Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:08 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I'm afraid that tree-hugging is full of good intentions but in the end the second law will beat us all if we continue to overpopulate.

And isn't it priceless that they've just discovered that trees produce hundreds of millions of tonnes of methane - a far more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2 - making tree-planting a bit suspect!
Firstly aussie needs more babies and children so that there will be enough taxation to pay pensions in the future as well as other services.

Secondly, no trees means huge oxygen reduction (the stuff that keeps you and the rest of us alive) Cows also produce methane, should we cull them?

Lets get honest here: its the industrial gases,coal burning, petrol &diesel powered vehicles etc that cause the problems.[/QUOTE]

The first para was tongue in cheek - but I still thought that it is ironical!

Your point about children is always trottedout and I am surprised it hasn't been seen through more often. Take it to its logical conclusion - those children themselves will need an even bigger child population for the same reason. And so will that population. Until everyone is standing shoulder to shoulder. Malthus was right in principle, if not in the timescale envisaged because of technology.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:16 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>If you can bear to rub shoulders with a population of insufferably smug middle-class tossers, then you'll love the place.<<

Chips surfacing again! <g>

Perhaps the reason they will love the place is because all those tossers have ensured it's worth loving?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:24 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
You can buy books on it and listen to community radio segments that feature the topic, ask where you buy the seedlings at (a local nursery is better for this), do web searches, etc etc

It is a pity that there doesn't seem to be agardenign show on tv about growing veges. Used to be one in nz years ago that was hugely popular. Thesedays it all seems to be home and garden makeovers lol
Gardening Australia (ABC, Sundays I think) has a running segment on growing vegetables at the moment. Not hugely informative but some practical advice.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:29 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Wol]
Your point about children is always trottedout and I am surprised it hasn't been seen through more often. Take it to its logical conclusion - those children themselves will need an even bigger child population for the same reason. And so will that population. Until everyone is standing shoulder to shoulder.QUOTE]

I tend to disagree:

1. Even if people live longer they will still die at some stage

2. I expect that the current system (given how the world and oz have been going over the last 20 yrs or so) will shift further in time to retirees being self funded (and perhaps providing incentives for people to go this way) and pensions to become a provision only for those who were unable for various reasons to self fund their retirement.

3. Retirement age is being reviewed with the possibility of it it being raised to 70 (provided we all make it)
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Errrrr, are you kidding?

What about Kath & Kim, sKitHouse, Russell Coight's All Aussie Adventures & all the old shows like Acropolis Now, The Comedy Company, Fast Forward, Full Frontal, Mother & Son & Comedy Inc? Or more recent stuff in the general talk arena like Good News Week, Denton, The Fat, The Glasshouse.
Nope. I appear to get none of these where I live. OK,OK, I think we've established I need to move from Gympie !

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Or great aussie comedy movies like The Castle, Muriel's Wedding, The Dish, Croc Dundee, Strictly Ballroom & The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert?
All good, though I think Crocodile Dundee might be scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit. Reminds me of the recent proud Aussie coverage of the G'Day LA festival, held in LA every year - to promote awareness of Australia as a cool destination to visit. They had all the great Aussie stuff, Aboriginals dance and art, a big barbie on the go. But then they wheeled out Olivia Newton John. I mean come on !!

Last edited by lostpom; Mar 16th 2006 at 12:55 am.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 1:03 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lostpom] But then they wheeled out Olivia Newton John.QUOTE]

And I think one John Travolta was there too.

Go Greased Lightening LOL
Old Mar 16th 2006, 1:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lostpom
And thats why a full english breakky in a greasy spoon costs you £4 rather than $16 upwards in Aussie cafes. You gets what you pays for, and personally I'd prefer the UK version.
Available in the Gold Coast, at tourist prices.............

Breakfast all day
  1. Scrambled Eggs made with cream and served on a buttermilk pancake $9.95
  2. Eggs Benediction (so good you'll talk about it) two poached eggs... smothered in warm piquant Hollandaise sauce resting on a slice of ham and a buttermilk pancake $10.95
  3. as above With Smoked Salmon $12.95
  4. Just Breakfast is two bacon rashers, two fried eggs, two hash browns and grilled tomato $9.95
  5. Canadian a short stack of buttermilk pancakes, whipped butter, two bacon rashers and a fried egg $11.95
  6. With the Works - even better - with an extra egg, grilled banana and pineapple $13.95
  7. Enormous Breakfast two sausages, eggs, bacon, tomato, two hash browns and mushrooms $12.95

Possibly cheaper in non tourist areas ?

Old Mar 16th 2006, 1:16 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And don't forget the half aspirin a day <g>
Old Mar 16th 2006, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Available in the Gold Coast, at tourist prices.............

Breakfast all day
  1. Scrambled Eggs made with cream and served on a buttermilk pancake $9.95
  2. Eggs Benediction (so good you'll talk about it) two poached eggs... smothered in warm piquant Hollandaise sauce resting on a slice of ham and a buttermilk pancake $10.95
  3. as above With Smoked Salmon $12.95
  4. Just Breakfast is two bacon rashers, two fried eggs, two hash browns and grilled tomato $9.95
  5. Canadian a short stack of buttermilk pancakes, whipped butter, two bacon rashers and a fried egg $11.95
  6. With the Works - even better - with an extra egg, grilled banana and pineapple $13.95
  7. Enormous Breakfast two sausages, eggs, bacon, tomato, two hash browns and mushrooms $12.95

Possibly cheaper in non tourist areas ?
Wel I can't argue with those prices.

