Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under starts again...

Wanted Down Under starts again...

Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wanted Down Under starts again...

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
And they always choose the detritus of society. Actually that's an insult to the detritus of society - they always go for the average Joe who is as ill-equipped for life as I am to drive to the moon.

(No surprise there then).
A bit harsh
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Robbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really nice

What makes me laugh is that everyone on the programme does not have a mortgage and they always say this is how much they have to spend I just wish they would show more of the areas ect would be more interesting to know if they had a visa already or not and if they made the move in the end
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And they always choose the detritus of society. Actually that's an insult to the detritus of society - they always go for the average Joe who is as ill-equipped for life as I am to drive to the moon.

I hope none of our members who have appeared on these shows come across that post
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Robbie37Michelle32
What makes me laugh is that everyone on the programme does not have a mortgage and they always say this is how much they have to spend I just wish they would show more of the areas ect would be more interesting to know if they had a visa already or not and if they made the move in the end
I think they deliberately choose folk who have not done all their research etc so they 'shock' of what they find is greater.

Also all three featured so far have had teenagers. It's always going to be very hard indeed to convince a teenager to give up on the friends they have at home and start again. But can make better TV
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Total shite. They pick people who are up for the challenge of moving lock stock and barrel to the other side of the world. They then edit them to within an inch of their lives. No doubt if you'd been picked to do this show (obviously you wouldn't, you'd be heading for moon, you'd look like detritus.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Total shite. They pick people who are up for the challenge of moving lock stock and barrel to the other side of the world. They then edit them to within an inch of their lives. No doubt if you'd been picked to do this show (obviously you wouldn't, you'd be heading for moon, you'd look like detritus.
...but they pick people who they believe are editable..and can be channelled by a production team. In a manner of speaking - some people would be considered good fits for certain TV programming. It's the same with another show I have been watching of late - about moving.

(For other scenarios - there is such a thing as media presentation and it can be practised. It's hard work at the best of times!)
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

mattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to all

Hi all

Just to say a few things about the Wanted Down Under programme currently airing. It seems a mixed response, so I would like to add a few comments..

We are the Wells Family and we are on the show 14th January - next Friday 9.15. I have my own business which is relocating to Australia which you will see next week.

The main issue is that we went through 10 full days of filming for just 45 mins airing - of which Nicky Chapman munches up half with her lines. This means that a lot of what is coming over is taken out of context regularly. We were scripted to within an inch of our sanity and you do have to realise that you are making a programme for the BBC - not really for yourselves. An 8 minute conversation from me to camera for instance, will be just 5 seconds what they want to show!!!!

That said, we enjoyed our experience in Brisbane. It had no bearing on our decision, and the Beeb will try and get across what they want as variety before your preference. It was hard week - not a free holiday - as some think. After a 27 hour flight with two young children, we were more or less taken to an island to shoot the lifestyle section straight away - tough with jetlag - especially the kids. We only had our flights and basic accommodation payed up - we footed all else, including petrol to our work, houses etc.

Finally, they get 100+ applicants a day for the show - so they do really vet. Some families clearly are a little vague and its just a dream, but for most of us it was to make a TV show and another notch in our life CV.

Take Care all ... and enjoy the series!!!!

Simon - Wells family
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattbenecci
Hi all

Just to say a few things about the Wanted Down Under programme currently airing. It seems a mixed response, so I would like to add a few comments..

We are the Wells Family and we are on the show 14th January - next Friday 9.15. I have my own business which is relocating to Australia which you will see next week.

The main issue is that we went through 10 full days of filming for just 45 mins airing - of which Nicky Chapman munches up half with her lines. This means that a lot of what is coming over is taken out of context regularly. We were scripted to within an inch of our sanity and you do have to realise that you are making a programme for the BBC - not really for yourselves. An 8 minute conversation from me to camera for instance, will be just 5 seconds what they want to show!!!!

That said, we enjoyed our experience in Brisbane. It had no bearing on our decision, and the Beeb will try and get across what they want as variety before your preference. It was hard week - not a free holiday - as some think. After a 27 hour flight with two young children, we were more or less taken to an island to shoot the lifestyle section straight away - tough with jetlag - especially the kids. We only had our flights and basic accommodation payed up - we footed all else, including petrol to our work, houses etc.

Finally, they get 100+ applicants a day for the show - so they do really vet. Some families clearly are a little vague and its just a dream, but for most of us it was to make a TV show and another notch in our life CV.

Simon - Wells family
Good luck - hope you are reasonably happy with the editing of the programme We've had several families on the forum in the past who have appeared on this or similar programmes with varying degrees of success - and of satisfaction with the way they've been portrayed! Its certainly not something I'd fancy doing, but thankfully we aren't all the same!! I'm currently spending a lot of my time avoiding TV cameras as they are filming in our office a lot and I hate it. Got a smile out of this morning's shooting though as the presenter has just turned up with jetlag and is really struggling to make herself look desirable and to string 10 words together
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

mattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to all

What kind of sweeping comment is that. I find that so offensive.I am on the show next week and I take it that my family and I are the 'detrius of society' that you spout about. I have had my own business for 20 years, employ 8 staff and have done a lot of research and trips to Australia to weigh up my move. We applied for the show and was accepted as we were deemed to be a little different/maverick to the normal.

I would like to know why you choose to make a filthy statement against those you have never met or will ever know.

Outstandingly poor - is that the best you can do.

Simon - Wells Family
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:13 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You beat me to it!
It's all about the editing.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Hi all

Simon - Wells family
Thanks for your post Simon. Interesting insight into the background to the show. I look forward to seeing your episode next week. Good luck with the move.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Simon - Wells family
Funny they took you to an island to film the brisbane lifestyle segment

People do need to remember its a lot about photography too when they filmed our area the houses and general area they shot were the 3 million buck homes, naturally they looked 'lovely'.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Davesax
Why don't they tell you the house prices in dollars!! When was it filmed? - please let us do the maths, at the exchange rate as it is when it goes to air , because at the moment those prices in dollars aint gonna seem very attractive!
Because its geared up for an audience in the UK who have no interest in Dollars

In the first episode the exchange rate was 1.7 where as today it is 1.55 or 9% difference.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of sweeping comment is that. I find that so offensive.I am on the show next week and I take it that my family and I are the 'detrius of society' that you spout about.

I would like to know why you choose to make a filthy statement against those you have never met or will ever know.
Well, I said it because some of these programmes do show people who whilst different all seem prepared to be led a bit. I have to admit, I'm actually considering the whole genre of these programmes, not just yours.

The main issue is that we went through 10 full days of filming for just 45 mins airing - of which Nicky Chapman munches up half with her lines. This means that a lot of what is coming over is taken out of context regularly. We were scripted to within an inch of our sanity

Finally, they get 100+ applicants a day for the show - so they do really vet.

We applied for the show and was accepted as we were deemed to be a little different/maverick to the normal.
[In the spirit of the programme, I edited one of your paragraphs to make it easier to reply to.]

I've noticed on these shows that occasionally they have a family who seem more with it than in other episodes...it's almost a blessed relief. I'm tipping you are one of them(!)

I suspect that in the main they need to vet people who will go along with the production team and when they find their different (maverick) family they still nonetheless need to ensure that they consider it a good fit - for their benefit and so there is no time wasting and expense on both parties part.

It's something therefore I would never do, even with best media presentation and locked down, so I do nonetheless think it takes a lot of guts.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Best of luck to the Wells family! It's all an experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.