Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Wikiposts

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Originally Posted by WendyC
My hubby said we are not having a TV :scared:
Get Austar! For $65 a month you can watch all the old UK and American cr*p as well! Like Property Ladder, Antiques Roadshow, Easters, Corrie, Casualty, Little Britain and all other comedies. And it has 9 channels of the Commonwealth games on tomorrow so I will be happy.

I remember paying for Sky in the Uk as the TV there was so bad too....
Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:59 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
>>The will of the people is definitely there; Australians are environmentally conscious, and would love to do more for the planet if they could. But they are stifled by weak governments, powerful lobby groups and bent politicians with conflicts of interest.<<

Oh, purleeese!

Are we talking about the country which has more rubbish lying around than anywhere else I've seen? Where having six children seems to be something to be celebrated? Where the average house wastes more energy through medieval insulation and air gaps than a small country in the Balkans uses in a year? Where new homes have to have energy-intensively-produced rainwater tanks, pumps and plumbing to save water for the washing machine? And skylights to save a few watts on lighting at the expense of hundreds of watts of heat loss?

There are too many people sitting around banging on about the environment while at the same time chucking their McDonald's wrappers to the ground!

I'm afraid that tree-hugging is full of good intentions but in the end the second law will beat us all if we continue to overpopulate.

And isn't it priceless that they've just discovered that trees produce hundreds of millions of tonnes of methane - a far more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2 - making tree-planting a bit suspect!
You forgot to mention all the critters and plants they have wiped out by introducing things like cows. rabbits and frogs for starters.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaj
Get Austar! For $65 a month you can watch all the old UK and American cr*p as well! Like Property Ladder, Antiques Roadshow, Easters, Corrie, Casualty, Little Britain and all other comedies. And it has 9 channels of the Commonwealth games on tomorrow so I will be happy.

He said we won't have time to watch TV. Also he said I'm limited to 1 hour a day BE time.

Do you think he wants me to stay here
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:02 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tinaj

You don't need Austar for "Antiques Roadshow" and "Little Britain", they are both on free to air at the moment. ABC & CH9

Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:08 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You don't need Austar for "Antiques Roadshow" and "Little Britain", they are both on free to air at the moment. ABC & CH9
Previous series of 'Little Britain' and other well known British shows are available from ABC shops on DVD
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:14 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid that tree-hugging is full of good intentions but in the end the second law will beat us all if we continue to overpopulate.

And isn't it priceless that they've just discovered that trees produce hundreds of millions of tonnes of methane - a far more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2 - making tree-planting a bit suspect![/QUOTE]

Firstly aussie needs more babies and children so that there will be enough taxation to pay pensions in the future as well as other services.

Secondly, no trees means huge oxygen reduction (the stuff that keeps you and the rest of us alive) Cows also produce methane, should we cull them?

Lets get honest here: its the industrial gases,coal burning, petrol &diesel powered vehicles etc that cause the problems.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by arkon
You forgot to mention all the critters and plants they have wiped out by introducing things like cows. rabbits and frogs for starters.
You shouldn't the blame the British for everything. Actually though, it was only the Cows and Rabbits that the British brought in. And frogs are OK anyway.

Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Previous series of 'Little Britain' and other well known British shows are available from ABC shops on DVD
Question:
Do you think the Aussies 'get' Little Britain, or is just laid on for the UK sourced viewing public ?

I just can't seem to get a grasp of what the Aussies see as humour (apart form winding yer mates up). I'm not having a pop at them - I just don't feel like I understand what they see as humour.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lostpom
Question:
Do you think the Aussies 'get' Little Britain, or is just laid on for the UK sourced viewing public ?

I just can't seem to get a grasp of what the Aussies see as humour (apart form winding yer mates up). I'm not having a pop at them - I just don't feel like I understand what they see as humour.
I have to say that I'm not really a fan of Little Britain, I think it's a bit over-rated myself.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by WendyC
I have to say that I'm not really a fan of Little Britain, I think it's a bit over-rated myself.
Jesus WendyC ! I just noticed your post count. What on earth have you gossing about ?

Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
>>
And isn't it priceless that they've just discovered that trees produce hundreds of millions of tonnes of methane - a far more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2 - making tree-planting a bit suspect!

For those in the know, tree planting has always been a bit suspect. Planting trees has little or no effect on the environment. It's cutting down established ecosystems which is the problem. If so many of us could check our shopping a little more carefully and stop buying goods with Palm oil in (which is why the trees are cleared anyway - for palm oil plantations) then there wouldn't be as much money in it. But oh no, we like our cookies and instant food so we'll carry on buying and they'll carry on slashing and burning.

I intend to build a solar passive mud brick house, using brown water for toilets, washing and garden in Aus, plus my own veg and chooks.
The sun's free... and you can get grants for solar panels in new builds or you could last time I looked.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:42 pm
Banned

Jesus WendyC ! I just noticed your post count. What on earth have you gossing about ?

Fraser's posts (I think. I know it was someone I looked at today, is over 15,000 posts).

This place can become addictive LOL
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I intend to build a solar passive mud brick house, using brown water for toilets, washing and garden in Aus, plus my own veg and chooks.
The sun's free... and you can get grants for solar panels in new builds or you could last time I looked.

Do you think it should be mandatory for everyone to live like this, with a Energy consumption limit per person written into the Constitution ?

Personally speaking the more Energy we consume, the more comfortable I seem to be.

After working my 41 hour week (includes overtime) I can see myself relishing the prospect of stuffing around in my garden tending veggies in 35 plus degrees. Nope I'll be watching my big screen TV, in 23 degrees of supercooled air conditioned well earned comfort. Whilst looking forwards to Driving up to the lakes area of Nagambi, in my air cond, fuel guzzling 4.2 litre very comfortable Ford, for a muck around on my mates Super powered Ski Boat christened the Global Warmer. "can you hear it'
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can talk about ANYTHING and usually do 4000 + posts, not bad for 4 months work is it
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Do you think it should be mandatory for everyone to live like this, with a Energy consumption limit per person written into the Constitution ?

Personally speaking the more Energy we consume, the more comfortable I seem to be.

After working my 41 hour week (includes overtime) I can see myself relishing the prospect of stuffing around in my garden tending veggies in 35 plus degrees. Nope I'll be watching my big screen TV, in 23 degrees of supercooled air conditioned well earned comfort. Whilst looking forwards to Driving up to the lakes area of Nagambi, in my air cond, fuel guzzling 4.2 litre very comfortable Ford, for a muck around on my mates Super powered Ski Boat christened the Global Warmer. "can you hear it'
Heck, you can't force people to do stuff they don't want to at the end of the day, so I'd never think it should be mandetory, but energy supplies and changing weather are going to mean we will HAVE to change or we'll die out. The world will be fine ... it'll be us who won't. It therefore makes sense to be as green as possible.
If you don't care, then fine. Eventually you will as will everyone I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.