Water shortage

Old May 28th 2007, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Smilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really nice
Default Water shortage

Hi to everyone this is my first post.

I have been looking to moving my family to Queensland for some time now and in fact nearly took the plunge.....BUT Brisbane went to level five water restrictions and we decided not to proceed any further until the situation eased.

What with the Murry Darling basin nearly dry and farmers going out of business, the thought that electricity generators will have to cut back their water usage therefore cut back on the amount of electicity the produce and with Mr Howard suggesting that the best course of action is for all austalians to pray I cannot for the life of me see why people are still migrating.

Working on the principle that humans need air,food and water to live why move to a drought area when one of those is due to run out?

Have I made a mistake - I dont think so as it was on the BBC not so long ago and there is loads on the net if u look for it e.g.

http://www.greenleft.org.au/2007/711/36915

So my question is why are people moving in droves to a potential disaster area.

I really dont mean to upset anyone its just that I just wonder why everyone seems to be ignoring the facts.
Old May 28th 2007, 10:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water shortage

Originally Posted by Smilz
...........I cannot for the life of me see why people are still migrating................
I don't see why people are migrating either but thats got nothing to do with water.
Old May 28th 2007, 10:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

All jokes aside - good thread here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441205

Last edited by Pollyana; May 28th 2007 at 10:28 am.
Old May 28th 2007, 10:22 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I have been looking to moving my family to Queensland for some time now and in fact nearly took the plunge.....BUT Brisbane went to level five water restrictions and we decided not to proceed any further until the situation eased.

What with the Murry Darling basin nearly dry and farmers going out of business, the thought that electricity generators will have to cut back their water usage therefore cut back on the amount of electicity the produce and with Mr Howard suggesting that the best course of action is for all austalians to pray I cannot for the life of me see why people are still migrating.

Working on the principle that humans need air,food and water to live why move to a drought area when one of those is due to run out?

Have I made a mistake - I dont think so as it was on the BBC not so long ago and there is loads on the net if u look for it e.g.

I really dont mean to upset anyone its just that I just wonder why everyone seems to be ignoring the facts.
Seeing that most of the rest of the country is on similar or worse water restirctions, it kinds of limits your choice, doesn't it
Old May 28th 2007, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No fear, we drink beer here instead
Old May 28th 2007, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Ironic but most are moving for a better climate ummm

Level 6 being talked on news tonight, thats no outside water usage not even by bucket.
Old May 28th 2007, 11:51 am
Just Joined

armorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nice

I have to agree - I don't think people should migrate here ...

But nothing to do with water ... more to do with the fact that migrants are pushing up the price of houses!

Please stop coming!!!!
.... or at least until I've bought a house!

On a serious note, the drought isn't Australia wide - although there will certainly be knock-on effects to the economy as a whole if things get worse. We live on the Sunshine Coast - our area hasn't as yet been placed on any water-restrictions whatsoever - our dam is full.

The thing to bear in mind is that it's well documented that Australia has a 7 year - flood -> drought cycle. We just happen to be having the driest of dry periods at the moment.

We migrated in February and aren't at all worried (yet)

Andy

Old May 28th 2007, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by armorris007

We live on the Sunshine Coast - our area hasn't as yet been placed on any water-restrictions whatsoever - our dam is full.

Andy
July 1 level 2, expected to go to level 5/6 (or whatever brisbane will be on by then) as soon as whatever proposed water sharing scheme for se qld gets passed. Gold coast has pretty full dams too, theve had water restricions for at least a year, with brisbane the way it is, the water on the coasts will be shared one way or another.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

devilishdean will become famous soon enoughdevilishdean will become famous soon enough

no water problems here on the sunshine coast. I washed me bike and the car at the weekend. And it rains most days for a hour or so. Perhaps you should try it up here its great.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by devilishdean
no water problems here on the sunshine coast. I washed me bike and the car at the weekend. And it rains most days for a hour or so. Perhaps you should try it up here its great.
Beattie declared us a drought region last week, level 2 july one, level 5/6 to follow.
Old May 28th 2007, 1:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If there's anyone on here in SEQLD who still waters their gardens or plants and they are in the Level 5 area, could they please explain to me exactly why they need to water their plants (unless you're using grey water, in which case I don't care).

It really winds me up that people will happily get their buckets of drinking water on their bloody flowers whilst knowing we will run out fairly soon:curse:
Old May 28th 2007, 1:23 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

What is the highest level of water restriction and what will happen when and if you get to this level?? C x
Old May 28th 2007, 1:47 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Our water storage levels are now 28.8% - yet we are still on Level 3a - even though the trigger point for level 4 is 29.3%...I realise they look at the season we are coming into, but seeing as we had a very dry winter last year, and this time last year we had 44.6% of water, it makes you wonder.

Like everyone who is hit by drought, lets hope we have weeks and weeks of torrential rain before Spring.
Old May 28th 2007, 2:03 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

If it stops more people from going over thats good for us as they'll be more water to go round
Old May 28th 2007, 3:02 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shiels
What is the highest level of water restriction and what will happen when and if you get to this level?? C x
No one knows what the highest level of water restriction is. For example they have never had level 6 water restrictions before. So when the situation worsens they introduce tighter controls which are defined in relation to the severity of the problem and up the level accordingly.

We live north of Brisbane currently under level 5. I personally think it is a temporary blip that may last a few years but am not unduly worried for the long term.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.