Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possible Brisbane Meet????

Possible Brisbane Meet????

Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Miss M is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds fantastic, count me in if I can, trying to get flights booked for 7th Dec so not entirely sure about dates yet but will keep updated. I've just been told by my other half it's only just down the road from us!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pete! That'll teach me to type slower!!!I'll get my own back, don't worry!!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Sabby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,
I have just moved back to Brisbane after almost 4 years in London. I have also managed to convince my lovely English boyfriend that he should come with me!
We have been here about 6 weeks and I know Glyn is missing his brit mates. We would really like to come out to Wynnum for the BBQ in December.
Can I put a vote in for the 14th?

Sabby and Glyn.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:45 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sabby will add you to the list . Miss M, let us know how you go & we will add you to the possibles list.

Ev & ian, it is lovely down there, especially in the afternoon when you get the sea breeze. Ev, I baulk at walking up some of those hills in Spring Hill too. OK, ok, I baulk at walking up any hills LOL.

Jaykay, we used to live not too far from Guildford, went shopping there a few times, quite a lovely high street.

Pete, yep, I did notice it, gave me a giggle too, but I was too polite to mention it
Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:54 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Now if you lot don't stop picking on my typing errors, I shall
mis-sort your post and you won't get your Christmas cards till Easter!!!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Excellent. Can't wait. We really need to expand our social group past my old uni friends and the people at the pub!
So is it definately the 14th?
And what time/address?
BYO meat and booze for the BBQ?
As for those hills, you should try living in Paddington! If it wasn't for the Cold Rock Ice-Creamery we'd never get over to Rosalie.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 6:00 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, lets make it definitely the 14th Dec, since everyone seems happy with that.

Now, lets tackle the time. My suggestion is 11am or midday (although someone will have to be there early to grab the tables!), then we can have lunch & a relaxing afternoon. Does that suit everyone?

For those that may have missed it, it will be on the Esplanade at Wynnum foreshore, where the main jetty & beach are, directly opposite The Pelicans Nest fish & seafood takeaway. There are toilets, a kids playground & a saltwater pool there as well (not sure that the pool will be open).

Things to bring - swimmer for those kids (big & little LOL) that would like to play in the water. Plenty of sunscreen (I'll have a huge bottle in case anyone forgets). Some insect repellant, although its usually fairly good just there. BYO drinks & meat for the BBQ. Chairs & tables if you have any (LOL ok, Im being optimistic, but its worth a try), otherwise we will have to rely on someone getting there very early & grabbing a whole covered area.

Anything I have forgotten?
Old Nov 20th 2003, 6:20 pm
Home and Happy

Sounds good to me, Mrs D. Think you have it all covered!J
ust off for a relaxing weekend in the country....! Can you answer me something - is it OK in Queensland to drink beer in the open, like at Wynnum? I know some places don't allow it. I'm not suggesting lurchingdown the street with a bottle in my hand (!!!), but is it OK to bring alcohol to a picnic like this?
Old Nov 20th 2003, 7:23 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by Pollyana
Sounds good to me, Mrs D. Think you have it all covered!J
ust off for a relaxing weekend in the country....! Can you answer me something - is it OK in Queensland to drink beer in the open, like at Wynnum? I know some places don't allow it. I'm not suggesting lurchingdown the street with a bottle in my hand (!!!), but is it OK to bring alcohol to a picnic like this?
Yep Polly, tis ok to bring a beer or 2 with you when you come along .
Old Nov 20th 2003, 7:32 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
is it OK in Queensland to drink beer in the open, like at Wynnum? I know some places don't allow it. I'm not suggesting lurchingdown the street with a bottle in my hand (!!!), but is it OK to bring alcohol to a picnic like this?
Do you think I would be going if it wasn't?
Old Nov 20th 2003, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Now that is interesting. I always thought alcohol in public places in Queensland was not on. So when the question was raised by Pollyanna I asked a legal friend of mine and she says that it is not usually allowed to consume alcohol except on licensed or private premises. She recommended calling the local council about that park/location and seeing what they say.
I would be most interested if there are exceptions to the blanket "no booze in public" rules that I remember from my Uni days.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:23 pm
WBB

Originally posted by DagBoy
Do you think I would be going if it wasn't?

a man after my own heart.

shame we wont be able to make the meet, but you all have a good time.

Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't get on here much now but glad I stumbled across this thread. We are arriving on the 7th Dec. and would love to meet up.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Sabby, hmmmmmmm very strange, while I know its a no no to be drunk in a public place, I have never heard of anyone ever being in trouble from drinking at, say, a family BBQ in the park etc. How many hundreds of thousands of people spend Xmas day *out* ie at the beach, local park etc, Im damn sure that they all have a few drinks! Same as for things like Fathers day & Mothers day, Anzac day, Australia Day etc.

Terry, will add you to the list then
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Does anyone have any ideas on the time of the Brisbane meeting? Our PC will be packed away on Thursday, so I'd like to make a note of all the details before we fly next Monday!

Dawn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.