DAMN ! God, I so shouldn't have read that. I got as far as Eggs Benedict and my stomach let out an almighty roar. Must eat...Must eeeeeeat
Old Mar 16th 2006, 1:44 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. I appear to get none of these where I live. OK,OK, I think we've established I need to move from Gympie !

All good, though I think Crocodile Dundee might be scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit. Reminds me of the recent proud Aussie coverage of the G'Day LA festival, held in LA every year - to promote awareness of Australia as a cool destination to visit. They had all the great Aussie stuff, Aboriginals dance and art, a big barbie on the go. But then they wheeled out Olivia Newton John. I mean come on !!
http://www.kathandkim.com/

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/

http://www.abc.net.au/glasshouse/

Just for a start .

Most are either on ABC or repeats of the old shows on Foxtel. I agree, you need to get out of Gympie .

BTW, love it or loathe it, Croc Dundee is the highest ever box office $ aussie movie (and number 4 in the top ranking films of all time behind Titanic, Shrek2 & Lord of the Rings - Return of the King) & is absolutely most definitely a piss take of aussies .
Old Mar 16th 2006, 2:05 am
ABCDiamond

Wel I can't argue with those prices.

DAMN ! God, I so shouldn't have read that. I got as far as Eggs Benedict and my stomach let out an almighty roar. Must eat...Must eeeeeeat
Funny you should say that, I had to get my lunch straight after that

But I felt like a quick drive down to Surfers for those pancakes They ARE really nice. Better than the "greasy spoon" I remember

Old May 28th 2006, 7:32 am
experienced member

Lordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud of
Cool Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Quote Vash the stampede:

And on the basis of the OP's yardstick, Birmingham (which didn't become a proper city until 1731, and today consists largely of 19th Century buildings and a few half-hearted attempts at modern infrastructure) has no history whatsoever, no old buildings, and no culture.

That's because it was heavily bombed in World War 2 !!!!! There's nothing wrong with Birmingham, compares very favourably with Brisbane IMO! And aactually it is steeped in history going back to Roman Times - you need to do your research!!
Old May 28th 2006, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, love it or loathe it, Croc Dundee is the highest ever box office $ aussie movie (and number 4 in the top ranking films of all time

Nope, not even close, 125th according to this list All-time Worldwide Boxoffice .

Last edited by BenandPam; May 28th 2006 at 10:41 am.
Old May 28th 2006, 12:32 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Navel lint, or more commonly belly button lint or fluff, is an accumulation of fluffy fibers in one's navel.

Many people find that, at the beginning and end of the day, a small lump of fluff has appeared in the navel cavity. The reasons for this have been the subject of idle speculation for many years but in 2001, Dr. Karl Kruszelnicki undertook a systematic survey to determine the ins and outs of belly button fluff. His primary findings were as follows:

* Navel lint consists primarily of stray fibers from one's clothing, mixed with some dead skin cells and strands of body hair. The rotting cells can create unpleasant odors.
* Contrary to expectations, navel lint appears to migrate upwards from underwear rather than downwards from shirts or tops. The migration process is the result of the frictional drag of body hair on underwear, which drags stray fibers up into the navel.
* Women experience less navel lint because of their finer and shorter body hairs. Conversely, older men experience it more because of their coarser and more numerous hairs.
* Navel lint's characteristic blue tint is due to the existence of blue fibers in most clothing.
* The existence of navel lint is entirely harmless, and requires no corrective action.
Old May 28th 2006, 12:32 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Originally Posted by Lordhorrace
Originally Posted by Vash the stampede
And on the basis of the OP's yardstick, Birmingham (which didn't become a proper city until 1731, and today consists largely of 19th Century buildings and a few half-hearted attempts at modern infrastructure) has no history whatsoever, no old buildings, and no culture.
That's because it was heavily bombed in World War 2 !!!!!
I understand this, but it still doesn't explain the dearth of culture. And London was bombed more than any other city, but it still has a wealth of history to offer.

Incidentally, Darwin was also bombed heavily during WWII, but I'll bet that most Brits aren't aware of this.

There's nothing wrong with Birmingham, compares very favourably with Brisbane IMO!
Well, I haven't been to Brisbane, so I can't comment.

And aactually it is steeped in history going back to Roman Times - you need to do your research!!
No, the location has historical links which extend back to the Bronze Age. Birmingham itself (which has only existed since the 18th Century) does not.

Big difference.

BTW, most of Australia has historical links to the Stone Age (via the Aborigines) which extend back around 30,000 years; but all you ever hear from British history snobs is "There's no history here."

All I can say to that is "If you think 30,000 years of Aboriginal history and culture doesn't count towards Australia's historical heritage, don't expect me to be impressed when you start waffling on about a handful of Roman relics in some remote corner of the British isles."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.