickly and is prone to algal blooms - then you can't drink it!

Water grid or not I still believe that if this coming storm season is a non event as the previous 3 have been then SE Qld will have big problems - the decision to delay the introduction of Level 6 restrictions on the basis of a few days of rain is IMO madness.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Smilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really nice

[Water grid or not I still believe that if this coming storm season is a non event as the previous 3 have been then SE Qld will have big problems - the decision to delay the introduction of Level 6 restrictions on the basis of a few days of rain is IMO madness.[/QUOTE]

It has been interesting to see the differing views of so many people but we still feel that despite the cost, waiting just a little longer is the sensible thing to do. The last thing the area needs is more people going out and using what little water there is and we feel that we are doing the best for Australia as well as ourselves by waiting.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:46 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smilz
It has been interesting to see the differing views of so many people but we still feel that despite the cost, waiting just a little longer is the sensible thing to do. The last thing the area needs is more people going out and using what little water there is and we feel that we are doing the best for Australia as well as ourselves by waiting.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
Good onya, a very unselfish and community-minded attitude you have there.

Keep 'em peeled on the BOM site and we look forward to welcoming you soon.

If you could wait until the health 'crisis' is sorted and the North/South Bypass Tunnel is completed then we'd be much obliged too.

Meanwhile, back on the ranch ... it's a 'kin gorgeous day out there ...
Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:12 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Good onya, a very unselfish and community-minded attitude you have there.

Keep 'em peeled on the BOM site and we look forward to welcoming you soon.

If you could wait until the health 'crisis' is sorted and the North/South Bypass Tunnel is completed then we'd be much obliged too.

Meanwhile, back on the ranch ... it's a 'kin gorgeous day out there ...
You forgot the council mergers
Old Aug 26th 2007, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by cresta57
You forgot the council mergers
Ah yeh, Herr Beattie's Master Plan ... good point ... who knows what rates we'll pay next year? Better get our free trees too or there'll be an uproar ... well, a stiffly-worded letter to the local rag anyway.

And let's all get that reconcilliation thing moving pronto too.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 4:18 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Got some water run off in our garden, not seen water in the creek for a while
Attached Thumbnails Water shortage-p8252602s.jpg  
Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

dave1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

lets hope the recent rain has helped
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:01 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave1971
lets hope the recent rain has helped
Somerset Dam is showing nearly +10% to 9am yesterday....thats probably a good 3 months extra water supply.

Poor old Wivenhoe missed out as usual.

http://www.seqwater.com.au/content/s...andMaintenance
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:16 pm

Hi to everyone this is my first post.

I have been looking to moving my family to Queensland for some time now and in fact nearly took the plunge.....BUT Brisbane went to level five water restrictions and we decided not to proceed any further until the situation eased.

What with the Murry Darling basin nearly dry and farmers going out of business, the thought that electricity generators will have to cut back their water usage therefore cut back on the amount of electicity the produce and with Mr Howard suggesting that the best course of action is for all austalians to pray I cannot for the life of me see why people are still migrating.

Working on the principle that humans need air,food and water to live why move to a drought area when one of those is due to run out?

Have I made a mistake - I dont think so as it was on the BBC not so long ago and there is loads on the net if u look for it e.g.

http://www.greenleft.org.au/2007/711/36915

So my question is why are people moving in droves to a potential disaster area.

I really dont mean to upset anyone its just that I just wonder why everyone seems to be ignoring the facts.
Just letting you know that it's raining now, book the flights.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Smilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really nice

Just letting you know that it's raining now, book the flights.

Cheers,
Matt
Strewth mate we're on the way,

Seriously though, we are soooo glad we stopped to think as we were coming out on a 457, o/h had job lined up in the health sector and we were on a wild rollercoaster. We are now applying for permanent res cause if we are going to live in Australia we want to do it properly. I hate to think what other half would be like if she hated the job but couldnt change or leave as she was tied to the employer. By the time we arrive water should have sorted itself out and those in power should have made plans for the future. I have been waiting 20 years to make the move so a few more months will not make a difference. The family are really looking forward to living in Aus and cannot get enough of reading and watching documentarys etc sometimes I get the feeling they know more about Australia then England. Again thanks for comments and please keep us informed of things as they happen _ Chris (-:
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:07 am

Strewth mate we're on the way,

Seriously though, we are soooo glad we stopped to think as we were coming out on a 457, o/h had job lined up in the health sector and we were on a wild rollercoaster. We are now applying for permanent res cause if we are going to live in Australia we want to do it properly. I hate to think what other half would be like if she hated the job but couldnt change or leave as she was tied to the employer. By the time we arrive water should have sorted itself out and those in power should have made plans for the future. I have been waiting 20 years to make the move so a few more months will not make a difference. The family are really looking forward to living in Aus and cannot get enough of reading and watching documentarys etc sometimes I get the feeling they know more about Australia then England. Again thanks for comments and please keep us informed of things as they happen _ Chris (-:
Raining shedloads today Chris, it'll be fine once you get here
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Raining shedloads today Chris, it'll be fine once you get here
Did you swim home from work tonight Vim?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by rabsody
Did you swim home from work tonight Vim?
Still at work, plan to visit The Valley abandoned due to dampness in the air, going back on the train now ... will grab some booze and chill-out listening to the rain on our roof ... mmmmarvellous.