Unemployed

Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:45 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Unemployed

Originally Posted by Seasider
I'm in the same position - sure a lot of us are. My coach keeps nagging me to join women's organisations, etc., but I'm resisting. I'm not great at the, "hello, how can you help me?", thing but I guess I'm going to have to learn. My friend here in Sydney has told me about a group called Business Chicks - they meet for champagne breakfasts so I might have to try that one.
Learning to network and be an outgoing happy bright spark is hard when you're not used to it. Most of us grew up in a reserved Britain whose watchwords were "Don't talk, don't make a fuss, keep a stiff upper lip" and if you dared speak out of turn or deem to want to better yourself then you were told "who do you think you are!"

Thats very different to the culture here, with it being so much more bold, affable and refreshing. It's a real plus if you can go up to people with confidence and a smile and say "Hi, I'm xxxx, and I do xxxxxxxxxxxx. Can you help me with xxxx xxxxxx?"

I'd always considered myself happy to be a "people-watcher" but now here I'm considered a "wall-flower" and got overlooked too many times for too many opportunities. I'm learning now to change that and force myself to be more & more gregarious and "in-yer-face" in an Aussie kind of way - but still a long way to go as the old traditions don't die easily!

Couple of places & organisations, which are good to network, that I'd strongly recommend:

Local Lions clubs (one in every town). Great opportunity to get to know the local movers and shakers. Lions clubs usually have contacts with major business's and local governments, etc. In addition to doing lots of good things for the community, being a member gives you a good networking base and also looks good on the CV.

Toastmasters clubs (theres one in nearly every town). They help people with public speaking and have regular meetings where they get together and have a social gathering (usually at a pub ) and give speeches. They're really great for improving confidence and also you get to meet lots of movers and shakers. You can go as a guest free and watch for while before joining in and speaking yourself. They give you all the info and tips to help you speak in public - and membership is amazingly cheap.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

Hiya, we are in the same boat OH has been looking for work for months now, hardly even gets his application acknowledged.
It is hard to network where do you go, the above suggestions may not suit everyone (OH is an electrician) and as he is currently doing the school run he is not able to get to tradies pub hours etc.

Claire
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:17 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hunt66
Hiya, we are in the same boat OH has been looking for work for months now, hardly even gets his application acknowledged.
It is hard to network where do you go, the above suggestions may not suit everyone (OH is an electrician) and as he is currently doing the school run he is not able to get to tradies pub hours etc.

Claire
It is certainly an unfortunate situation to be in if you are a recent emigrant (i.e in the last 12 months). Networking is a slow process when you have to build your entire personal and professional contact base from scratch again. It can be a frustratingly slow process when the economy is going well. In the current environment, even more so.

Keep chipping away and don't give up hope. Best of luck.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louH
Wondering how many others out there are looking for work and like me spend the day trawling Seek, Mycareer etc with the occasional break to see who's been posting on this site?

Maybe I'm the only one..............

Well i have the occasional break from helping my son.

Employers seem to be using them to do one day trial day ( as they so call it) of all the s*h*t jobs they wouldnt do, not paying them and then not getting back to them about the job.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordies4life
Im in the same position getting more and more depressed by the day while trying to keep 2 kids entertained with limited toys as the shipping is not due to arrive till april at least the wife has finally started work no thanks to the QNMC . I have had 3 interviews in the 5 weeks we have been here. fingers crossed the million or so jobs i have applied for will turn up something soon
I do so hope you find some thing soon as i only know too well how that feels.
Chin up and persevere.
Best of luck,
ausi.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I'm seriously thinking of joining the Freemasons. I was told years ago that if you are a Mason, you're set.
That's apparently because they only give work to there own.

So i was told by some one.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:08 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

4 weeks and counting.

Lost count of applications.

No interviews.

No replies.

Not much hope.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dave7370
4 weeks and counting.

Lost count of applications.

No interviews.

No replies.

Not much hope.
I landed here mid october had my electricians license sorted by the end of october and not a sniff at any work yet, my partner also has no work we have 2 kids and never thought we would have to budget for such a long period of unemployment. Probably got enough funds for another 6 weeks and then not really sure what we shall do, possibly sell the car to pay for flights back to UK. i cant even get a job pushing the trolleys round coles as they know as soon as a job in your field comes your way youre off!! I have applied for every suitable job, rang countless companies and driven round for days calling in on sites and still nothing.
Talk about living the dream, its turning into a nightmare.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

pommy will become famous soon enoughpommy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Chris Ball
I landed here mid october had my electricians license sorted by the end of october and not a sniff at any work yet, my partner also has no work we have 2 kids and never thought we would have to budget for such a long period of unemployment. Probably got enough funds for another 6 weeks and then not really sure what we shall do, possibly sell the car to pay for flights back to UK. i cant even get a job pushing the trolleys round coles as they know as soon as a job in your field comes your way youre off!! I have applied for every suitable job, rang countless companies and driven round for days calling in on sites and still nothing.
stick at it mate. iknow how you feel been here 6 months now given up looking for work me and a mate have started our own bussiness getting some interest now not worth going back much worse there good luck
jim
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

The recruitment/job market in Australia is definitely in a decline at present, while it is in a better state that the UK/USA it still doesn't really help those who have been retrenched or are looking for work. I know some good & experienced people who've been let go however companies are trying to survive and are having to make tough decisions. My sister was retrenched however managed to find another job within a couple of weeks, so there are jobs out there.

Have been in Australia now for 2.5 years and dealing with recruitment firms on a regular basis I can say there are jobs out there, it is tough, there is a lot of competition and wages are likely to be less than 18 months ago. I'm looking to recruit an experienced Business Analyst (Sydney) so there are jobs around.

In terms of networking, it is crucial, whether it is meeting people at the gym, bar, local club, shops.. Just talk to as many people as you can and use websites such as linkedin (www.linkedin.com) and facebook and try and connect with as many people as you can as you may find job prospects that have not been advertised or find a wqay to be fast tracked to an interview. For every job the agencies/employers will be receiving a lot of CVs so focus on making your CV stand out and/or very easily allow the reader see what you can offer and why they should interview you.

good luck to all

Alex
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

Good luck mate I really hope you find something soon.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about relocating within Aus? Would there be more opportunities elsewhere perhaps?
As Pommy suggested, could you set up on your own?

I wish you loads of luck because it must be such a huge worry for you all. K sent.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Joannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to all

I think we're all feeling the same at the moment we all took a huge gamble to come over during global recession, the frustrating thing for me is we should have been here a year ago if not for some scammers that caused the closure of an extra 5 point scheme mid application! Anyway we've been here since 8th Jan although have only been looking since the start of Feb, same story really checking Seek everyday, sent off loads of applications I've had one interview and thats about it. I have to say the recruitment process itself seems to be SLOW I had an interview at the start of Feb and had all but given up hope when two weeks ago I was told I'd made it through to the next stage...two weeks later I've still not heard a thing! Another job I'm interested in has been choosing which candidates to call for interview for three weeks now....I guess I'm saying hang in there you could still be in the running and not realise it! I wish things could speed up a bit and I hope you are all working soon...before day time TV drives us all crazy lol!!!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Red face Re: Unemployed

If you guys in the inside - onshore facing difficulty looking for job. What chance is there for pple like me on the outside - offshore ever finding one when we land, networking we got none, reference none as well.

Pardon for sounding sooo negative.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I'm seriously thinking of joining the Freemasons. I was told years ago that if you are a Mason, you're set.
Why would they want you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.