Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:49 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No I wouldn't and I wouldn't expect that published info to be all I got. If I liked the look of the information and it made sense then I would have someone round and 'size up the job'.

I want more up front info than most companies are prepared to offer. If I see a leaflet for Solar Energy, I would like to see more detail on that leaflet. Why can't they say that as of this date, a solar energy panel x by x costs $x. That in general a 4 x 2 house with four occupants would require x panels. It would give me enough information to research further without having a pointless sales pitch.

Am I going off tangent here? I've had a really crap morning and am not in the best of moods but I've always felt advertising leaflets to be totally barren in giving actual information and it's always bugged me.
This is all really good feedback guys, thanks!

The problem I have is the company I am going to, I think publishes too much information, to the point that I think the consumer can be overwhelmed by it all.

MoneyPenny, am I allowed to publish the website name on here for your feedback? As I am sure you will see what I mean by this
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I think there isn't enough freely available info out there to show whether or not solar power is a good investment.... I suspect that the reason for this, might be because it isn't (but I hope I'm wrong!!).

I'd want to know:
1) total installation cost? before and after rebates.
2) how long do these solar panels last? What is the useful life? Will they continue to generate the same amount of power, or will they slowly die over time?
3) do I have to spend any $$ on maintaining these things ? if so, how much and how often?

then in terms of benefits:
4) how much power will they generate?
5) what do the electricity companies pay me, if I send power back into the grid? is it the same $ that I pay them for electricity usage, or is it a lower number?
We have had a 1.5 solar going for 5 months -so far with the worst months
it has saved 50% of the power bill -your still up for the supply charge even if you cover 100% of usage.
1/rebates are on which zone your in (solar efficiency )and are REC,s -Renewable Energy Certificates - on a 1.5kWh system in Jan. 2011 will be worth 171 RECs X $40 =$6800 (not Melbourne thou )
2/power output is guaranteed 90% after 10 yrs and 80% after 25 yrs.
3/ maintenance is keeping the panels clean.......
4/How much power -(approx ) in Brisbane 4kWh per 1kW of panel / in Melbourne 2.6kWh per 1kW of panel -over 12 months
Lot of other factors are quality of panels and inverters ,wiring etc....
5/NSW pays 60c + for every kWh produced - this FIT (Feed in Tariff )is being reviewed at the moment.
in Qld they will pay approx double what your current rate is for -see here
http://www.cleanenergy.qld.gov.au/so...nus_scheme.cfm

further information available from Whirlpool - Lounges - Green
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/138?g=223
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
This is all really good feedback guys, thanks!

The problem I have is the company I am going to, I think publishes too much information, to the point that I think the consumer can be overwhelmed by it all.

MoneyPenny, am I allowed to publish the website name on here for your feedback? As I am sure you will see what I mean by this
You can, providing you're not touting for business which as I read it, you're not. Don't make a habit of it though, once you're on the payroll
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:57 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I've got solar electricity installed, about 900 watts. Cost to me was around $7000 after the government rebate and in general it halves my electricity bill (actually it more than halves the actual electricity cost - it's all the other bits on the bill which are always there!).

Economically justified? Probably not - my reasoning was that I reckon in a few years it will add significantly to the value of the property.

What needs to be explained properly is that you get the best benefit by using minimal electricity during the day, thus maximising what you are selling back into the grid (at a high price), then doing all your washing, ironing, etc in the evenings buying the electricity back from the grid at a lower price. It's best for couples without kids where both partners work all day and not much value for houses with stay-at-home housewives.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:57 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you could provide a potential customer with an example scenario, that might be useful... for example.

a) total current electricity usage in the house.
b) space available for solar panels, and max potential m2 solar panels that could be fitted on roof.
c) amount of energy that the solar panels would be generating on a sunny day, and on a cloudy day.
d) estimate of total energy being generated per year.... subtract this from (a) to work out potential savings.

Then I guess you could give the full costs of the product, and it would be up to the individual to determine whether or not it is a good investment.

Something like that anyway. good luck !

I would have been looking for some form of online calculator that allows me to enter the details that are specific to my house and electricity usage, and then calculates things like annual saving, the potential resale value of the electricity I am generating, and the total payback time in years.

S
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:58 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
what about a display home, one that was a normal home running everyday appliances with bills and reports on the running of the household's electricity usage over the previous year?
That would be good even a scale display model. Showing exactly the elements of the units.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:58 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mulben ! I'm going to do a bit of reading on whirlpool.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:03 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

You also need to be aware that in Queensland the buyback price of 44c/kWh hasn't changed even though the cost from the grid has gone up from 16c to 21c since we had our panels installed.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:06 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You can, providing you're not touting for business which as I read it, you're not. Don't make a habit of it though, once you're on the payroll
Yeah, defintely not touting, more looking for feedback on what I can do to improve it. I already have heaps of ideas but I figured that I am just a small demographic of the amount of people looking at the technology.

The company website can be found here
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I've got solar electricity installed, about 900 watts. Cost to me was around $7000 after the government rebate and in general it halves my electricity bill (actually it more than halves the actual electricity cost - it's all the other bits on the bill which are always there!).

Economically justified? Probably not - my reasoning was that I reckon in a few years it will add significantly to the value of the property.

What needs to be explained properly is that you get the best benefit by using minimal electricity during the day, thus maximising what you are selling back into the grid (at a high price), then doing all your washing, ironing, etc in the evenings buying the electricity back from the grid at a lower price. It's best for couples without kids where both partners work all day and not much value for houses with stay-at-home housewives.
That's the crux of it.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mulben ! I'm going to do a bit of reading on whirlpool.
Also check
http://www.pvoutput.org/ladder.jsp?p=1&o=pc&d=desc

you can search by clicking any of the headings -ie. postcode and see what type of yields people around you are getting.

Rough pricing is $2000 to $3000 on a 1.5kWh
$7000 to $10000 on a 3kWh

Do Not Go Near MODERN
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:20 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
Also check
http://www.pvoutput.org/ladder.jsp?p=1&o=pc&d=desc

you can search by clicking any of the headings -ie. postcode and see what type of yields people around you are getting.

Rough pricing is $2000 to $3000 on a 1.5kWh
$7000 to $10000 on a 3kWh

Do Not Go Near MODERN
Ok so I had a look at that ladder and clicked on someone who looks like they have a big system in Qld:

http://www.pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=35&sid=27

So on a good day they're getting about 39kWh... if that was all sold back to the grid @44c, that's approx $17 per day.

How much would a 6.120kW system cost to install I wonder.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so I had a look at that ladder and clicked on someone who looks like they have a big system in Qld:

So on a good day they're getting about 39kWh... if that was all sold back to the grid @44c, that's approx $17 per day.

I was quoted around about $16000 which included the rebate . . . that was a year ago.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Not sure on that but surprisingly ACT has the best limit on mini PV systems
30kWh valued at $130,000 is returning $23,000 a yr,its in the blog there somewhere in Whirlpool. 17% return Tax Free
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:34 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by mulben
Not sure on that but surprisingly ACT has the best limit on mini PV systems
30kWh valued at $130,000 is returning $23,000 a yr,its in the blog there somewhere in Whirlpool. 17% return Tax Free
any idea what the Qld limit is? If I can spend $130k and then get back $23k per annum, I'm sure I'm not the only person around here who is interested...

Knowing my luck I'd install it, then we'd have 2 years of cloudy, rainy days...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.