Unemployed

Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:19 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployed

Originally Posted by margy
Hi, just a quick update, unfortunately my OH's boss called last night and his company has gone into liquidation, so that's both of us without a job.

Sleepless night

The darkest hour is just before dawn.

M
really sorry to hear that i hope something is not to far away.

Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Hi, just a quick update, unfortunately my OH's boss called last night and his company has gone into liquidation, so that's both of us without a job.

Sleepless night

M
S&*%! Sorry to hear that - my OH is only getting about 3 days work per month so I know where your at and you really have my sympathy.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Kevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really nice

I'm also looking for work here in Victoria. Now into my fifth week and I really didn't think I would be out of work for this long. I have signed up with all the agencies and have told them I'm ready for any temporary office work they can throw at me. I had two days work a couple of weeks ago, but that's it.

I also trawl through Seek, MyCareer etc everyday but there just doesn't seem to be anything about. It's so depressing.

I got made redundant last year because the company I worked for relocated and although I loved the job, I just wasn't prepared to commute every day. After I was made redundant I quickly got offered a temporary job which lasted until the beginning of February - I hated every minute of that one, so I wasn't too bothered about it finishing, until now.

Unfortunately I don't know that many people so can't network too much. At least with the 'Stimulus Package' being offered it'll put a bit more funds in the ever decreasing pot until I finally get some work.

Good luck to everyone else out there, chin up!

Hazel
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:28 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Be careful - just recently I have discovered that not all relevant jobs are included in the alert so you may well be missing an opportunity. But then again maybe you didn't want to know that
Thanks for the warning. Most of my alerts are so vague that I get uggins more jobs than I need to in them, e.g., anything with the word "project" in it - that turns up so many construction jobs, of course. I did try to limit them by sector but I wanted more sectors than it would let me have, so had to do it this way. Now if only I could work out a way to get all my alerts into one, it would be much less time consuming than running them all. (I don't have them emailed, don't like the output.)

Sleepless night

M
Oh Margy, sorry to hear that. Best of luck.

I've only been looking seriously for about 6 weeks but in that time I have seen the number of ads reduce drastically, and the number of duplicates posted by the agencies increase to silly proportions. You are wasting my time, people.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:31 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevhaze
Unfortunately I don't know that many people so can't network too much.
I'm in the same position - sure a lot of us are. My coach keeps nagging me to join women's organisations, etc., but I'm resisting. I'm not great at the, "hello, how can you help me?", thing but I guess I'm going to have to learn. My friend here in Sydney has told me about a group called Business Chicks - they meet for champagne breakfasts so I might have to try that one.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

geordies4life will become famous soon enoughgeordies4life will become famous soon enough

Im in the same position getting more and more depressed by the day while trying to keep 2 kids entertained with limited toys as the shipping is not due to arrive till april at least the wife has finally started work no thanks to the QNMC . I have had 3 interviews in the 5 weeks we have been here. fingers crossed the million or so jobs i have applied for will turn up something soon
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Probably not the only one...

It's more about who you know in Aus, so you gotta get out there and "network" (I hate that word...)
absolutely
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Seasider
I'm in the same position - sure a lot of us are. My coach keeps nagging me to join women's organisations, etc., but I'm resisting. I'm not great at the, "hello, how can you help me?", thing but I guess I'm going to have to learn. My friend here in Sydney has told me about a group called Business Chicks - they meet for champagne breakfasts so I might have to try that one.
I'm short on contacts too

I checked out the business chicks site but its quite exey to attend one of their events - I am spending a small fortune on airfares going to interviews (my "I'll work anywhere" policy has its drawbacks!)

Would you give us all an update if you do go along?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:24 am
Auntie Fa

Sure. There is also http://www.workingwomensnetwork.com.au/ and http://www.swic.com.au/

Maybe we should all connect on LinkedIn if we are looking in similar fields?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Maybe we should all connect on LinkedIn if we are looking in similar fields?[/QUOTE]

I think this is a great idea - I work in Finance.

Got this gem to share - my hubba went to see one of the large agencies in Sydney today, he was told that they now accompany all of their candidates to interview and sit in on the interview!!!!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:22 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Things are looking bad.

I'm in the process of applying for ACT state sponsorship because I feel that I really need to get my family over there ASAP. But given the dire outlook, I'm now thinking again about it and might instead just go with the flow on my family sponsored application. At least then I'll be able to search the whole of Australia for work, and benefit from cheap temporary accomodation with my in-laws.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulry
Things are looking bad.

I'm in the process of applying for ACT state sponsorship because I feel that I really need to get my family over there ASAP. But given the dire outlook, I'm now thinking again about it and might instead just go with the flow on my family sponsored application. At least then I'll be able to search the whole of Australia for work, and benefit from cheap temporary accomodation with my in-laws.
I'd be going with family sponsored - finding a job in the ACT without citizenship is tough at the best of times.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:13 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I'm seriously thinking of joining the Freemasons. I was told years ago that if you are a Mason, you're set.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:21 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I'm seriously thinking of joining the Freemasons. I was told years ago that if you are a Mason, you're set.
But do you look good in a frilly pinny?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Short of contacts ... I know how that feels... but simple things like when you meet someone ask 'oh what do you do?' then they will ask you the same and you can tell them what you are looking for... they may know someone you never know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.